PDA

View Full Version : new method for applying HSF to CPU!

Madpistol
01-19-08, 04:56 PM
I tried something different this time.

After cleaning off the surfaces on the CPU and HSF, I applied a good bit of the Thermalright compound that came with my Ultra 120 extreme. Then I took a paper towel and spread it out over the surface of the CPU. After I finished this, I blotted the entire surface of the CPU until it was sort of "sticky" feeling. Then I reapplied the HSF to the CPU, bolted it all together, and turned on the system.

The proof speaks for itself. This CPU is about 2-3 degrees Celsius cooler than before at idle. Of course, this is after the Thermal compound had settled over 6 months ago. The fact that it's 2-3 degrees cooler and I just applied it makes this a huge success! At this point, I'm not sure there's a point in lapping the surface of the HSF. This is pretty close to perfect. :D

Ntune reads:

Idle:
CPU 34
System 30
GPU 55

Bear in mind that the only temp that is truly constant is the system, so the GPU and CPU are compared off of that. This is about a 5% increase in cooling efficiency! (nana2)

Anyway, thought I'd share my experiences. I can't wait till the thermal paste settles. Then it's really going to be cool! :D

mythy
01-19-08, 05:29 PM
thats not a good way at all you can get lint fibers and air pockets in there :p

Madpistol
01-19-08, 05:31 PM
thats not a good way at all you can get lint fibers and air pockets in there :p

:headexplode:

If my CPU starts burning, I'll know why. ;)

mythy
01-19-08, 05:34 PM
lol The best way is to use a line or a BB sized drop and try to apply even pressure. If your Heat sink is lapped this becomes more important then if its stock. Stocks are humped in the middle and that helps push out any trapped air. Lapped tho brings other issues into play with regard to air pockets.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-19-08, 05:41 PM
you probably didn't have it seated as well before. The way you are doing it right now(at least with AS5) is a good way to get debris and air pockets...

Madpistol
01-19-08, 05:46 PM
The HSF fit incredibly flush though. Last time I tried to mount it, the HSF moved wayyyy to much, but I went ahead and put it on that time. It idled @ 38C starting out. Now, I used a lot less, and it seems to be working just fine. I really like that the HSF is much more resistant to movement this time. I will probably run it on Orthos for a while tonight to see what sort of temperatures I can push after a very long burn in session. If it's too high, I'll reapply it.

What sort of cloth do you guys suggest for next time?

BTW, I ran Orthos for about 30 minutes. Ntune reported max 51C Core, 32C System, and 57C video. Bear in mind that this is while there is almost NO airflow in my case. Every fan is set to its lowest setting, so it's almost inaudible.

Madpistol
01-19-08, 06:04 PM
UPDATE:

Just booted up my computer @ 3.6Ghz (1.52Vcore) Memory: 800mhz, and FSB 1600mhz. I also upped my front fans to their high setting. Idle temps look great

CPU 43C
System 28C
GPU 53C

I'm going to torture my system for a little while to see if it's stable. :D

LORD-eX-Bu
01-19-08, 06:06 PM
yeah, the fact that your hsf moved around before shows that it wasn't seated properly... glad that you have it seated properly now :)

I would suggest just any lint free cloth.. you can get em at wal mart or at the gas station.

Madpistol
01-19-08, 07:31 PM
Torture test: Orthos

Highest temp:

Ntune: 68C
Core temp: 69C (each core)

I think this is going to be the theoretical limit of overclocking on this processor for 100% stability. Anything past this is going to be "suicide run" only and will not be stable.

I think this is pushing it a little though. I may back it down to something like 3.55Ghz if it means I can back the voltage down a little.

mythy
01-19-08, 07:41 PM
dude those temps SUCK! No really 69C is a bit high for only a dual core I mean I am at 58C full load per core on a Q6600 at 3.4 you really need to reset it again and maybe lap it.

Edit: Just for comparison when I kill 2 cores in bios my max load temp is 51C Core Temp. (You should be around there :) ) My advise is to Hit up Ace hardware and grab some multi grit packs of there sandpaper and a pack of 1500 (3M brand) Then start to lap that ****!

Madpistol
01-19-08, 07:54 PM
Yea... I agree... these temps are high. hmmmmmmm.... :(

mythy
01-19-08, 07:56 PM
What direction did you mount your ultra, Vertically? What fan are you using?

Keep in mind mine is lapped and my IHS is as well and I got the perfect fan as well :D

Madpistol
01-19-08, 11:06 PM
It's mounted so that the fan is under the HSF, so the airflow is going up and out the 200mm top fan. it's an EVGA 680i SLI motherboard, so I'm not sure it's possible to mount it any other way.

I really am going for a system that is very quiet. I really am not for extreme overclocking. I just want a powerful and quiet system. If lapping will drop my temps that much, I will do it for sure. However, if making my system that cool is at the expense of silence, I would rather not do it.

So what fan are you using mythy?

mythy
01-19-08, 11:28 PM
I am a silent frEaK! I am using a 9 blade Slip Stream fan 88CFM at 60%. I choses this fan for its dence fan blades and small hub assembly. It has a much larger coverage area and really helps cool the thermalright when using low fan speeds. I tried a bunch of others but this one works the best :D

http://www.svc.com/sy-1225sl12h.html

Mounting is possible vertically on the 680i (I used to have one :( ) Suffice to say I am glad I no longer do :headexplode: Either way tho it shouldn't make much of a difference. I was just wondering about the fan position. For me lapping my 120 drooped me 6C but it was clearly convex now my CPU had raised outer edges and center (most do) lapping that as well yielded me jack ****. Still I am glad I did it :p Now I re lapped her a few times and I found that leaving the surface rough (800 grit) works best when paired with MX2 thermal paste. and it gave me a 2C drop VS a mirror finish... So for me I got a 8C drop for $20 in sand paper :D Not bad at all! Keep in mind tho the installation makes all the difference in the world! If the heatsink slides around a bit or feels lose then thats a good thing because its floating on the thermal paste before you tighten her down. If its stuck on and hard to move then you have suction which means theres air trapped inside (bad)...

urgh to many smiles.. any way good night I'm tired and need some sleep :p I'll try to make more sense in the morning!

Madpistol
01-19-08, 11:43 PM
I will take a look at those fans. They do look really nice. As for lapping, I'm not sure. I'll check into what it would take in terms of sandpaper to do this.

Slammin
01-20-08, 12:17 AM
MP, you had a good idea in applying the compound to the HS but you should use a plastic sandwich bag to do it (rub it in) and once you do it, the only way you should be able to tell that you applied the compound is due to the dull luster. You shouldn't be able to actually see the compound. The purpose is to fill the 'pores' in the surface, and nothing more.

I always do this with my blocks. For the CPU, I apply the amount, and method according to AS5 web site.

XDanger
01-20-08, 01:58 AM
with ceramique you apply it to the HS then clean it off (and use something else)