PDA

View Full Version : ThermalTake is a piece of ****!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gaco
01-20-08, 07:45 AM
Remember about 5-6 months back when I came in and bragged about my new several 1000$ rig and the temps I got with OC? And that you guys said that TT is POS and those temperatures were unrealistic? Well you were right. The pump just stopped working and I guess it's only because my motherboard have such good safety measures buildin that my CPU didn't get fried (the waterblock was VERY hot to touch after the PC shut down by itself). My friend and I build the exact same computer with same specifications and same case, and though his is still working he says that the pump is emitting weird sounds. The TT Aquabay M5 which was supposed to show the water temperature never worked for either of us either!! TT - cheapass junk unworhty for the rest of my hardware :thumbdwn:

I'm using the TT Kandalf LCS silver case and I'm seriously considering not only to change the watercooling system but also the case to a much more compact one, not this mammoth TT piece of crap. I just saw that there actually is another thread going atm with watercooling recommendations, so I guess we could keep that talk there despite the fact that I don't really see anything but chit chat in there :p

So I'm now looking for a new interal water cooling system, a new case preferrably the smallest possible and in any case I'll let this thread serve as a warning against ever buying ThermalTake watercooling products. I know that you've said this all along but I bought my rig before I heard anything negative about TT. You were right. TT sucks.

BTW if any of you know of a good forum with guys knowledgable about watercooling and such please direct me, I REALLY want some reliable quality this time :)

Feyy
01-20-08, 07:47 AM
Sad to hear that, atleast the CPU survived.

For anyone going watercooling be it beginner or advanced, i would always recommened a custom build kit where you just choose all parts yourself.
Alot of people can help you here with that :)

Gaco
01-20-08, 08:00 AM
Sad to hear that, atleast the CPU survived.

For anyone going watercooling be it beginner or advanced, i would always recommened a custom build kit where you just choose all parts yourself.
Alot of people can help you here with that :)
I'm totally 100% up to that! Screw the time and diffilculty I save when I buy something build-in, I simply don't trust it anymore (not unless I see a cavalcade of super reviews at least), so I'm all up for the custom build. I just have one condition: It needs to be quality! 1. priority: reliabilty, 2. priority: performance. I don't care much for the price as long as it's within reasonable limits (not costing as much as a car or something). GOD I'm so annoyed but at the same time motivated right now.. I'm taking up all recommendations for cases, watercooling systems and forums right now! :captnkill:

SH64
01-20-08, 08:15 AM
I'm happy with the Kandalf , though i'm not using watercooling.

Feyy
01-20-08, 08:33 AM
For CPU block i'd recommend D-TEK FuZion w/ Water Accelerator Nozzle Kit
Radiator: Thermochill PA120.3
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
For GPU blocks you can get DangerDen ones or swiftech.

An example for starters ;)

Gaco
01-20-08, 08:53 AM

Ok :)

Two questions: Can that fit into the case making it internal? As much as I want quality, I'd really like it to be internal so the case is optimally mobile.
And what about tubing?

Feyy
01-20-08, 09:26 AM
It should fit, that case is fairly big. Only trouble might be with the Thermochill radiator, but if you check the dimensions on their website should be fine.

Im not very knowledgable with tubings so somebody else will help you there :D

mythy
01-20-08, 09:35 AM
Go with Tygon 1/2 For the pump custom heads help koolance and petra make some great ones for the 655

Gaco
01-20-08, 10:46 AM
I'm currently reading a lot of good reviews on XSPC X20 Water Cooling Kit right now and getting warm on this product. Does anybody have an opinion on this?

Anyway I'm still kind of considering aircooling.. My major needs are reliable cooling, silent cooling and enough performance to just OC my Q6600 to 3.0 ghz, around there would be fine. I'm still undecided on whether I want to change the Kandalf LCS Silver case I'm using right now to something more compact.

conroejoe
01-20-08, 10:52 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1525392&postcount=25

http://www.Xtremesystems.org/forums is the place to discuss water cooling gear. Don't even mention TT to them though haha!

Mythy - tygon is overpriced, Masterkleer FTW. Clearflex = cheap but stains quick!

If you got money the Silverstone TJ07 is a great water cooling case, no mods needed with the bottom compartment. Dual even triple can fit there. The Lian Li v2000 ( shown in my thread above) is nice too, you dont really have to mod anything either, although I did for the rad.

Gaco
01-20-08, 11:05 AM
Ok I'm coming to my senses now.. I will not consider a pre-made cooling kit at all actually. Either I'm gonna do it the right way or I'm going back to aircooling - no in-between solutions for me either. I'll read up some more and get back to you as I go :)

Gaco
01-20-08, 12:41 PM
Here the picture of how it looked back when I bought it and how it looks currently:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...page=2&post#20

It looked and still looks awesome though with a broken pump there's not much to do. When I look back on those pictures I can hardly make myself change the case after all :o

I'm really still in doubt about what I do next. Either I want to go the most expensive and best aircool solution in a smaller case (though not too small or the CPU fan won't fit I guess) or I could go with an full-blown expensive water cooling system. Though choice really :/

conroejoe
01-20-08, 01:00 PM
Here the picture of how it looked back when I bought it and how it looks currently:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...page=2&post#20

It looked and still looks awesome though with a broken pump there's not much to do. When I look back on those pictures I can hardly make myself change the case after all :o

I'm really still in doubt about what I do next. Either I want to go the most expensive and best aircool solution in a smaller case (though not too small or the CPU fan won't fit I guess) or I could go with an full-blown expensive water cooling system. Though choice really :/

Go with water but do it right this time. Worm drive clamps, decent tubing. You could even go with a Swiftech MCR 220 rad for like $45 stay away from the DD1 even the ones with modded tops, they die.

MCP655 $70
D-Tek Fuzion $60
MCR220 $45
10ft tubing $10
clamps, T parts with fill port ~$30

Those TT pumps are rated for 400 l/hr. An MCP655 is rated for 1500 l/hr. The Thermaltake stuff just can't compare.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-20-08, 01:03 PM

:headbang:

Go with Tygon tubing, definately worth it :)

Riptide
01-20-08, 01:09 PM
I miss my Lian Li PC62. A full 23" worth of depth. Man, that case was EASY to work with.

Smaller cases are teh suck IMO.

$n][pErMan
01-20-08, 01:15 PM
I have a Thermaltake Armor series case and love it. Then again im not using WC :p

walterman
01-20-08, 01:44 PM
Selecting a case is a very personal decision.

I've the black armor, and, for my needs, i love it.

It weights around 17 KG (empty), and with all my hw i'm sure it weights around 25 KG (or more). You must be tough guy to carry it :)

The black armor is made of steel, and when you touch it, you even could think that it could save your life in case of explosion :D

But seriously, it's a great case, and i love it.

About the Thermaltake water cooling solutions, they suck, i've tried those wc kits, and the quality of the parts & the performance is horrible.

Last year i helped a friend with his water cooling setup, and we put a BlackIce Extreme GTX 360, another BlackIce GTX 120, an Apogee GTX, and dual laings. Everything inside his black armor, and there was still space to add more parts.

:D

LORD-eX-Bu
01-20-08, 01:45 PM
I'm using the TJ-09 and I love it.. tho for serious water cooling I would recommend the TJ-07 as it is a bit easier to setup with larger radiators :D

mythy
01-20-08, 01:59 PM
now that I got a new job I'll be picking one up my self. I'm having trouble picking the rad tho $120 for aPA3 is a bit out of my budget I got $65 max for my rad setup :(

Gaco
01-20-08, 02:06 PM
One of the biggest advantages with high quality that would be stupid not to try is the increased overclock potential. But with experiences from my OC attempts on my current rig I'm concerned that my RAM may be a limiting factor. Are they?

mythy
01-20-08, 02:07 PM
ram is no issue up to 3.6GHz on a Q6600 with a 9X multi

LORD-eX-Bu
01-20-08, 02:10 PM
yeah your ram seems fine. Mines is rated for the same speed and it does 1200 Mhz easy, I think I've gotten it up to 1230 mhz.. you won't have a problem with yours.

Gaco
01-20-08, 02:16 PM
Ok, sounds good. I'm probably gonna guy additional 2x1 gb of the same real soon, 2gb just doesn't cut in anymore (Think Crysis).

I'd be very happy to receive any case recommendations right now though it cannot be a very compact one since I'm currently leaning most to a high-quality water cooling solution, internally (I'm not so much anti-ThermalTake that I won't ever touch their cases again, but I just wouldn't touch their LCS if I got payed to do so) :)

Gaco
01-20-08, 03:20 PM
Ok I just found my favorite PC mag, a danish magazine called PC Player, October issue 2007 where they made the dream machine. I've been inspired to now choose to buy a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 case.

Here is the water cooling they used, I'm thinking about just buying the same because I think they know what they're doing :)

Waterblocks: Swiftech Apogee CPU waterblock, Swiftech VGA water block
Pump: Laing Danger Den DD12V-D5
Reservoir: They just mentioned it as "a Danger Den reservoir with black coolant" :/
Radiator: They just mentioned it as "a swiftech radiator" :/

LORD-eX-Bu
01-20-08, 03:27 PM
probably the MCR220 as it is one of the only radiators that will fit in that case.

I'd recommend a D-tek fuzion with accelerator nozzles and a MCP655.. whatever res is good but meh, whatever floats your boat :)