PDA

View Full Version : Instantly overclocking a card?

ATOJAR
01-20-08, 09:09 AM
As the name says, how safe is it to Instantly overclock a brand new graphics card? does it actually make a difference? ..... normally i would wait maby a week or two before i overclocked my card just to make sure everythings running fine, but what if i fitted a new card and started to overclock it Instantly? does it make a difference? ... when you get a new card what do you do? wait a while before overclocking or just start overclocking straight away?

Feyy
01-20-08, 09:18 AM
Well some people like to some burn-in tests and establish idle/loads temps.
However i'd just start overclocking straight away. Its what i did with my 8800 GTS and i never faced any kind of problem. I'm too impatient and excited when i get a gfx card anyway :D

Delbert
01-20-08, 09:20 AM
I overclocked mine as soon as it was put in the case and i had rivatuner installed.
Okay, i did not go crazy straight away... but i put +70mhz on the core immediately.
For everyday use i have run my 8800GTS-512 at 720/1800/2000 ( core/shaders/mem ) since it has been installed.

ATOJAR
01-20-08, 09:57 AM
Ive been thinking of selling my card(see sig)& putting a few extra quid to a new GTS 512MB and overclocking it! .... would i notice much of a difference do you think? is there any point?

Ive heard the new GTS 512MB's overclock very well.

methimpikehoses
01-20-08, 11:01 AM
Ive been thinking of selling my card(see sig)& putting a few extra quid to a new GTS 512MB and overclocking it! .... would i notice much of a difference do you think? is there any point?

Ive heard the new GTS 512MB's overclock very well.

I would wait for the new 3870X2 or the 9800GTX2. It won't be long, and I doubt the GTS is head and shoulders above the GT in most apps.

Preparat
01-20-08, 11:43 AM
Iv oeverclocked every card i had since my Savage3D from day 1 to the haighest it could go. Never had a problem. So yeah i think all the rituals are bull****