PDA

View Full Version : Help with my DGL-4500 setup please

Stoneyguy
01-21-08, 08:13 AM
I recently picked up the D-Link DGL-4500 (http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=643&#DGL-4500) gaming router. The reason for the purchase is because it supports the 802.11a standard. I wanted to use this for my Xbox 360.

What I didn't know was that if I used the "a" standard on it's 5GHz frequency I could no longer use the "g" standard on it's 2.4GHz frequency. Does anybody know of a way that I could accomplish having both standards operating at one time? Even if there was a way to set it up using my old router (Dlink DIR-625) in combination?

This is the components of concern in my household:

Main PC: 680i motherboard with 2 NICs both hardwired to router
Wife's Laptop: Sony that has G and N standard support
Xbox 360: Using Microsoft's USB wireless that supports "g" and "a"
PSP: uses "g" setting
HP Printer: it has built in "g" wireless
Daughter's PC: hardwired to router, only one NIC

bacon12
01-21-08, 01:24 PM
I have this router and love it but I have no need for wireless. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

lduguay
01-21-08, 02:08 PM
You can use both routers. Connect one LAN port of one router to another LAN port on the DGL. I believe that mdi-x autosensing is supported on both routers, otherwise you would need a X patch cable. It would be better to use static addresses on the DIR (disable DHCP), also leave your WAN port open on the DIR.

Stoneyguy
01-21-08, 04:08 PM
You can use both routers. Connect one LAN port of one router to another LAN port on the DGL. I believe that mdi-x autosensing is supported on both routers, otherwise you would need a X patch cable. It would be better to use static addresses on the DIR (disable DHCP), also leave your WAN port open on the DIR.

Thanks for letting me know this is possible. Do you know of any site that can help me with step by step instructions? I did what you've stated but I have no idea on how to access the second router to set it up.

*update*: seems like I have most things working now. More testing is needed, but it looks like everything was working as should (my PSP was slow though). Thanks again for leading me down the right path lduguay. I also have to monitor the heat level as I have the 2 stacked on top of each other.

Bman212121
01-23-08, 12:04 AM
Oh **** man!!!! I didn't know they came out with a new version. This will more than likely be my next router. Glad they went with gig all the way around and 802.11n. This should make it compatible for DOCSIS 3.0 devices or FIOS once they start getting closer to 100mbit.

Dragunov
01-24-08, 01:21 PM
well u can change for my DGL-4300, it works, I tried it :D

Stoneyguy
01-26-08, 10:21 AM
Oh **** man!!!! I didn't know they came out with a new version. This will more than likely be my next router. Glad they went with gig all the way around and 802.11n. This should make it compatible for DOCSIS 3.0 devices or FIOS once they start getting closer to 100mbit.

You should wait for the DIR-855

Bman212121
01-26-08, 09:40 PM
You should wait for the DIR-855

What other features will it offer over the 4500?

Stoneyguy
02-05-08, 08:22 PM
What other features will it offer over the 4500?
Sorry, I didn't realize you responded. Anyway, the difference is that the 855 will be true dual band. It will be able to simultaneously operate at 2.4 and 5 ghz.

Bman212121
02-09-08, 02:44 PM
no problem. I usually stumble upon old threads that I forgot I posted in.

True dual band could be worth getting the other one instead, but I'm not sure if I would need that because everything I have can only do 2.4ghz anyway.

Kamikazi2142
09-23-11, 10:11 AM
the 4500 is either 5ghz or 2.4ghz, the new ones coming out are simultaneously both 5ghz and 2.4ghz, they advertise "two routers in one"

sorry to do this, but i need any help i can get here (http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=41219.0).