PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Partition Recovery...

DoItForTheKids
01-22-08, 08:10 PM
Hi all,

Ok so I have this hard drive that had it's partition accidentally deleted, and has not been formatted. I really need the files on this hard drive, but cant do anything with it right now. I have used various programs on it, and seems to hang while scanning on a certain sector.

The hard-drive is in RAW status, and i tried to chkdsk, but doesn't seem to help either.

Is the only option I have is to do a quick format and then try to recover?

Anyone with tips or suggestions will be helpful!

- Thanks!

Bearclaw
01-22-08, 08:40 PM
Well, if you reformat then it's gone. BOOM HEADSHOT. There might be some programs out there that can help you out but I am not sure.

RaidenWoW
01-22-08, 08:49 PM
Download "SpinRite"

Use spinrite.

mininova has it.

stncttr908
01-22-08, 08:59 PM
Well, if you reformat then it's gone. BOOM HEADSHOT. There might be some programs out there that can help you out but I am not sure.
Incorrect. If you do a "quick" format then the data is still there, but the sectors are marked as "unallocated" or blank. You can use data analysis tools (many of which are available for free under Linux, such as Autopsy, TheSleuthKit, etc.) to try and get some valuable data back. Only if you do a full format is the drive written over with zeros or other junk data. Even then, the Department of Defense standards require this to be done at LEAST seven times.

Also Acronis Disk Director can recover lost partitions.

Bearclaw
01-22-08, 09:01 PM
Incorrect. If you do a "quick" format then the data is still there, but the sectors are marked as "unallocated" or blank. You can use data analysis tools (many of which are available for free under Linux, such as Autopsy, TheSleuthKit, etc.) to try and get some valuable data back. Only if you do a full format is the drive written over with zeros or other junk data. Even then, the Department of Defense standards require this to be done at LEAST seven times.

Alright Mr. Smarty Pants.

stncttr908
01-22-08, 09:04 PM
Alright Mr. Smarty Pants.
Please don't claw me. :o

nekrosoft13
01-23-08, 10:29 AM
this will save you
http://www.partition-recovery.com/

CaptNKILL
01-23-08, 10:41 AM

Full formats don't write zeros either.

You actually have to use zero writing software to completely clear off a drive.

Just the other day I repartitioned and formatted a drive in XP (a normal "format" in disk management, not a quick format) and easily recovered all of the data that someone later said they wanted to keep. :lol:

I used Easy Recovery Pro. Excellent program. :)

Bman212121
01-23-08, 11:57 AM

Just the other day I repartitioned and formatted a drive in XP (a normal "format" in disk management, not a quick format) and easily recovered all of the data that someone later said they wanted to keep. :lol:

+1 We have a copy of it at work for those unfortunate incidents. I've been able to salvage data many times even when a floppy disk went bad.

DoItForTheKids
01-23-08, 12:27 PM
Update:

Ok so I can't even format this hard drive due to that one bad sector -

any ideas?

Tr1cK
01-23-08, 12:32 PM
Update:

Ok so I can't even format this hard drive due to that one bad sector -

any ideas?

Buy a new HD. They are pretty cheap now.

stncttr908
01-23-08, 01:13 PM

Yeah, you're right. Didn't realize this. :D

For what I mentioned you can get a bootable CD containing the DoD overwrite cycles if you're paranoid. You can also use dcfldd, an enhanced vesrion of DD for Linux.

Capt. Picard
05-04-08, 10:25 AM

Linky please? Is it free or not?

I made a huge fukuppy

nekrosoft13
05-04-08, 02:11 PM
http://www.killdisk.com/

jam789
07-11-08, 07:01 AM
Hi all,

Ok so I have this hard drive that had it's partition accidentally deleted, and has not been formatted. I really need the files on this hard drive, but cant do anything with it right now. I have used various programs on it, and seems to hang while scanning on a certain sector.

The hard-drive is in RAW status, and i tried to chkdsk, but doesn't seem to help either.

Is the only option I have is to do a quick format and then try to recover?

Anyone with tips or suggestions will be helpful!

- Thanks!

Do not format your drive.If you format your drive you will lose your data.It become difficult to recover it.Try partition recovery (http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm) software.This software helps you to recover your complete data with ease. It helps you to search, locate and recover your lost, missing, inaccessible or deleted data.It is noon destructive read only read-only utility helps you to recover your data lost due to accidental format, virus problems, software malfunction, file or directory deletion, unexpected shutdown, or even sabotage.It is powered by ‘Raw File Recovery’ feature that recognizes & recovers more than 300 file types including documents, spreadsheets, web content and images.