PDA

View Full Version : How do I transfer one hard drive to the other?

RaidenWoW
01-22-08, 09:51 PM
I have a 200gb hard drive internal.

I purchased a 500gb internal hard drive from Seagate.

I want to make a mirror image of my 200 onto the 500. I want to retire my 200gb. How do I transfer ALL the data including windows files, etc. so that it's a mirror image?

stncttr908
01-22-08, 09:54 PM
Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, or any other imaging tool. The best (and cheapest, aka FREE) solution would be getting Knoppix LiveCD and using the Linux DD command. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

However, this does require some knowledge of Linux command line and how Linux treats hard disks. The aforementioned products are very GUI driven and easy to use, but not free.

Then you could use GParted (Linux-based partition tool) to either expand the partition to the full size of the drive or make new partitions.

Bearclaw
01-22-08, 09:58 PM
Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, or any other imaging tool. The best (and cheapest, aka FREE) solution would be getting Knoppix LiveCD and using the Linux DD command. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

However, this does require some knowledge of Linux command line and how Linux treats hard disks. The aforementioned products are very GUI driven and easy to use, but not free.

Then you could use GParted (Linux-based partition tool) to either expand the partition to the full size of the drive or make new partitions.
What he said. :)

stncttr908
01-22-08, 10:03 PM
Right. If those are the only two drives you have they will be known to Linux as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. To use the DD command you would do something like this:

sudo dd -if=/dev/sda -of=/dev/sdb

You'd have to verify which was which first. I recommend using Helix Live Lunux (http://www.e-fense.com/helix/) for this very reason. It has TheSleuthKit pre-installed, which has a lot of useful tools, such as disk_stat.

disk_stat /dev/sda would tell you the capacity of the first drive, and therefore which drive it is (the 200GB or 500GB).

Confused yet? :D

RaidenWoW
01-22-08, 10:23 PM
Yes.... *pirates Norton Ghost*

stncttr908
01-22-08, 10:34 PM
Well...I guess that's one way. :headexplode:

AthlonXP1800
01-22-08, 10:49 PM
Just DONT use Norton Ghost, the last time I made an image of my old laptop hard drive and next time I restored the image but an error message came up so there was no way I can restored it. Then I had to downloaded some program to extracted files from Norton Ghost image.

After that I tried Acronis True Image and made an image of hard drive and tested restored and all fine perfect, much safer to use than Norton Ghost.

CaptNKILL
01-23-08, 12:16 AM
Yeah I'd avoid Ghost as well.

An older version totally borked my system last time I tried using it. I wouldn't touch that program again.

Bearclaw
01-23-08, 12:42 AM
I have a copy I bought and never ended up using if anyone wants it... lol.

...Seriously.

Take it for free.

Bman212121
01-23-08, 12:42 AM
What about stacking them on top of each other and using a sledgehammer? That should transfer the data much quicker than ghost. (nana2)

supra
01-23-08, 12:58 AM
i used acronis to transfer 180gb to a 250 (was c: drive with windows installed)

worked flawlessly

einstein_314
01-23-08, 01:01 AM
Acronis is the way to go. I've never had a problem with it.

bacon12
01-23-08, 01:14 AM
Be careful with your syntax using dd or you can say bye bye to your data. It is a very powerful command, but thats how I copy a drive.

Bearclaw
01-23-08, 07:19 AM
Acronis. :) I have used it and it has always worked for me. Just make sure you have all the settings right or else it might wipe one drive or the other accidently.

stncttr908
01-23-08, 08:45 AM
Be careful with your syntax using dd or you can say bye bye to your data. It is a very powerful command, but thats how I copy a drive.
Haha, definitely. The first million times I used it I was just playing around in Virtual Machines in my forensics class. :D

One wrong flag and you're F'd in the A.