PDA

View Full Version : Heat reduction in BFG 8800GT 512

jimbo1mcm
01-23-08, 03:47 AM
In a not too well ventilated case, one small case fan, my new BFG 8800GT 512 idles at about 64 degrees with the fan at 29%. When I used NTune to change the fan to 100%, the temp came down to 53 degrees. That setting is too loud, so I changed it to about 47% and the temp is now 59 degrees. Anything over that fan setting and it gets noticeable. I really don't want to modify the card since my space is so tight. It is in a 3 sided alcove with no ventilation out the back. I am getting a fan to evacuate air out of the back of the alcove. It might drop the temp a little. BFG acknowledges that the card runs warm. We'll see how long it lasts. Anyone else have experience with this particular card?

ATOJAR
01-23-08, 04:44 AM
yeah i have the BFG 8800 GT OC 2 512MB version .... The stock coolers on these cards really suck! .... im sure my card idled at around the 55c and load must have been in the mid 90c's(playing COD4 & Crysis), i tried removing the stock cooler and removing the thermal compound and replacing it with Arctic Silver 5! ... if i remember rightly that dropped the temps to around 55c idle and around 85c+ load, for me this was still to warm especially at stock clock speeds! ... So i placed a Zalman VF900-CU Copper cooler on there & also used AS5 thermal compound! .... this dropped the temps to around 45c idle at stock speeds and load was maby 65c - 70c ..... I was quite happy with this, this gave me some room to overclock. :D ... now with the clock speeds in my sig my card idles at around 49c ... load is mid 70c's.