PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new RTS game to play

mcolbourn
01-23-08, 07:24 AM
I have played Supreme Commander and DOW a lot and have got board of them now. Does anyone recommend another good RTS. I am looking at COH or CNC3 but are there any other good ones.

nekrosoft13
01-23-08, 08:04 AM
Universe at War, got good reviews from few places. Also some places compare it to Starcraft. 3 extremely different races.

mcolbourn
01-23-08, 10:02 AM
Is that the one that works on Live so you can play aginst Xbox 360 users?

nekrosoft13
01-23-08, 10:11 AM
i don't know, 360 version is not out yet. plus i'm not going to buy the game, don't want to support LIVE

Bman212121
01-23-08, 10:23 AM
World in Conflict. It's a really fun game with a twist to it. Instead of having tons of units there are a handful of units for you to control each with their own abilities. It is very team oriented as there are 4 different classes to play; Infantry, armor, air, and support. Any class can get some of the units from the other classes, but the best units are limited to their class. This makes it so you have to work together with other players to be successful.

If you want to play solo or two players they also have a "few player mode" which allows you to control a lot more units and you can get all of the units no matter what class you are.

SH64
01-23-08, 03:42 PM
Universe at War
Universe at War is a poorly accepted title.

:p

methimpikehoses
01-23-08, 04:56 PM
COH is a winner... I like Medieval 2 as well, but it's not a pure RTS. There are RT battles, but also a full turn-based strategy map.

LycosV
01-23-08, 05:34 PM
Although World in Conflict is a strategy game in real time, I don't really consider it a RTS. You have to have some base building to be a real RTS IMO.

Anyway, I'd go with Company of Heroes and C&C3. Both are great games.

Gaco
01-23-08, 06:05 PM
Definently Company of Heroes. CNC3 doesn't even compare IMO. CoH is so much more refined and complex in underlying rules yet simple in gameplay, easy to learn hard to master etc., it's hard to describe in few words but it's just pretty much the perfect RTS game IMO. I am a passionate RTS gamer and have played Red Alert 1& 2, Age of Empires, Warcraft 3, C&C: Generals, C&C3 etc. and I can honestly say that CoH might be the best RTS ever in my book. It has it's share of faults, but it's not in game design or balance, it's in the stability of the online system, connection issues etc., but when the game is so good I can easily forgive it's errors (though in certain situations I can damn it all to hell also :p). CoH is simply more tactical, more intelligent, less "spam-the-best-unit-in-the-game-to-win"-game , it's more than that. You REALLY need to use your brain creatively and be smart to win. It's one of those games that are utterly and completely different everytime you play (even in cases with the same units).

World in Conflict wasn't my cup of tea either; felt too red alert'ish, too much focus on unit blobs, tank wars and airstrikes, not really deep strategy - the missing resource aspect takes away depth as well IMO. This is just my opinion, I know other people like it so don't you shouldn't necessarily rule it out because of me, but it just a more simplified and more repetitive experience to me. CoH defiently has a steeper learning curve but at the same time it's very streamlined and totally worth it in the end.

Anyways I think I've made my recommendation clear. There was a COH bundle with the exp. pack also on steam at some point, I don't know if it's still available.

kev13dd
01-23-08, 06:26 PM
Anno 1701 is my all-time favorite RTS (besides Armada 1 and 2 of course)

It's not the same as all the other hardcore RTS that put more focus on destroying the enemy than anything else. I found myself caring more about the economy and happiness of my citizens than I did about screwing over the other guys

At least download the demo is all I can say

K

stncttr908
01-23-08, 06:40 PM
Play CoH. Now. Go. Then the expansion.

Then I guess you could play World in Conflict and Command & Conquer 3.

nekrosoft13
01-23-08, 07:11 PM
Universe at War is a poorly accepted title.

:p

i hope so

ChaoticNick
01-23-08, 07:55 PM
Medieval II: Total War is amazing, though it isn't totally an RTS. You play on a turn-based campaign map but then the battles are fought in real time.

For pure RTS, Company of Heroes/Opposing Fronts, C&C3, World in Conflict are all fine choices.

MowTin
01-24-08, 12:34 AM
I find RTS games too time consuming. I really gave them a try but I feel like to be competitive you have to read through all the strategies on the forums and play over a hundred games each over an hour long.

And I hate base building, unit building and resource management. It's more like a race to see who can build faster. Is there a purely strategic RTS type game. Something like risk the board game in real time :)

My copy of COH is gathering dust. But if you like RTS games I think you'll love it.

methimpikehoses
01-24-08, 01:04 AM
I like Medieval 2. Some RTS elements, but also a strategy map that is turn-based.

Amuro
01-24-08, 01:10 AM
My favorite RTS is Star Wars Empire at War. If you haven't played it, should give it a try. Oh and get the Gold Pack that includes Forces of Corruption expansion.

mcolbourn
01-24-08, 02:29 AM
OK I have ordered COH + Exp pack. I got them for both together for 18.

kev13dd
01-24-08, 03:28 AM
My favorite RTS is Star Wars Empire at War. If you haven't played it, should give it a try. Oh and get the Gold Pack that includes Forces of Corruption expansion.
That game was awesome at first. I dunno if it's worth a purchase but if you love Star Wars and RTS it definitely worth a try out

K

nekrosoft13
01-24-08, 11:21 AM

decent game, but for some reason didn't intrest me that much

Amuro
01-24-08, 08:42 PM
decent game, but for some reason didn't intrest me that much
I'm huge Star Wars fan, so it's a must have for me, though I'm generally not into RTS.