PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2 Gets Unlockable Weapons

Pages : [1] 2

poullos
01-23-08, 10:40 AM
Starting with just two new items for the Medic, Valve are going to be gradually rolling out new, unlockable weapons for every class. These will be alternative versions of their current loadouts that, once unlocked by earning a certain number of achievements, you can pick and choose from on a new 'Loadout' menu.

The unlockables aren't just beefed up versions of the weapons, they balance major advantages and disadvantages to fundamentally alter the role of that class. The first Medic unlock, for example, is called the Overhealer. Instead of temporarily buffing people's health to 50% above their normal maximum, it permanently boosts them to double their standard health. The downside is that it'll be dramatically worse at building Ubercharge - in fact, Valve are toying with not letting it Uber at all.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180201&site=pcg

(nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

CaptNKILL
01-23-08, 10:50 AM
cool!

:D

Sounds very interesting.

Mr. Hunt
01-23-08, 10:56 AM
Might get me to play TF2 some more again.

ArrowMk84
01-23-08, 11:28 AM
Hmmm... Lets get some ideas for other classes:

Demoman: Proximity Mines (it's Golden Eye all over again!)

Pyro: The ability to lay down lighter fluid, creating a wall of fire. Or a napalm gun that works like UT's biorifle.

Heavy: Recoilless rifle. Slow rate of fire, but massive area of effect! It'd be great for clearing out sentry clusters on dustbowl, too! Also, an upgraded ammo load for the minigun - tracer rounds that light people on fire!

Soldier: A machine gun; half way between the sniper's Thompson and the Heavy's minigun. Limited ammo and high rate of fire make it good for quick assaults, but bad for long fights. Or sticking with the soldier's insane personality, the shovel gets upgraded to an instant kill chainsaw!

Spy: Tag, your it! The spy could replace his sappers with a tag that makes that enemy player more likely to get nailed with a critical hit.

Sniper: explosive bullets, but with a slower rate of fire.

Engineer: Barricades. They would have a high amount of hit points, making them the perfect obstacle for the other team and the perfect cover for yours. Great for blocking off paths in Hydro. Also, they could get grenade launching turrets - not very accurate, but good splash damage.

Scout: Radar. Lasting thirty seconds or until it's destroyed, this drop-able device would highlight enemies and sentries in the area, making them visible through walls (a ghost effect). This would be very useful for breaking defenses.

mullet
01-23-08, 12:49 PM
Heavy: After getting max kills gets a signature series Tony Hawk skateboard to get around the map better.

Scout: gets a bat in each hand.

Engineer: Gets to hit his wrench twice as fast to his Sentry.

Solder: Gets unlimited supply of yard darts. Able to blot the sun out with them.

This is all I can come up with in 21 seconds. :p

ArrowMk84
01-23-08, 01:16 PM

And to think I wasted my lunch hour coming up with mine... :)

mullet
01-23-08, 01:18 PM
And to think I wasted my lunch hour coming up with mine... :)

twoshay!!

CaptNKILL
01-23-08, 01:46 PM
Hmmm... Lets get some ideas for other classes:

Demoman: Proximity Mines (it's Golden Eye all over again!)

Pyro: The ability to lay down lighter fluid, creating a wall of fire. Or a napalm gun that works like UT's biorifle.

Heavy: Recoilless rifle. Slow rate of fire, but massive area of effect! It'd be great for clearing out sentry clusters on dustbowl, too! Also, an upgraded ammo load for the minigun - tracer rounds that light people on fire!

Soldier: A machine gun; half way between the sniper's Thompson and the Heavy's minigun. Limited ammo and high rate of fire make it good for quick assaults, but bad for long fights. Or sticking with the soldier's insane personality, the shovel gets upgraded to an instant kill chainsaw!

Spy: Tag, your it! The spy could replace his sappers with a tag that makes that enemy player more likely to get nailed with a critical hit.

Sniper: explosive bullets, but with a slower rate of fire.

Engineer: Barricades. They would have a high amount of hit points, making them the perfect obstacle for the other team and the perfect cover for yours. Great for blocking off paths in Hydro. Also, they could get grenade launching turrets - not very accurate, but good splash damage.

Scout: Radar. Lasting thirty seconds or until it's destroyed, this drop-able device would highlight enemies and sentries in the area, making them visible through walls (a ghost effect). This would be very useful for breaking defenses.
Good ideas. I was thinking of a similar thing for the pyro.

Like, a real liquid fuel flame thrower (as opposed to the propane tank thing) that has longer range and leaves burning fuel on surfaces but carries significantly less ammo.

Or they could bring back some of the things from TFC. Like the flame rocket launcher, napalm grenades, cluster bombs, medic poison (I bet this is the second medic unlock), gas grenades to make people hallucinate (excellent counter for snipers), caltrops, concussion grenades...

Man, I can't wait.

TF2 is a great game and one definitely worth adding to. :)

Mr. Hunt
01-23-08, 02:23 PM
I like that Spy idea, but how about something that replaces the current sapper and makes it so enemy sentries will attack their "friendlies"... sort of a way to trick the sentries to attacking their own.

Bearclaw
01-23-08, 02:30 PM
Heavy: After getting max kills gets a signature series Tony Hawk skateboard to get around the map better.

Scout: gets a bat in each hand.

Engineer: Gets to hit his wrench twice as fast to his Sentry.

Solder: Gets unlimited supply of yard darts. Able to blot the sun out with them.

:lol2:

ChaoticNick
01-23-08, 03:38 PM
New achievements+maps+weapons...I love Valve.

(nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

evox
01-23-08, 05:59 PM
I just hope it doesn't mess the overall game balance of TF2. aside from that, can't wait :D

JigenD
01-23-08, 06:21 PM
I dunno, it worries me because it sounds like they're butchering the game.

I just don't think they should be modifying a game that's as good at TF2 is like this. It sounds like they want to be like COD4, or Battlefield 2, but I always hate the innate balance issues that such things always bring.

Alaa
01-23-08, 07:06 PM
TF2 is a great game and one definitely worth adding to. :)
QFT!!!!

crainger
01-23-08, 08:52 PM
Not playing till Someone gets a Freezeray... ::(:

Dirthead
01-23-08, 09:01 PM
I like that Spy idea, but how about something that replaces the current sapper and makes it so enemy sentries will attack their "friendlies"... sort of a way to trick the sentries to attacking their own.

Sounds cool to me use a snapper to blow it up or the "unlockable"tool which makes sentry guns fire at there side,I think it would be cool but my be a problem coding it
"

$n][pErMan
01-23-08, 09:08 PM
I played TF2 for like 8 hours total and got bored... it was like TFC... but cartoonish and no nades... was boring IMO. Has something changed worth playing this thing again?

CaptNKILL
01-23-08, 09:45 PM
snapper
:lol:

Anyways, I just thought of something that needs to make a return.

EMP grenades. :headexplode:

Seriously, the demoman problem on the "high skill" servers is out of this world. You never notice just how overpowered that class is until you join a server full of people who know what they are doing. You can try 5 different classes but it wont take long to realize that demoman is the only class worth using against experienced players. There is one 24\7 dustbowl server that always has intense and very coordinated battles and it seems like the teams tend to be 75% demos after the first couple minutes. And the only way to combat them is to choose demo yourself.

EMP grenades would fix that pretty quick. They basically turn a demoman into a gigantic bomb that no one wants to be near, let alone play as... :p

Sobbsy
01-23-08, 10:12 PM
Unlockables... Do not want, this isn't Battlefield. At least just add new weapons and let everyone have them all at once.

poullos
01-24-08, 09:35 AM
I think this better be put here now the topic is hot:

Official CTF_Well out in a few days!!!!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180349

(nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

mullet
01-24-08, 10:19 AM
I think this better be put here now the topic is hot:

Official CTF_Well out in a few days!!!!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180349

(nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

Thanks for the update dude. Looks good.

CaptNKILL
01-24-08, 11:38 AM
CTF_WELL!!!!! WOO!!!

:D:D

They really should make more CTF maps. I'm a bit disappointed that badlands is going to be control point based.

nekrosoft13
01-24-08, 12:23 PM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180201&site=pcg

(nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

sounds good

CaptNKILL
01-24-08, 12:45 PM
Err... wait a minute.

Why did they say Thursday 23rd of January? :p

Today is Thursday the 24th. :p

poullos
01-24-08, 01:47 PM
Heh, I know. It's almost Friday here so it better be today whatever that day is elsewhere. :D