PDA

View Full Version : That some impressive budget memory, Corsair!

loafer87gt
01-23-08, 04:42 PM
I just got around to installing Vista x64 yesterday and in preparation for the install I was sure to grab the lastest BIOS for my Bad Axe 2 motherboard. Before flashing, I reset my processor to default speeds, and left my memory at the manually defined 667 divider settings. The flash went without a hitch, and I went to install a dual boot of Vista at my CPU's default speeds. Once I got everthing installed, I bumped my processor and FSB speed back up from the default of 266 to 350 and enjoyed some Crysis fun under the new 64 bit OS. Anywhoo, after playing for about an hour I had the program drop me to desktop without any warning. I thought maybe Vista was having some problems with my old XP safe overclocked settings, and grabbed OCCT to do some stability testing. After running full load for about 45 minutes, OCCT failed on me. Frustrated, I went back to my BIOS settings and was shocked to find that after the flash my memory divider had been upped to DDR 800 and that I was running my 2x2GB Corsair XMS 6400 modules at 525 (1050DDR) speeds with the default 1.8 volts!!! I lowered my divider back to 667, and everything is working rock solid again, but I can't believe the sticks even posted, let alone worked as well as they did, at such aggressively overclocked settings. When I have some more free time this weekend, I am going to see how well the sticks like extra voltage and see if I am able to get the sticks stable at these previous speeds.

Not too shabby for $100 worth of memory!

npras42
01-23-08, 06:04 PM
That's pretty impressive as you say. Most 'enthusiast' memory would flounder miserably at anything remotely like that.

XDanger
01-23-08, 06:31 PM
AND THEY ARE 2gb STICKS!!!!
Thats some random QC right there.

2.1v and a dominator fan and you're sorted.

loafer87gt
01-23-08, 09:20 PM
The funny thing is, I used to have 4 x 1 GB sticks of Dominator 8500 and they would not post at all using the 800 divider. Apparently the memory controller on the older 975 boards just isn't capable of running that many high voltage dims at those kind of speeds. I do have a Dominator fan, but unfortunately my 8800GTX sits quite close to the bottom retension clips on my ram and there isn't room for the side brackets on the fan cooler.

XDanger
01-26-08, 01:38 PM
erector set bracket from the drive bay

LORD-eX-Bu
01-26-08, 01:48 PM
man and my corsair memory just took a dump. Well, one module is out... so I am left with one gig of dominator 8500C5D :o

had it up to 1220mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v stable with no errors in memtest... too bad, I guess when I RMA it they will switch my modules with quimoda based ones instead of micron..

I think next time I will go with another brand.

Tr1cK
01-26-08, 01:57 PM
Has anybody checked this out yet?
http://hardwarelogic.com/news/134/ARTICLE/2468/2008-01-23.html

LORD-eX-Bu
01-26-08, 02:04 PM
wow thats a good price, too bad they look fugly :lol: