PDA

View Full Version : nvlddmkm.sys 8800 GTS 512 Vista

a7a8a6
01-23-08, 08:29 PM
I received my 8800 GTS 512 mb after I took the Step-up program from EVGA for my old 8800 640 GTS. So I popped the card in and booted up the computer and formatted my computer using the Vista disk and installed the OS(Vista Home Priemium). After Vista was installed, I installed the latest i680 motherboard drivers which also installed fine. After reboot, I downloaded the latest video card drivers off the website and installed them. Installation went fine and I was asked to reboot the PC. I rebooted the PC and after the windows logo I received a very staticky looking screen, I loaded up safe mode, did system restore and downloaded the beta drivers available and I got BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys pointing to be the cause.

Well I was very dissapointed at that point since I was really hoping I could run some games after 2+ weeks of downtime from the Step-up program. Anyways, to test if it could be my computer, I formatted the computer using windows xp. I was able to install the latest drivers fine. I tested out 3dMark and I got 10.7k points without any crashes.

After that, I googled the issue and tried couple of things. One of them was to increase the voltage on CPU FSB and SPP. Another was to downclock the RAM to 666MHz since it could be a conflict with DDR3 on Video card and DDR2 on the board. None of them worked.

At this point I am wondering If anyone else have gotten this problem here and was able to find a solution. I had installed Vista about 10 times last night. I just don't want to switch back to Windows XP after paying $270+ for Vista OS that was working fine on a 640mb version of the card. Any help/suggestions are appreciate and sorry for the long post.

My Configuration is

Core 2 Duo E6600
EVGA i680 SLI board
8800 GTS 512 Mb
4 gig Mushkin RAM DDR 800
150 GiG WDC 10k RPM Drive
X-Fi Platinum Soundcard.
550W Antec True Power PSU

$n][pErMan
01-23-08, 09:45 PM
Have you tried more than one set of drivers? Did you download the correct drivers for x64? Have you tried running only 2GB of memory at first then run all 4GB after everything is setup (someone somewhere said that might be an issue). The nvlddmkm.sys has been a huge pain in the ass for most people... but your case sounds pretty severe.

a7a8a6
01-24-08, 08:19 AM
I have tried versions 169.21 169.25 and beta 169.28 ... I even tried the ones the disk that came with the card. I did download the correct drivers for each type of Vista Install ... I installed both versions of Vista(32bit and 64bit), None worked. I do have 4 gigs of Memory, I will try to remove 2 sticks and see if it works with 2 gigs.