PDA

View Full Version : Reverse PSU fans?

RaidenWoW
01-24-08, 05:10 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182070

I have that product. I also have a Cosmos 1000 case which doesn't have enough air intake. I need to reverse the PSU fans so that they suck air in instead of trying to push air out.

How do I do this?

Q
01-24-08, 06:24 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182070

I have that product. I also have a Cosmos 1000 case which doesn't have enough air intake. I need to reverse the PSU fans so that they suck air in instead of trying to push air out.

How do I do this?

I think you should take a step back and think about this some more...

The hottest exhaust on your machine (save the video card now) will normally be the PSU. The last thing you want to do is start pumping that hot air into your case.

The Cosmos doesn't really NEED dedicated fan inputs due to its design. The two 120mm fans on the top and the one in the back create create enough negative pressure to suck in air through the hard drive cage for most of your needs. The 120mm mounted in the bottom should cool the video card and lower mother board sufficiently.

But if you are STILL feeling paranoid (like me), you can properly mount a 120mm fan on TOP of the hard drive cage pushing air up. All you have to do is take out the little bracket thing as indicated in the manual for the case.

But if you are STILL feeling paranoid (like me) after THAT, well.... you see the little grate facing the motherboard on the hard drive cage? Well, I mounted a 120mm fan there with zip ties. The big piece of plastic that funnels air in from the back pushes against it quite nicely if you've zipped it on right.

With the exception of the problem I was having with my q6600 (long story, I think my processor's IHS is warped badly), my cooling in this case rocks. My 8800 runs cool and my hard drives never peak above 38c. And if you use the right fans, it's quiet as well. Then again that Rosewill PSU is likely the loudest thing in your case right now...

Madpistol
01-24-08, 07:49 AM
Do NOT reverse your PSU fan! If you do that, not only will it push hot air into your system, It will also void your warranty on the PSU, and you could really hurt yourself if you don't know what you're doing when you open up the PSU.

LORD-eX-Bu
01-24-08, 10:35 AM
do it do it!

RaidenWoW
01-24-08, 11:21 AM
lol. k thanks ppl.

My problem is this: There's not much air going OUT the back of the PSU because it can't suck in enough air from inside the case because the air's being sucked out by 3x120mm fans. So I believe the PSU will overheat... You get waht I'm saying?

Q
01-24-08, 11:57 AM
lol. k thanks ppl.

My problem is this: There's not much air going OUT the back of the PSU because it can't suck in enough air from inside the case because the air's being sucked out by 3x120mm fans. So I believe the PSU will overheat... You get waht I'm saying?

There is a vent under the PSU that should help. Also, the fan on the PSU will ramp up if it gets hot enough. The fact there isn't much air coming out probably means that the PSU is already adequately cooled.

RaidenWoW
01-24-08, 12:54 PM
There is a vent under the PSU that should help. Also, the fan on the PSU will ramp up if it gets hot enough. The fact there isn't much air coming out probably means that the PSU is already adequately cooled.

I never thought of that...

But...

Here's my dilemma: I open the side panel and let a bunch of air in and feel where air comes out. Now that there's no resistance, I know what it SHOULD be like.

I stick my hand behind the PSU and feel a bunch more air coming out once I open the side. I feel a bunch more air coming out the top and back fans too. My 8800GTS has more air coming out too.

Essentially there's not enough air intake. That's why the Cosmos 1010 (newer version) has a side 120mm intake valve. (IMHO...)