PDA

View Full Version : shared system memory?

Ewhit
01-24-08, 09:51 AM
how do i change the amount of system memory that my video card uses?

DRen72
01-24-08, 10:34 AM
Provided you even can do that, it would be in the BIOS.

Tr1cK
01-24-08, 10:37 AM
Integrated solutions are usually controlled through the BIOS.

I think some add-in cards may have an option in the driver after you boot into Windows.

ATOJAR
01-24-08, 10:54 AM
I wasent even aware that this was possible!

jolle
01-25-08, 04:01 AM
refering to the Shared System Memory that is displayed in Vista?
dunno if you can do that.
AFAIK its not reserved, its just a pool of memory the GPU CAN spill over into in worst case, ideally it never has to do that since its a major bottleneck to travel compared to GPU-> GDDR3 bus and the speed of GDDR

Ewhit
01-28-08, 09:53 AM
no my computer says i can't use the memory.

dxx
01-28-08, 11:30 AM
Now you see, there's a problem here. To you, the word "my" when used in relation to a posession of yours is quite an informative term. "My house", for example, in your own mind, contains information such as how many rooms it has, how good the heating is, the people that live there, the interior decoration, the address, what it looks like from space, etc. To us, it is a house that in some way is inhabited by you.

I say this to make the point that, similarly, when you say "my video card" and describe a problem with it, while you may know everything there is to know about your card, no-one here does. To us, it is a card. We might guess that it is onboard. We might even guess abilities it might have. Some of these guesses will be accurate, and will affirm your belief that your way to ask questions is the right way to ask questions. But as any sane person would deduce from the overall vagueness and lack of response, it is not.

All in all, and all in short, rather than saying "my video card", why don't you try starting again, and telling us what your video card actually is? And how about other information too, like, how much memory your system has, what make and model it is, and how much memory the video card is consuming?

Madpistol
01-28-08, 11:53 AM
Now you see, there's a problem here. To you, the word "my" when used in relation to a posession of yours is quite an informative term. "My house", for example, in your own mind, contains information such as how many rooms it has, how good the heating is, the people that live there, the interior decoration, the address, what it looks like from space, etc. To us, it is a house that in some way is inhabited by you.

I say this to make the point that, similarly, when you say "my video card" and describe a problem with it, while you may know everything there is to know about your card, no-one here does. To us, it is a card. We might guess that it is onboard. We might even guess abilities it might have. Some of these guesses will be accurate, and will affirm your belief that your way to ask questions is the right way to ask questions. But as any sane person would deduce from the overall vagueness and lack of response, it is not.

All in all, and all in short, rather than saying "my video card", why don't you try starting again, and telling us what your video card actually is? And how about other information too, like, how much memory your system has, what make and model it is, and how much memory the video card is consuming?

Ummmmm... instead of sounding like you might be insulting him, you should have just asked for some system specs. I mean, he did pay for "HIS" system just like you and I paid for our systems, so technically it is his video card. :thumbdwn:

dxx
01-28-08, 05:25 PM
Ummmmm... instead of sounding like you might be insulting him, you should have just asked for some system specs. I mean, he did pay for "HIS" system just like you and I paid for our systems, so technically it is his video card. :thumbdwn:

But your way, he might grudingly divulge some information about his sytem in this one instance, my way, he might actually learn something, and not write such utterly pointless posts in future.

Also, the second sentence of your post is probably the most moronic and pointlessly argumentative thing I have read this year. I used to know a guy who'd deliver similar arguments. He was a morbidly obese diabetic with crippling learning disabilities, and I'm saying nothing more lest I be appear at all insulting. :thumbdwn:

$n][pErMan
01-28-08, 06:00 PM
While the two kids bitch at each other I will try and give you an answer... are you using a PCI-E or AGP Video card? As far as I am aware of you can't change the setting for PCI-E, or if you can I have never tried. With AGP it was the "Apature Size" setting in the BIOS and that would set the amount of RAM the video card could "Spill" onto if it needed more memory. Post your system specs :)

Madpistol
01-28-08, 07:27 PM
But your way, he might grudingly divulge some information about his sytem in this one instance, my way, he might actually learn something, and not write such utterly pointless posts in future.

Also, the second sentence of your post is probably the most moronic and pointlessly argumentative thing I have read this year. I used to know a guy who'd deliver similar arguments. He was a morbidly obese diabetic with crippling learning disabilities, and I'm saying nothing more lest I be appear at all insulting. :thumbdwn:

yea... I'm going to just quietly walk away from this one and let you have your way k?

Ewhit
01-31-08, 09:32 AM
my card is a kfa2 geforce 8800GT with 512 mbs of ram. I have 2 gb of ddr2 ram installed and my kfa2 geforce 8800GT with 512 mbs of ram is using 767 mb of shared memory from my computer.

Ewhit
02-10-08, 02:50 PM
Okay guys, as far as i can figure out i can't get the memory back. The drivers for my 8800 gt are using it. I've got some of my teachers to do some research for me and they agree.

Lenin
02-10-08, 06:00 PM
Okay guys, as far as i can figure out i can't get the memory back. The drivers for my 8800 gt are using it. I've got some of my teachers to do some research for me and they agree.
Hit your 8800gt with a broom and demand that it gives the memory back that it stole, or else. That usually helps. Ask your teachers about it, they'll probably agree to that as well.

Ewhit
02-10-08, 08:06 PM
Hit your 8800gt with a broom and demand that it gives the memory back that it stole, or else. That usually helps. Ask your teachers about it, they'll probably agree to that as well.

I tried that and my card stole more ram. Thanks for the tip. But seriously since your tip broke my card you owe me a new one.

stncttr908
02-10-08, 11:57 PM
I tried that and my card stole more ram. Thanks for the tip. But seriously since your tip broke my card you owe me a new one.
Nice. :lol2: