PDA

View Full Version : Roomie's Motherboard Died..what to do?

mojoman0
01-25-08, 07:08 PM
So I'm pretty sure his s939 board died, computer won't post and I've tried another cpu in it and it still didnt boot. It was an MSI neo4 s939 with an AMD 64 3000+. What would be his best option right now for getting a new board? It seems hardly any 939 boards are for sale anymore so I suggested looking for an AM2 combo with a cpu. He doesnt want to spend much more than $100 and it seems there are some options available. Would he also need to buy DDR2 for that socket or does DDR work in it? I just saw an ad for 2gb Corsair DDR for $25 so I don't think thats much of an issue if he needs to buy some. Any suggestions?

bacon12
01-25-08, 09:10 PM
Better grab some ddr2 while it's still cheap. Word is a 40% price increase is coming.

AM2 combos are cheap right now, but I doubt under $100 for board cpu and ram. Probally can be done for 125-150.

XDanger
01-26-08, 01:49 AM
Better grab some ddr2 while it's still cheap. Word is a 40% price increase is coming.

WHAT!!!!

Surely not.

DRen72
01-26-08, 06:48 PM
You can get lots of 939 boards on EBay.

dxx
01-26-08, 07:52 PM
So I'm pretty sure his s939 board died, computer won't post and I've tried another cpu in it and it still didnt boot. It was an MSI neo4 s939 with an AMD 64 3000+. What would be his best option right now for getting a new board? It seems hardly any 939 boards are for sale anymore so I suggested looking for an AM2 combo with a cpu. He doesnt want to spend much more than $100 and it seems there are some options available. Would he also need to buy DDR2 for that socket or does DDR work in it? I just saw an ad for 2gb Corsair DDR for $25 so I don't think thats much of an issue if he needs to buy some. Any suggestions?

First thing I'd do would be to finish troubleshooting. Swapping CPUs is a good start, but it doesn't go anywhere near enough to prove a failed motherboard. Unplug everything attached to the board that isn't essential to it initiating POST (take out the SATA, IDE, USB, PCI, AGP, PCI-E, fans, graphics card, RAM everyhthing possible) and try again. Error beeps? Reinstall bits of hardware until you find the failed component. Otherwise, try swapping the PSU to confirm it's not that that's failed.

The whole job shouldn't take more than ten minutes, and it'll be worth at least a single carry-out if you can either bring his PC back to life (which may be the case - I've had many a system that haven't been able to POST just because of a loose part) or if you can fix it first time, something replacing the mobo might not be able to do.

mojoman0
01-27-08, 11:41 PM
Alright thanks guys. While giving it a further inspection i noticed a slightly raised capacitor that must have blown. The triangle part on top has lifted. He went ahead and ordered a cheapo AM2 mobo with an X2 3600 and 2gbs($24) of ram which will be a bit of an upgrade, all for about $150.

Tr1cK
01-28-08, 07:50 AM
I would have just bought a new s939 board. The big retailers won't have them, but the little guys are bound to.

2gb for $24 sounds absurdly cheap. Are you sure that's not after mail in rebate?