PDA

View Full Version : Easy wireless router question.

Zeta
01-26-08, 01:00 AM
I hope this is an easy question. On the new wireless N routers it claims 3 - 4 times the range. The router in my basement does not reach the top floor of the house very well. Does this increased range include if the device is connecting via A, B or G? Or do you also have to have a N device to take advantage of this 3 - 4 times range? Will a N router help with my Wii and X360 range?

I assume the answer is yes but I thought I better check before dropping $100 on one.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bman212121
01-26-08, 01:09 AM
I hope this is an easy question. On the new wireless N routers it claims 3 - 4 times the range. The router in my basement does not reach the top floor of the house very well. Does this increased range include if the device is connecting via A, B or G? Or do you also have to have a N device to take advantage of this 3 - 4 times range? Will a N router help with my Wii and X360 range?

I assume the answer is yes but I thought I better check before dropping $100 on one.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Yes, in order to get the full benefits from N both devices will need to support it. However, it is very possible that a new N router has a stronger antenna on it and might be able to provide a better signal even to older devices. Another option is if your current wireless router has a detatchable antenna you can buy a larger antenna for it. Something like this (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1115416829416&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=2941639789B09) would increase the effectiveness of your current device.

Zeta
01-26-08, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the answer. To be honest you do not sound too sure though. I fully understand to get the FULL benefits of N I need N hardware on both ends.

Right now I specifically just want to address the range issue. Can anyone confirm that the N routers that claim greater range is also good for devices connecting on an older standard?

I was thinking this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124068

XDanger
01-28-08, 06:58 PM
What is that , some kind of time machine?

Its has a button for "Future" function.

Thats one powerful antennae
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessrouters/tp/80211nprenhome.htm
The WRT300N is the Linksys offering for draft 802.11n standard wireless router support using MIMO technology. Some have reported technically difficulty configuring this product to work with older 802.11g or 802.11b equipment. Linksys offers its limited 3-year warranty for the WRT300N.

Maybe mixing g and pre-n will be like rosey o shouting at a deaf man ,Who knows?

Zeta
01-29-08, 07:23 AM
Yeah, that router has actually got pretty bad reviews on new egg. I think I am going to buy a N router at a local store where I can return it easily if I have problems. Wal-mart sells the WRT150N.

mezkal
01-29-08, 07:58 AM
Wireless N routers sometimes do not play well with G and B equipment, there are articles and reviews that go into greater detail but basically G clients (wireless cards, usb adapters, bridges and the like) are known to run slower than they should, sometimes even disconnecting multiple times in a session for no known reason while B clients can be slowed to single digit dial-up like speeds.

The better N class routers also have G class chipsets included, often with independent aerials for each.

Googled "Wireless N issues"

http://www.google.com/search?q=Wireless+N+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

stncttr908
01-29-08, 08:03 AM
I dunno, I'm waiting for the IEEE to finally fully ratify the 802.11n spec. Keep in mind that everything out there is STILL draft 802.11n spec, not final. There could be a total paradigm shift in Wireless-n tech, although that's extremely unlikely. Also, ask yourself if you really need the speed. The boost in short-range speeds is going to expand your network's coverage greatly, and most likely onto others' property, making security an even greater issue. You'll definitely want to employ all possible deterrents, such as MAC filtering, disabling of SSID broadcasting, WPA2 encryption with a solid key, etc.

Zeta
01-31-08, 01:11 AM
Meh I am not to worried about security. I live in suburbia. 1/4 acre lots or bigger. I use security on my wireless network but if one of my 3 or 4 neighbors that could pick it up really needed to use my connection I would actually let them.

The issue I am facing right now is range. My router is in the basement and I need it to reach 2 floors up. Yes I could get stronger antennas or range booster/repeater things. For almost the same cost as those solutions I can just pick up a $80 - $100 N router.

I am definitely going to pick up the router at a local store where I can return it. I will try it out and if I have connection or speed issues I will just return it.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice and feedback!! I will post an update after I pick it up and try it this weekend.

Zeta
02-03-08, 09:41 PM
If anyone was keeping track at home. I did get the WRT150N linksys router. And yes it does not play very nice with my existing G hardware. I am keeping it however. If I force the router to mixed B/G mode only it works great. My Wii is finally connecting upstairs without any issues so the signal on this router is much stronger than the WRT54G was/is. My laptop also seems to transfer data much faster. I was actually downloading at ~450k. It would never go that fast before.

I just cant run it in mixed B/G/N mode. My Wii would pass the connecting test but then it would fail to do a system update.

Verdict: the WRT150N makes a great G router.