PDA

View Full Version : 8800GT, Windows Vista and fullscreen gaming

mrochester
01-26-08, 03:57 PM
Hi there,

I installed my new 8800GT today in my PC running Windows Vista HP. I've just tried to play one of my all time favourite games - Rollercoaster Tycoon - and it won't let me select any of the fullscreen modes to play this; it always loads in a window, which didn't happen with my old Radeon X800XL.

Within the game, when I try to select one of the fullscreen modes, the game window just flashes, and the selection returns to the windowed option.

I've tried all of the monitor scaling options within the nVidia control panel, without success, and now I don't know where to turn to get my game running in fullscreen mode again.

I hope that you can help.

Thanks,

Michael.

ATOJAR
01-26-08, 04:46 PM
Right click on the shortcut on the desktop, under the shortcut tab make sure it says Run: Normal Window ... if it dont say "Normal Window" then change it to that, not sure if its your problem but it may help.

mrochester
01-26-08, 05:13 PM
Right click on the shortcut on the desktop, under the shortcut tab make sure it says Run: Normal Window ... if it dont say "Normal Window" then change it to that, not sure if its your problem but it may help.

Hi thanks, it is already selected as normal window.

It's become very clear that this is a driver issue. I was using what I think were 169.25 drivers. I eventually managed to get the game working in fullscreen mode after selecting Windows 95 compatibility mode. However, I then couldn't load or save any games, as it would just quit to the desktop with no error.

I got rid of 169.25 drivers, and installed those which came on the CD with the card (169.02). With these, I could run the game full screen, without needing to use compatibility mode, and I could load and save games... but it would not budge from 640x480 resolution, so still completely unacceptable to play on.

I am not in the process of downloading the beta drivers that are available on the nVidia website to see if they may any difference at all. What other driver versions could I try?

Thanks.

ATOJAR
01-26-08, 05:39 PM
you could try the latest betas? v169.28's

mrochester
01-26-08, 06:32 PM
you could try the latest betas? v169.28's

Unfortunately these made no difference either. Interestingly, with NO graphics card driver installed, the game runs perfectly. Go figure I say... *sigh*

mrochester
01-27-08, 12:22 PM
Bump.

XDanger
01-27-08, 12:34 PM
if it needs no driver then can you run it in virtual pc or is that not fullscreen?

ViN86
01-27-08, 12:44 PM
did you try running it in Windows XP compatibility mode?

mrochester
01-27-08, 03:44 PM
Yes I've tried Windows XP compatibility mode but that has the same problem. I'm not sure if virtual PC works on Vista Home Premium.

XDanger
01-27-08, 07:51 PM
it works but its not supported if it blows up.

I could try but im in xp right now