PDA

View Full Version : Lower Bandwidth and Wireless

Mr Bigman
01-26-08, 05:59 PM
I don't know why this is, but when i run a bandwidth test with ethernet cable used i get around 8325 kb with is good but when i use the wireless on my motherboard, i get in the 2478 kb range.

Its a motherboard with the wireless edition and its G 54mb so how can i get what i was getting with the etherent cable pluged in?

breathemetal
01-26-08, 06:05 PM
ive never liked wireless
solid connection ftw!

mezkal
01-26-08, 06:10 PM
That's wireless for you. Higher latencies, lower speed but no cables. The wireless performance problem with speed tests is down to latency and limited bandwidth. Even Wireless - N's increased bandwidth doesn't fix the latency issues inherent to wireless networking.

Bman212121
01-26-08, 10:25 PM
I don't know why this is, but when i run a bandwidth test with ethernet cable used i get around 8325 kb with is good but when i use the wireless on my motherboard, i get in the 2478 kb range.

Its a motherboard with the wireless edition and its G 54mb so how can i get what i was getting with the etherent cable pluged in?

There are a few things you can try. The first one is your encryption type, if your currently using WEP it can cut your connection in half, if you try with no encryption this will be the best case scenario. Using WPA2 would give you the best speeds since it has the least overhead. The second thing is the range you are from your AP. Even though you have a 54Mbit card in your desktop, unless you are getting an excellent signal it could be throttling down your speeds.

Mr Bigman
01-27-08, 01:33 AM
I had enough room to pull the cable so not using it and i have gigabit lan anyway.