PDA

View Full Version : Whats with people these days?

t3hl33td4rg0n
01-26-08, 09:32 PM
So alot of people are having this issue with UT3 not saving settings. In case you didn't know already, this is usually caused by the My Documents folder being in a different place than default ( C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents ).

Anyways, I had the same problem, and know this has been an ongoing issue with just about every UE3 game out there. My My Documents folder is actually D:\, my storage drive.

So I decided I would post a guide on how I fixed it in detail, and I don't think it could have been more simply broken down and the whole process fixes it.

It seems just about every post after that is full of complainers yet not one single person even tried it. Take a look at the post after mine, what a lazy ****!

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=587940&page=7#64

mezkal
01-26-08, 09:41 PM
Actually I think Epic are the ones who are in the wrong here. If they're so determined to use an authentication system that checks outside of their own game's installed resource tree then the game should damn well check for My Documents on all available drives/partitions and apply whatever changes are necessary to insert the key correctly. Also, he wasn't rude to you - he was just unwilling to take those steps to get his UT3 running online and for the most part I agree with him - the game should just work without pfaffing around.

t3hl33td4rg0n
01-26-08, 09:49 PM
I found that it wasn't an issue with the game itself, but an installer bug. The installer failed to find the actual My Documents if its not in default, and if the environment variable is not the default value it will actually do nothing.

The game itself does indeed look in the correct location for the files.

I know this because once My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 folder exists, the problem is gone, poof!

How do i know? I spent about 3 minutes looking to find where UT3 saves the settings by default. I created the folders myself and the problem went away.

God forbid you spend a little time to fix something. I'm enjoying my expereince with the game while others out there sit at they're desk in a silent rage because of the'yre indifference to fixing something.