PDA

View Full Version : Is Creative Done

Pages : [1] 2

Mr Bigman
01-27-08, 03:41 PM
Their hasn't been a major soundcard from these guys in over a year.

The last one i remember was the XFI Fatality from September 06.

They did release one, a PCI-ex version but that ones is garbage so are these guys done with soundcards cuz they sure don't release drivers either no more.

Bokishi
01-27-08, 03:46 PM
Yeah they are about due for a new sound card, I mean the one I'm using is from september 2005!

stncttr908
01-27-08, 03:53 PM
Well they have really monopolized the gaming sound card market. What is their real incentive? :o

dxx
01-27-08, 03:56 PM
I'd guess so. There's more money to be made in their other lines of business, especially now that Vista's software audio rendering has made dedicated hardware redundant, and onboard digital-outputs have made SnR ratio boasting a thing of the past.

AthlonXP1800
01-27-08, 03:56 PM
They are working on a new high end soundcard.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5099&Itemid=57

jolle
01-27-08, 04:51 PM
The X-Fi packs alot of power compared to previous Audigy2 chips it seems.
Wonder if any game has been using a fair share of that power?
Quake4 used some of the EAX5 stuff with OpenAL, but other then that there hasnt been that heavy implementations afaik.
Dunno if there is any real NEED for a more powerful chip or not.

Im getting the impression that gamedevs use it less and less.
1) console ports, we get alot of that today, and they use crossplatform sound APIs from MS I guess (Xaudio or somesuch?).
2) Alot of people stick with onboard audio, which doesnt offer much in HW acceleration.

Mr Bigman
01-27-08, 09:58 PM
Yea, pretty much with Vista and good onboard HD audio, you don't need the expensive XFI that still has cracking issues even with newer chipsets.

I think Creative hit a wall when it comes to these cards so if they want to be anygood, they need to move to better PCI-e offerings instead of the crap out now.

Tr1cK
01-27-08, 10:20 PM
I wish they were done. They have been sucking for years.

Too bad Aureal went under. :thumbdwn:

Mr Bigman
01-27-08, 11:18 PM
Oh, i loved aureal. They had some good cards and TurleBeach series kicked butt.

Auzetech seems good but only on Newegg.

AthlonXP1800
01-27-08, 11:19 PM
I wish they were done. They have been sucking for years.

Too bad Aureal went under. :thumbdwn:

Ahh A3D... :D but Creative acquired Aureal assets through bankruptcy court in 2000 then they later incorporated advanced A3D features into EAX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A3D

mezkal
01-27-08, 11:58 PM
Consumer level soundcards are only a small portion of Creative's range.

The own EMU Systems who produce professional audio engineering equipment and synthesisers. They also do a very brisk trade in portable media players with their Zen range.

Creative are not dead but with any luck their consumer sound cards will be. They mistreat their consumer sound card customers with unstable drivers, forced obsolescence and a support infrastructure which ignores the customer should they have any technical issues.

Gaco
01-28-08, 04:15 AM
I think they're taking their time because their new soundcard product will have to differentiate itself sufficiently from the X-Fi series. It simply have to be a big enough step forward so they can say even to X-Fi owners "look you MUST have this new product!" :D

dxx
01-28-08, 05:11 AM
Creative are not dead but with any luck their consumer sound cards will be. They mistreat their consumer sound card customers with unstable drivers, forced obsolescence and a support infrastructure which ignores the customer should they have any technical issues.

They aren't a great deal kinder to their professional customers. For their USB audio interface customers, it took them six months to get around to uploading the drivers to the website and non-Beta Vista drivers still aren't out, and for the PCI and PCMCIA interface customers, the choice is between a buggy release of the drivers and mixer software from 2005, or an incredibly buggy beta set from 2007. As these bugs cause either the hanging of the audio mixer software or the DAW software, they're work-destroying killers.

Creative can go to hell and die.

Tr1cK
01-28-08, 06:46 AM
Creative can go to hell and die.

You don't have to sugar-coat it. :p

Riptide
01-28-08, 10:11 AM
Auztentech is good but their support isn't much better than creative.

Dr.Nick
01-28-08, 11:18 AM
Yea, pretty much with Vista and good onboard HD audio, you don't need the expensive XFI that still has cracking issues even with newer chipsets.

I think Creative hit a wall when it comes to these cards so if they want to be anygood, they need to move to better PCI-e offerings instead of the crap out now.

In all honesty ever since moving to intel based boards my X-Fi has been flawless. No crackling, no popping, and no bsod's. I also much prefer it to my on-board audio solution which I hear is quite good.
Also pci-e will not make X-Fi's any better than they already are. In fact pci is probably better for sound going by the numerous articles out there.

BronzeGod
01-28-08, 12:10 PM
I'd never use anything else unless it can utilize less CPU cycles and keep my frame rate consistent. Anyone else out there than can do that while giving me excellent sound quality to boot? Thats what I thought.

SeriTonin
01-28-08, 12:17 PM
Creative hasn't supported the latest x-fi cards for almost a year now - FOR US XP OWNERS. Plenty of Vista updates though. They can lick my nuts until they decide to send a driver our way. Not to mention the last few drivers for XP were sh*t beta's, I think they released like 2 official drivers for XP?

Second, back in 2006 I said onboard memory for a sound card was premature.

2 years later, has any game actually used much of the ram on those cards? I mean, more than the 2 or 4MB the cheapest card has? I saw thpse fatility cards with 64mb and chuckled everytime I saw them, talk about an overpriced pointless upgrade, e-penis for teh win.

BronzeGod
01-28-08, 12:28 PM
Thats why I have the eXtreme music. everything else they had was like :headexplode:

Slammin
01-28-08, 12:59 PM
Abit fixed the crackling issues with a bios update, so I'm very pleased with my card.

Folks sure do love to hate Creative though but really, I have no complaints, and it certainly does sound better than my onboard HDaudio, which sounds really good too.

Is Creative done? I don't think so. Do I see a need for a new sound card anytime soon in my rig? Not likely.

nekrosoft13
01-28-08, 01:09 PM
Creative hasn't supported the latest x-fi cards for almost a year now - FOR US XP OWNERS. Plenty of Vista updates though. They can lick my nuts until they decide to send a driver our way. Not to mention the last few drivers for XP were sh*t beta's, I think they released like 2 official drivers for XP?

Second, back in 2006 I said onboard memory for a sound card was premature.

2 years later, has any game actually used much of the ram on those cards? I mean, more than the 2 or 4MB the cheapest card has? I saw thpse fatility cards with 64mb and chuckled everytime I saw them, talk about an overpriced pointless upgrade, e-penis for teh win.

new xp beta driver is out, final any day.

onboard sound cards have no memory, and x-ram was something that simply didn't took off, sound card doesn't really need memory, but if game developers would utilize it correctly it wouldn't hurt either.

nekrosoft13
01-28-08, 01:13 PM
Auztentech is good but their support isn't much better than creative.

problem with auzentech is that basically can't provide their own support.

their old cards were based on c-media, c-media didn't give a **** about auzentech, and took longer then a year to release final driver for a product that been on a market for a year.

with x-fi prelude, auzentech had already 3-5 driver updates from creative, much better support

nekrosoft13
01-28-08, 01:15 PM
I'd never use anything else unless it can utilize less CPU cycles and keep my frame rate consistent. Anyone else out there than can do that while giving me excellent sound quality to boot? Thats what I thought.

in vista, you do need alchemy, for instance i was trying to play simcity4 without alchemy and i was barelly getting 4-5fps, game was unplayable. bought x-fi installed alchemy and now game is flawless.

lack of good directsound3d support huts older games. alchemy can translate directsound3d calls to openal.

SeriTonin
01-29-08, 09:44 AM
new xp beta driver is out, final any day.

onboard sound cards have no memory, and x-ram was something that simply didn't took off, sound card doesn't really need memory, but if game developers would utilize it correctly it wouldn't hurt either.

yeah but the same can be said about ageia cards....if developers would utilize it...

stncttr908
01-29-08, 11:03 AM
The respective install bases for either need to increase greatly for anything to occur. I think UT3 was AGEIA's one real chance, but we see how that ended up.