PDA

View Full Version : Which one?

Dirthead
01-27-08, 09:03 PM
Dirt

Or

Test Drive Unlimited

If you had to pick/choose one of these games which one would you buy??

Eliminator
01-27-08, 09:09 PM
dirt all the way

mezkal
01-27-08, 09:13 PM
Dirt for sure. It's the last Colin Macrae game we'll ever see.

jcrox
01-27-08, 09:29 PM
dirt

breathemetal
01-27-08, 09:49 PM
TDU was fun, but buggy. Id recommend that, but thats just because i liked the simulation aspect of it.

Dirt was very good though too. Last Colin game :(

yaleblor
01-27-08, 10:00 PM
witcher

ChaoticNick
01-27-08, 10:48 PM
witcher
:werd:

Dirthead
01-27-08, 11:17 PM
ya, I heard that was a good game, but i just started playing oblivion so that what i use for that type of game now, just looking for a racing game to fill time while not playing oblivion

Bman212121
01-27-08, 11:57 PM
Neither. I didn't like the controls to DiRT at all and TDU has some major issues. When it works TDU is a sweet game, but it's asking a lot of it to work right. If you just want to play single player though, it should work much better than it does online.

LycosV
01-28-08, 01:34 AM
I've never played TDU, but Dirt is great fun. (I played it on the 360 though)

Thingding
01-28-08, 02:09 AM
Dirt (sorry, DiRT) has the single greatest damage model there's ever been in a driving game, fps, rts, mmo or anything you can name.

npras42
01-28-08, 02:09 AM
Dirt. nuff said

SH64
01-28-08, 05:48 AM
DiRT.

LordJuanlo
01-28-08, 06:39 AM
Got both and enjoy Dirt much, much more than TDU

stncttr908
01-28-08, 07:55 AM
Problem is DiRT will last you 10 hours at best, whereas TDU is much longer.

Still, I'd rather take 10 hours of great gameplay than 40 of so-so. :)

FastRedPonyCar
01-28-08, 08:49 AM
I didn't like either one. TDU lasted longer on my hdd.

Serious racing/driving enthusiasts play this game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_for_Speed

I hate unrealistic driving physics more than anything and dirt/TDU/NFS, etc all are total failures. If you think I'm wrong, go play the LFS demo and realize how driving physics are supposed to be.

JohnDio
01-28-08, 09:47 AM
From those two, i'd prefer TDU :D

Arachnid
01-28-08, 10:08 AM
Test Drive Unlimited.

Gaco
01-28-08, 10:49 AM
I haven't tried either but based on what I've read DiRT seems the most interesting to me.

methimpikehoses
01-28-08, 11:16 AM
I didn't play TDU except for the Beta. I will say that I really enjoyed DiRT, and still play it once in a while 6 mos. later. Good variety of courses, cars, and the graphics are superb.

MowTin
01-28-08, 08:32 PM
If you like going around and around and around a track then get DiRT. If you're sick of that crap then get TDU.

It's 2008. It's time for driving games to model whole cities and islands just like TDU does.

Only thing with TDU is some people experience bad stuttering. I only experienced minor stuttering and now with C2D@3.2 it's almost not existent.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't race anyone in DiRT. Only time trials.

mezkal
01-28-08, 08:45 PM
What TDU does on a large scale, DiRT does on a small scale. TDU doesn't model physics, damage, particles, deformable landscape and lens effects anywhere near the accuracy (if at all) of DiRT.

TDU is nice and all but it's an arcade racer and for my money Outrun Coast to Coast 2006 does a much better and more entertaining job as that kind of racing game.

Rallying is all about checkpoints and beating other racers' times to and between these checkpoints so that's why DiRT is sometimes a game where you're not actually racing side by side with your competition (especially when losing or winning by a large time margin).

MowTin
01-28-08, 09:39 PM
TDU is nice and all but it's an arcade racer and for my money Outrun Coast to Coast 2006 does a much better and more entertaining job as that kind of racing game.

Here is a test. Turn off all the driving aids in TDU. Take a Ferrari Enzo and just slam on the gas. What happens? You spin out. That doesn't sound like an arcade racer to me.

Now take DiRT the dirt demo. Drive as fast as you can along a straight away and then it the brake. Wow, you can stop on a dime. The minimum level of realism is reasonably accurate braking distances.

Now if cars could just stop nearly instantly then driving fast wouldn't really be dangerous now would it? :)

But I must say the damange modeling in DiRT is pretty cool.

I think it all depends whether or not you like rally games or free roaming racing games.

mezkal
01-28-08, 09:58 PM
Your point about physics in DiRT is true and Codemasters have done very little to address the issue. Wish they would apologise and get it fixed.