PDA

View Full Version : UT2k3 - more fps: CPU or Video upgrade?

Gator
04-24-03, 08:21 AM
I know I've asked similar questions before so I appologize in advance. But I honestly believe I would enjoy UT2k3 more if I had better fps and less stutter. I'm running an AXP1700, 768 DDR2100, and a GF4 TI4400 (300/600). I beleive my GF4 TI4400 is more than adequate for UT2k3, so my problem is probably CPU limited. I'm already running 800x600 with low physics, and I refuse to go any lower than that setting. So... which upgrade do you beleive would benefit me more in UT2k3.

note: yes I know Barton + NForce2 would be a good idea, but it's more than I am willing to spend right now, and my current board doesn't support Barton.

SnakeEyes
04-24-03, 09:26 AM
As long as you're willing to play with those lower settings that you've already got, and don't care too much about AA or AF, the real limiting factor is the processor. Even going from my 2100+ to my new 2500+ (unoverclocked difference of around 100MHz, overclocked difference of around 225MHz, both at their limits), the game had a noticable improvement in minimum framerates.

The minimum framerate seems to be tied directly to the processor until you crank up AA and aniso, which is where the GF4 will be your bottleneck.

:)

Smokey
04-24-03, 10:43 AM
I aslo vote for the 2400+, I play RavenShield on my system inmy sig all details high incl EAXHD sound, no shadows at 1024*768 and I do fine most of the time in MP. You have a good videocard and having a faster CPU should help, if I had your videocard plus a 2400+, I would be running all my games at 1280*1024 plus maybe 2xAA :)

digitalwanderer
04-24-03, 10:53 AM
For UT2k3 a CPU will see you much more FPS improvement than a viddy card if'n you're not using eye-candy, the GF4 ti4400 (schweet card, BTW ;) ) should be more than enough for the game without AA & AF.

nin_fragile14
04-24-03, 11:38 AM
Considering how CPU-limited the game is, go with the 2400 CPU. You'll see a much larger improvement that way.

The Baron
04-24-03, 11:46 AM
Find me on ICQ or AIM--something's funkified with your UT2k3 config. I run it at 1024x768 with semi-low details and low physics and I get 30FPS on a GF3 and 1.4 TBird...

digitalwanderer
04-24-03, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Find me on ICQ or AIM--something's funkified with your UT2k3 config. I run it at 1024x768 with semi-low details and low physics and I get 30FPS on a GF3 and 1.4 TBird...

I gotta agree with you, UT2k3 actually runs pretty sweet on Bubbles for me as I recall at 1024x768 32bit...something like the mid40-50 range and that's on a 1.75Mhz celery with a GF4 ti4400, your AMD should be spanking me.

marqmajere
04-24-03, 12:14 PM
I have almost the same thing as you except the Ti4600 and I only have 512 of ram. I run at high detail and low physics and it's smooth with no overclocking. Somethings not right at all. :confused:

LORD-eX-Bu
04-24-03, 02:12 PM
ah, I voted for the wrong thing:lol:

|JuiceZ|
04-24-03, 05:21 PM
Based upon yer system specs, which are very close to mine btw, you'll see a large fps increase by getting the fast cpu than vid card, since the unreal engine is very cpu dependent.

StealthHawk
04-24-03, 06:00 PM
unless you make heavy use of FSAA/AF, or want to, then a CPU upgrade will benefit UT2003 more.

Gator
04-25-03, 08:23 AM
ok, i just kicked some major butt on UT2k3 Instagib Lowgrav. I've set my API to direct3d instead of opengl, and that combined with the new patch has made the game MUCH more playable. It's weird, I used to yield better results with it in opengl, but it looks like for whatever reason Direct3d is working better now. Playing 800x600 with a smooth 60fps instead of a jerky 84 fps.

Could I use a new CPU? Probably. Is UT1 still more smooth (opengl 800x600)? Most definetly, but at least now I can compete a little. I would get the AXP2400 because it's so cheap, but then I'll need to get a new case too because mine has gotten simply too cramp to work with anymore (believe me my hard drive upgrade a was a pain juggling all the wires). Then there is the after though of "I should have gotten a Barton and NForce2" so I'm just gonna leave the machine alone for now. I'll see how Planetside runs, and if that's bad then maybe it'll be time to make my move and spend some cash.

Thanks for all the input

SnakeEyes
04-25-03, 11:24 AM
Does this mean I'll be seeing you in the servers more now? (*BOTH* Factory TDM and our XM server, which btw usually is set up for public TDM now too)

I hope it does. :D

Gator
04-25-03, 12:20 PM
We'll see bro... I still think UT1 ownz UT2k3, but I did like that instagib this morning. Maybe there's still hope for me. :D

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Does this mean I'll be seeing you in the servers more now? (*BOTH* Factory TDM and our XM server, which btw usually is set up for public TDM now too)

I hope it does. :D

SnakeEyes
04-25-03, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Gator
We'll see bro... I still think UT1 ownz UT2k3, but I did like that instagib this morning. Maybe there's still hope for me. :D
:D

BTW, if you ever see Snake-Eyes in our forums, it means I'm probably in UT1 looking to play some RA:UT1. I finally got around to reinstalling it (since I hadn't after the hardware upgrades). Also, keep an eye on hellfyre to change his nick to something like hf_ut1_ra or something (he likes throwing tons of weird characters in it, but you'll get the gist, :P). He's the reason I bothered to reinstall in the first place, since his computer has been dodgy lately with UT2003. (He's got a ti4200. However, I think it's something with his current OS install, since it was fine in UT1 for a while, and is now sometimes crash prone there too).

I look forward to seeing you in one of these games, anyway! :)

Edit: Snake-Eyes is always in our forums. :o
What I meant to say was that if you see Snake-Eyes in our IRC channel, I'm in UT1..

The Baron
04-25-03, 05:15 PM
Wait a sec, somebody said "UT2k3 Instagib Lowgrav" but didn't say "SPP server"? ;)

www.clanspp.com

come and be killed. the B has his mobo. ;)