PDA

View Full Version : HTPC issues, hard time replacing parts

Tr1cK
01-28-08, 11:07 PM
My HTPC keeps randomly shutting off. I'm assuming the motherboard is finally giving up. It is one of those EVGA NF41 that came with a 7800GT in a combo deal. I have been looking to buy a new one, but it's hard as hell to find new 939 boards at a decent price.

Newegg has a Jetway board which is basically the same as the EVGA (no thanks, not again) and a mATX board, but that wouldn't leave me with enough expansion slots. I'd really like to find one of those ULI chipset boards (m1697 preferred), but they were rare enough before Nvidia bought them up and I can't find a single one now for any price.

I want to use 939 because I have a 3800x2 that would be useless otherwise. If I can't find something with a decent deal, then I would probably like to use an old Asrock 775 board I have laying around. I'd rather buy an old 939 board than a C2D chip since I believe I can get the board cheaper than what it would take to beat the performance of the 3800x2.

Any help as to a retailer or individual seller would be greatly appreciated.

stncttr908
01-29-08, 08:09 AM
Does the ASRock offer any overclocking features at all? My HTPC's E2140 (1.6GHz stock) is running at 2.4GHz (8x300) very comfortably, and undoubtedly out paces a 3800x2.

If I recall correctly I only paid $60 for the chip.

Q
01-29-08, 08:34 AM
My HTPC keeps randomly shutting off. I'm assuming the motherboard is finally giving up. It is one of those EVGA NF41 that came with a 7800GT in a combo deal. I have been looking to buy a new one, but it's hard as hell to find new 939 boards at a decent price.

Newegg has a Jetway board which is basically the same as the EVGA (no thanks, not again) and a mATX board, but that wouldn't leave me with enough expansion slots. I'd really like to find one of those ULI chipset boards (m1697 preferred), but they were rare enough before Nvidia bought them up and I can't find a single one now for any price.

I want to use 939 because I have a 3800x2 that would be useless otherwise. If I can't find something with a decent deal, then I would probably like to use an old Asrock 775 board I have laying around. I'd rather buy an old 939 board than a C2D chip since I believe I can get the board cheaper than what it would take to beat the performance of the 3800x2.

Any help as to a retailer or individual seller would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a good 939 board that I was looking to offload. It's Nforce 4. It was running in my GF's HTPC/Gaming Rig until two weeks ago just fine. Its never been overclocked, but I did want to Memtest some memory on it before I got rid of it.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Tr1cK
01-29-08, 10:43 AM
The Asrock board did run my e4300 up to 2.4. It has some options for overclocking, but lacks in voltage options.

I might take you up on that Q.