PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Component out image tearing

Luke@TBP
01-29-08, 06:28 AM
We have an 8400GS in an office PC used to play hd movies, browse the net etc connected via the component output cable to a plasma. The problem is that the image appears to tear, 1 big split about 2/3 up the screen, during motion. A Still image is perfect. Its not a black line split, but what appears to be a change of frame half way through redrawing the image. as if the v/sync is triggering half way through drawing the frame.

anyone shed any light?

XDanger
01-29-08, 07:00 AM
can you try HDMI instead?

Does the card have the very latest drivers?

Luke@TBP
01-29-08, 08:34 AM
Driver version, 163.75.

The main monitor is a 22" over dvi and works fine.

The component is useful as the video distribution system here is also component. I really need a fix for the comp issue, not an alternative connection as it would require major works else where to change.

Luke@TBP
01-29-08, 08:36 AM
Trying the newer 169 drivers now.

PS, Vista 64bit, in case that matters

Luke@TBP
01-29-08, 09:42 AM
I've lost the option to run the second display now. NV control panel doesnt detect a TV via the component!

Is that an issue with the 169.25 driver?

XDanger
01-29-08, 10:54 AM
can you force tv detection?

Before the tv detection broke did you try different screen sizes and refresh rates?

Im using 171.16 and HDMI on an lcd so I wouldnt know but whql not liking component doesn't sound right.

Does this ring any bells?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?referrerid=121629&t=1097128

Technoholic
01-29-08, 03:28 PM
Where did you get 171.16?

XDanger
01-29-08, 04:31 PM
the internet. I think its an sli driver but I use it anyway.
http://hardwarexl.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11074

Luke@TBP
01-30-08, 02:31 AM

Before the tv detection broke did you try different screen sizes and refresh rates?

Im using 171.16 and HDMI on an lcd so I wouldnt know but whql not liking component doesn't sound right.

Sorted the detection issue, the lad had re-plugged the wrong component cable into the matrix. So TV out now working again.

Tearing is still an issue though.

Could it be something to do with video overlay?

Do Flash animations use video overlay?

Luke@TBP
01-30-08, 02:38 AM

I did try it in 1080 mode and also 720 mode. Same issue. not sure about changing refresh rates on the output though.

It is visable in the same way on all 3 plasmas and 2 LCD;s and the projector. So i'm sure its not an issue with the decoding the image. I'm quite sure its an issue somewhere in the component output stage of the graphics card, as if the frame buffer of the component out is choosing to redraw the frame mid way through the screens refresh.

Is it worth seeing if it will tear an IE window if i move it around fast??

darkrider01
01-30-08, 09:13 AM
For troubleshooting, have you tried plugging the component directly from the card into one of the plasmas or the projector?

sharangad
01-30-08, 03:22 PM
I did try it in 1080 mode and also 720 mode. Same issue. not sure about changing refresh rates on the output though.

It is visable in the same way on all 3 plasmas and 2 LCD;s and the projector. So i'm sure its not an issue with the decoding the image. I'm quite sure its an issue somewhere in the component output stage of the graphics card, as if the frame buffer of the component out is choosing to redraw the frame mid way through the screens refresh.

Is it worth seeing if it will tear an IE window if i move it around fast??

What're you using to playback your video? The overlay and VMR tear in Vista with the component output. EVR allegedly does not.

XDanger
01-30-08, 05:17 PM
For troubleshooting, have you tried plugging the component directly from the card into one of the plasmas or the projector?
What he said ,
What is this matrix you speak of , How is the graphics card supposed to know which refresh rate to work at if you have it plugged into 30 different monitors?

Is this matrix thing supposed sort it all out??