PDA

View Full Version : Valve Releases Steamworks

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
01-29-08, 12:53 PM
Free copy protection for developers?

January 29, 2008 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announce Steamworks, a complete suite of publishing and development tools - ranging from copy protection to social networking services to server browsing - is now available free of charge to developers and publishers worldwide.

Steamworks, the same suite of tools used in best-selling PC titles Half-Life 2 and The Orange Box, is available for all PC games distributed via retail and leading online platforms such as Steam. The services included in Steamworks may be used a la carte or in any combination.

Specifically, Steamworks offers:

Real-time stats on sales, gameplay, and product activation: Know exactly how well your title is selling before the charts are released. Find out how much of your game is being played. Login into your Steamworks account pages and view up to the hour information regarding worldwide product activations and player data.

State of the art encryption system: Stop paying to have your game pirated before it's released. Steamworks takes anti-piracy to a new level with strong encryption that keeps your game locked until the moment it is released.

Territory/version control: The key-based authentication provided in Steamworks also provides territory/version controls to help curb gray market importing and deliver territory-specific content to any given country or region.

Auto updating: Insures all customers are playing the latest and greatest version of your games.

Voice chat: Available for use both in and out of game.

Multiplayer matchmaking: Steamworks offers you all the multiplayer backend and matchmaking services that have been created to support Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2, the most played action games in the world.

Social networking services: With support for achievements, leaderboards, and avatars, Steamworks allows you to give your gamers as many rewards as you would like, plus support for tracking the world's best professional and amateur players of your game.

Development tools: Steamworks allows you to administer private betas which can be updated multiple times each day. Also includes data collection tools for QA, play testing, and usability studies.

"Developers and publishers are spending more and more time and money cobbling together all the tools and backend systems needed to build and launch a successful title in today's market," said Gabe Newell, president of Valve. "Steamworks puts all those tools and systems together in one free package, liberating publishers and developers to concentrate on the game instead of the plumbing."

"As more developers and publishers have embraced Steam as a leading digital distribution channel, we've heard a growing number of inquiries regarding the availability of the platform's services and tools," said Jason Holtman, director business development at Valve. "Offering Steamworks is part of our ongoing efforts to support the needs of game developers and our publishing partners."

Steam is a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC games and digital content. With over 13 million active accounts and more than 250 games, plus hundreds of movie files and game demos available, Steam has become a frequent destination for millions of gamers around the world.

Tr1cK
01-29-08, 12:58 PM
:thumbsup:

mullet
01-29-08, 01:11 PM
Valve is just plain and simple kicking ass!!!!! this is awesome.

Madpistol
01-29-08, 01:19 PM
Dude... if I were EA right now, I'd be running scared. :p

sytaylor
01-29-08, 01:22 PM
Is it just me or would Steam be in direct competition with Windows Live?

nekrosoft13
01-29-08, 01:25 PM
****ing nice

online authorization!! death to securom, starforce, safedisc etc..

i hope every company uses the online servers, matchmaking etc.. death to xbox live ****

jAkUp
01-29-08, 01:55 PM
Yea, if this is truely free I think this marks the death of securom and other methods that cost devs lots of money...

|MaguS|
01-29-08, 02:00 PM
Dude... if I were EA right now, I'd be running scared. :p

Why because they make more then 3x the profits of valve?

I love how the atmosphere towards valve changed so drastically once they started giving **** out for free. Everyone was cursing and hating them when HL2 and EP1 released... PC gamers are such flip floppers... what are you all democrats?

nemecb
01-29-08, 03:38 PM
Much as that region-locking bullet point sounds like a step backward to me, I like the fact that it's basically Windows Live without the yearly fee. Of course if Valve gets a stranglehold on the digital distribution market...

Anyway, I may have issues with Steam at times, but it sure seems like Valve has their **** together when it comes to getting the concepts right.

Edit: Now if they'd just port it to Linux...;)

bob saget
01-29-08, 03:39 PM
wow, good to hear.

grey_1
01-29-08, 03:47 PM
Nice. I love hearing pirates whine. :captnkill:

Libertysyclone
01-29-08, 04:18 PM
Region locking is a VERY good thing. example: Orange Box in US =$50; Orange Box in Latin America=$20 (I made that up) So why wouldnt someone in mexico transport a few truckloads of OB to the US and sell them@$35 pay a shady delivery OP $5 and make a $10 profit on the game?

It means that resellers have a reason to stock OB and still retain a good margin. Happy resellers=more orders=more$$

I think this is a good thing. The Steam network is VERY well managed. it eliminates needs for "backup" copies and creates a very immersive singular program to manage all your games/friends/stats.

Much as that region-locking bullet point sounds like a step backward to me, I like the fact that it's basically Windows Live without the yearly fee. Of course if Valve gets a stranglehold on the digital distribution market...

Anyway, I may have issues with Steam at times, but it sure seems like Valve has their **** together when it comes to getting the concepts right.

Edit: Now if they'd just port it to Linux...;)

NaitoSan
01-29-08, 04:21 PM
for free? damn. this is great news. kudos to valve as always.

Noriega
01-29-08, 04:54 PM
****ing nice

online authorization!! death to securom, starforce, safedisc etc..

i hope every company uses the online servers, matchmaking etc.. death to xbox live ****

Yes. Die Live die!

But I'am buying only games in shops. Games on Steam here in Poland are just to expensive I can get box version and pay less.

Unstable_Hero
01-29-08, 05:02 PM
I love steam but i want to know for how long will they let us redownload games and how many times, for instance clear sky was announced to be on steam, does that mean that 5 years from now we can't download it anymore? 10? 20? What happens if they go out of business or are bought out?

JigenD
01-29-08, 05:05 PM
Region locking is horrible for consumers. 99% of the time there isn't huge discrepancies between region pricing, and it's only going to hurt people who want games that come out in one region earlier or at all.

With regards to copy protection, I just hope they don't push that 'you have to be online to play even singleplayer' protection that some games have had.

nemecb
01-29-08, 05:08 PM
Region locking is a VERY good thing. example: Orange Box in US =$50; Orange Box in Latin America=$20
Sounds like a problem right there. Either they're losing money in Latin America, in which case why sell it there, or they're making an obscene amount on the US version. Region-locking is just a way of giving the shaft to certain geographies (ask our Australian forum members about that).

WeReWoLf
01-29-08, 10:02 PM
It was great when i got Bioshock a Full week before the rest of Australia, and Orange Box nearly a full month before. I also paid alot less for them than i would if i bought the boxed version here in Aus. Cost me about $48 AUD for Orange Box, when in stores it was selling for $80ish, and Bioshock cost me $56 AUD, again in stores costing $80+

Region locking is just going to be a way of saying "we want more money from your region, because we can"

jAkUp
01-29-08, 10:51 PM
I love steam but i want to know for how long will they let us redownload games and how many times, for instance clear sky was announced to be on steam, does that mean that 5 years from now we can't download it anymore? 10? 20? What happens if they go out of business or are bought out?
Gabe N. said that if that were to happen, they will unlock the game, they have the ability to do so.

K007
01-30-08, 02:05 AM
This is good..but unfortunately people will still find ways to get around it..maybe it might makes things harder/annoying so people will buy the dam game if they are giving that much of a effort to 'steal' it.

Overall all purchases i made on Steam, i have 0 problems, sure i had few hiccups here and there, but they were resolved and its all good.

Darkoz
01-30-08, 02:39 AM
Why because they make more then 3x the profits of valve?

I love how the atmosphere towards valve changed so drastically once they started giving **** out for free. Everyone was cursing and hating them when HL2 and EP1 released... PC gamers are such flip floppers... what are you all democrats?

Hehe, so true, you hit the nail right on the head.
After HL2 I personally dislike Valve's Steam with a passion and will not purchase any of their releases.
Call me old fashion but I like to physically buy a game load it up and play, not have to download it first, then install it then wait another 2 hours while it updates the game files, which happens even if you have bought the physical disk and to top it off it's no cheaper than buying retail.
Arsewipes.

LordJuanlo
01-30-08, 03:01 AM
Kudos to Valve!!! That's really awesome news, I hope developers jump into their wagon, screw GFWL!!!. Free matchmaking, free multiplayer achievements, no DVD checks... that's the way to go!!!

I only hope Microsoft won't buy Steam and integrate it into Live

Greg
01-30-08, 03:11 AM
Is it just me or would Steam be in direct competition with Windows Live?
I believe you're right. MS should have made the core components of Windows Live free, and allowed distributed, trusted matchmaking servers. Instead, we will soon have Windows Live, Steam, GameSpy, Quazal and a few others. So bragging about your achievements, checking leaderboards or finding friends in games will be (almost said like PS3 Network compared to XBox Live, lucky I didn't) pointless.

EciDemon
01-30-08, 03:27 AM
Got mixed feelings about Steam, on one hand I like that all my registered games there I can install whenever I like. But nowdays I have no active connection to my gaming rig and thats a problem with steam games, keep in mind all my steam games are retail cd/dvd.

Here's an example, when LostPlanet was released for PC i bought it right away, since I knew it was Capcom as publisher I didnt think for a second it was tied to Steam. So when I got home I could not install it (had my steam uninstalled as I didnt play any of my steam games anyways), and puter is not connected. It could not even install steam executables from the Dvd, nothing.

So I had to drag my puter to friends house, install the game, activate it only to see I still could not play offline single player, so I ended up getting a crack for the game. Offline singleplayer was later fixed in official patch but that was too late.

I hate buying a game and I cant play it right away due to something like this.

Edit: Crycis isnt tied to steam is it ? Gonna pick it up soon :)

Darkoz
01-30-08, 03:38 AM
Edit: Crycis isnt tied to steam is it ? Gonna pick it up soon :)

Luckily for us, no.