PDA

View Full Version : What is Intel going to do about the AMD Athlon 64?

Kain
04-24-03, 10:29 AM
Is Intel going to release a new processor to compete with the AMD Athlon 64?

marqmajere
04-24-03, 11:20 AM
No. Intel anounced that they are giving up and AMD will be supreme. :rolleyes: Aren't you tired of asking 30 questions a day yet?

Dazz
04-24-03, 12:20 PM
The presscot will go up against it but Intel has no mainstream 64bit processor planned as of yet.

Lunar
04-24-03, 01:25 PM
Intel is going to continue on the 32-bit path for right now. There really is no reason to switch to 64-bit in their eyes right now, and since there is 1 64-bit app made that I know of right now (UT2003) it doesn't really matter. I don't really see Athlon 64 being a threat.

StealthHawk
04-24-03, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by marqmajere
No. Intel anounced that they are giving up and AMD will be supreme. :rolleyes: Aren't you tired of asking 30 questions a day yet?

the question is isn't he tired of asking questions that have been asked before on this board, and many of the answers can be found easily with a search engine.

yes, Intel is releasing Prescott later this year, and will then follow up with Tejas.

Intel can turn up the heat easily, at any time they want. with the new 800MHz FSB Northwood's they just need to crank up the clock multiplier.

Kain
04-24-03, 05:12 PM
What exactly is the Prescott? What improvements will it offer over current Intel Pentium 4 processors?

-=DVS=-
04-25-03, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Kain
What exactly is the Prescott? What improvements will it offer over current Intel Pentium 4 processors?

Over current Pentium 4 3GHz with HT and 533Bus ---> only adds 800Bus

Nothing more nothing less , perhapse less MHz at start of production :p

Kain
04-25-03, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Over current Pentium 4 3GHz with HT and 533Bus ---> only adds 800Bus

Nothing more nothing less , perhapse less MHz at start of production :p Oh, so the Intel Pentium 4 3GHz (800MHz system bus) is the Prescott?

marqmajere
04-25-03, 06:00 AM
That's right.

Not to be rude or anything but it sure does seem like you're asking all of these questions as a cheesy way to up your post count. Just my opinion of course.....

Nemesis
04-25-03, 06:12 AM
Oh, so the Intel Pentium 4 3GHz (800MHz system bus) is the Prescott?

No, it's a Pentium 4 "C" - they have an 800MHz FSB, HT and that's it. The Prescott is out later this year, with several core enhancements, manufactured at 0.09 micron.

StealthHawk
04-25-03, 07:32 AM
differences between the 800FSB Northwoods and Prescott have been discussed in other threads.

search is your friend, there really aren't that many threads in General Hardware or CPU&Motherboard to go through.

and there is always the global forum search (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/search.php?s=)

SnakeEyes
04-25-03, 09:30 AM
Grrr.. I HATE when the reply page screws up. Just lost my post, so now I've gotta try to retype it.

The jist of it was- why don't you guys cut Kain some slack. The posts I've seen you all complain about aren't fud, flames, or otherwise trying to cause some sort of disruption here, nor are they posted (for the most part) in the wrong part of our forums. And if they are an attempt to increase his post count, so what? At least they're topics that should otherwise further stimulate discussion on the topics he's opening. This is much more than can be said for some of the things I've seen many of you post to increase your count.. (nonsense posts, or even blatent 'my 1000th post' type crap).

Sorry if I'm coming off harsh, but I don't see any issues with his current posts, and I'm a bit irate because of the recent spate of offensive/defensive replies in topics that have otherwise been good discussions. (re: most things nv30 related on this board lately :rolleyes: )

Oh, and as far as searching for something concerning this topic goes, I wouldn't have either, nor did I see one that explicitly mentioned any angle concerning whether Intel was going to release something as a response to AMDs 64 bit processors.

I don't see Prescott as a legitimate answer to the Hammer lineup, because it's basically a faster 32bit processor. Where's Intel stand on the 64bit issue now? (The last I'd heard, they had a press release that more or less stated 64bit processors aren't needed for most of this decade in the non-server environment)

Bubba
04-25-03, 10:42 AM
It looks like they may just push Itaniums and use a software solution. See this article- http://news.com.com/2100-1006-997936.html?tag=cd_mh there's a news item for it at [H]. Everything I've heard about 32 bit emu on Itaniums has, so far, been negative.

R.Carter
04-25-03, 10:48 AM
Oh, so the Intel Pentium 4 3GHz (800MHz system bus) is the Prescott?

No. The 3GHz P4 800MHz is still using the Northwood core not the new Prescott core.

The new 3.2GHz P4 800MHz should be using the new Prescott core.

Prescott core will start out being made with 90 nanometer strained silicon technology, and seven layers of low-k metal interconnect. Initially it will use a 800MHz FSB.

I think the following are the improvements with Prescott core

Larger L2 Unified Cache: 1024 kBytes vs 512 kBytes (Northwood)
Larger L1 Data Cache: 16 kBytes vs 8kBytes (Willamette / Northwood)
Low clock skew of 7 picoseconds vs 22 picoseconds for the Northwood
13 New Instructions (PNI = Prescott New Instructions)
CPU instruction trace cache increased from 12 to 16 k uOps
4 instructions/cycle fetch and retire (up from 3)
Two rapid ALU execution engines (up from 1)
Better power management
"La Grande" support (on-chip support for security stuff).
Additional Write Combining (WC) registers
Completely reworked Floating Point Unit (FPU)
Registers running at double clock speeds.(?)

There is some speculation that the Prescott could be x86-64 enabled if Intel wanted to do it... despite Intel indicating that they haven't added any 64 bit extensions to Prescott.

StealthHawk
04-25-03, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
The jist of it was- why don't you guys cut Kain some slack. The posts I've seen you all complain about aren't fud, flames, or otherwise trying to cause some sort of disruption here, nor are they posted (for the most part) in the wrong part of our forums. And if they are an attempt to increase his post count, so what? At least they're topics that should otherwise further stimulate discussion on the topics he's opening. This is much more than can be said for some of the things I've seen many of you post to increase your count.. (nonsense posts, or even blatent 'my 1000th post' type crap).

Maybe it's just me, but I get a little irked when I see 5 posts a day about topics which have already been discussed here before, are big news at all hardware sites, or can be found easily with google.

I mean come on, that shows me that he has put in ZERO effort to attain the information he is requesting. It's not so bad if it happens a few times, or consistently happens over a period of time in low volume, but the fact that he has posted literally 15 posts with easy answers in the span of a few days is pretty ridiculous.

Honestly, do you remember this thread? http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10568

All he had to do was click the link he posted, then click on FAQs and it answers his question!

It's like Jesus said, God won't help people who don't try to help themselves.

R.Carter
04-30-03, 12:28 PM
Well, Intel might not have to do anything at all if this article Athlon 64: The processor that wasn't there? (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9249) proves to be accurate. Of course, this is from the inquirer, so who knows.