PDA

View Full Version : Pringles Can WiFi Antenna

DaveW
04-24-03, 10:44 AM
Anyone ever tried this?

ricercar
04-24-03, 12:59 PM
Yeah, but don't forget a cylindrical antenna like a Pringle's can is a directional shotgun antenna, and requires the client to be an unmoving target.

Hmm. Maybe i could set up some robotics and a GPS to take care of the moving client problem...

Did you have any specific questions about WiFi or home made antennas?

DaveW
04-24-03, 01:27 PM
I'm thinking about wireless-lanning a couple of houses. I think there is a direct line of site between my house and his from the roof. Its maybe a quarter mile distance. Probably breaks an FCC regulation or two eh? :angel:

ricercar
04-24-03, 01:38 PM
Actually WiFi antenna mods are FCC legal because you're not increasing total transmission power, you're only changing the transmission dispersal pattern into a directional antenna.

However, under FCC class B you have to turn off your rig if the neighbors complain their 2.4 GHz phones or their WiFi stop working.

FCC
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_00/47cfr15_00.html

Project page
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

vampireuk
04-24-03, 01:43 PM
You people have pringles over in that backwards world of yours?:eek: :D

I heard about the antenna thing a while back, I chuckled for a while...then went to the shop

DaveW
04-24-03, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ricercar
Actually WiFi antenna mods are FCC legal because you're not increasing total transmission power, you're only changing the transmission dispersal pattern into a directional antenna.

However, under FCC class B you have to turn off your rig if the neighbors complain their 2.4 GHz phones or their WiFi stop working.

Schweet :) I guess stealing internet access from the nearby highschool would be ruled out though :D

The Baron
04-24-03, 03:41 PM
I checked this out when my router was being all ****ty on me--apparently, there's a design using a certain spaghetti can that works quite a bit better. I'll try to find it for you in a bit.

madthumbs
04-24-03, 05:01 PM
And I thought they were only good for potato rockets! :cool: