PDA

View Full Version : What if the Athlon64 is successful?

Cotita
04-24-03, 11:51 AM
Will there be a split between 64 and 32 bit apps and games?

Will we get 32bit games with 64bit extensions?

Will 32bit games benefit from 64 bit drivers?

Will intel release a X86-64 P4?

Will windows 2003/64 run 32 bit apps/games at full speed?

Anyone got a crystal ball?

Dazz
04-24-03, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Cotita
Will there be a split between 64 and 32 bit apps and games?

Will we get 32bit games with 64bit extensions?

Will 32bit games benefit from 64 bit drivers?

Will intel release a X86-64 P4?

Will windows 2003/64 run 32 bit apps/games at full speed?

Anyone got a crystal ball?
1# Yes
2# Maybe
3# No (Intel doesn't want to give in too AMD)
4# Yes

Sazar
04-24-03, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
1# Yes
2# Maybe
3# No (Intel doesn't want to give in too AMD)
4# Yes

intel perhaps will not be releasing their 64bit processor till h2 '04.. therefore amd does have some time to develop market share...

we shall just have to wait and see how much they can garner... since there are only so many cpu's they can fab @ their plants...

Lunar
04-24-03, 03:09 PM
The Problem AMD has is that they don't market. So people have no clue who they are, and buy Intel because they know it. I work at Best Buy. We sell far less athlons that celerons and P4's. We can have a celeron and an athlon system, the athlon will be better, but people will buy the celeron because they don't know the brand. Marketing is everything.

The Baron
04-24-03, 04:44 PM
Athlon64 is not a budget product like a Celeron or normal AthlonXP thing. It is designed SPECIFICALLY for workstations, servers, and then for people like us. And for those areas, the only one where you really need marketing is for servers (need OEM support). Everyone else is going to know what it is, know what it offers, and whether or not it's a good deal.

StealthHawk
04-24-03, 05:24 PM
Athlon64 is going to replace AthlonXP eventually. obviously it will be limited to the high end upon release, but I think by the end of 2004 even midrange should well be covered by Athlon64.

The Baron
04-24-03, 05:34 PM
Depends on software support, I would think. A64 probably costs quite a bit more for AMD to manufacture because of the integrated memory controller, but if it has good software support, it will replace AXP.

StealthHawk
04-24-03, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Depends on software support, I would think. A64 probably costs quite a bit more for AMD to manufacture because of the integrated memory controller, but if it has good software support, it will replace AXP.

well, I don't think AMD has any plans to extend the current CPU architecture past Barton, besides releasing a version with a 400MHz FSB.

SavagePaladin
04-24-03, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
I don't think they plan on a lot of 64 bit software support until somewhere around the end of 2004. I think however it'll be damn cool when it gets to it :)
As for the integrated memory controller, it shouldn't increase costs all that much. The rumored 1 meg cache, however....well well well.
Yummy. The whole thing is yummy.

The Baron
04-24-03, 07:32 PM
I'd like it more if it had more memory bandwidth :o But... SMP (and therefore dual memory controllers) should remedy that. :D