PDA

View Full Version : Connector on new fan ??

Mr Six
01-31-08, 06:31 PM
Ok so i just bought a new 120mm fan for my my old pc , this one :
»www.shopbot.ca/p-52793.html

It came with a 3 pin connector for the MOBO and what seems to be another small connector for the power and not the traditionnal 4 pin molex..

IE :Not this : http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm8004744CPU/Images/TRICOOL120MMDBB.JPG

So where exactly am i supposed to plug this new connector exactly ? On the mobo ?? the PS ?? I would post a pic of what it is but i don't find any.

Sorry if it's a noob question but i never say that type of connector before and i'm a bit puzzled :P

XDanger
01-31-08, 07:47 PM
is there some kind of speed controller with the fan?, What color are the leads on the extra cable?

Specs for that fan only show 1xfemale connector.

jeffmd
01-31-08, 08:23 PM
if its a low rpm fan, even 120mm can still be powered by the mobo header. My nexus cpu fan has both, and is being powered off the motherboard header.

Mr Six
01-31-08, 08:33 PM
Well , i just took 2 pics with my crappy cam so sorry for the quality but it will probably be enough to show you what i mean :P :

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/MrSix_2008/DSCF1037.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/MrSix_2008/DSCF1035.jpg

And XDanger , yes there is a switch to control the speed of the fan.This is the complete specs :

Technical Specifications
General Information
Manufacturer:
Startech Computer Products
Manufacturer Part Number:
FAN12X25ADJ
Product Name:
Aluminum Case Fan
Marketing Information:
StarTech's 12cm x 12cm x 2.5cm PC Aluminum case fan is an add-in cooling fan made from polished aluminum. This attractive case fan can be used to circulate cool air into the case or exhaust warm air out, preventing problems due to overheating components. A quiet running dual ball bearing DC motor coupled with a high efficiency blade design is sure to keep your system cool.
Product Type:
Case - Cooling Fan
Fan Information
Fan Diameter:
4.72"
Fan Speed:
2200 rpm
Air Flow:
79.14 CFM
Noise Levels:
30 dB(A)
Interfaces/Ports
Connectors:
3-pin TX3 Female
Power Description
Input Voltage:
12 V DC
Physical Characteristics
Material:
Aluminum Fan
Dimensions:
4.72" x 4.72" x 0.98"
Weight:
6.4 oz
Shipping Information
Shipping Weight :
0.8 lb
Pallet Qty :
Shipping Dimensions :
1.25" Height x 7" Width x 8.25" Depth
Case Pack Qty :
Miscellaneous
Additional Information:
# Color : Silver
# Noise : < 30 dBA
# Current : Up to 0.34 mA

Speed:
# Low - 1800 RPM
# Medium - 2000 RPM
# High - 2200 RPM

Applications and Solutions:
# Used in computer cases
# Also used as a replacement aluminum case fan

Advantage:
# 3 way speed adjustable switch
# Attractive polished aluminum case fan designed to improves heat dissipation
# Dual Ball Bearings in the cooling fan provides increased airflow, reliability and longer life
# Ultra quiet operation for minimal system noise

Features:
# Dual ball bearing motor
# High efficiency fan-blade design capable of moving up to 38 CFM
# Protects your computer from heat and increases the life of your system components
# Speed sensor output to the motherboard
Standard :

Man , i feel like suck a noob doing this lol.........

LORD-eX-Bu
01-31-08, 08:35 PM
lol just plug it into one of the motherboard's fan headers :rofl

Mr Six
01-31-08, 08:52 PM
lol just plug it into one of the motherboard's fan headers :rofl

I told you i felt like a noob for asking this lol.......But since i don't want to fry anything on the mobo i just want to play it safe :)

So , i just need to plug the 3 pin connector into one of the mobo fan header and that's it ? What's the other connector for then ?

LORD-eX-Bu
01-31-08, 09:00 PM
the other thing looks like a 4 pin molex connector but only has two or three pins correct? It is just an adaptor for you to use if you don't want to use the fan header.

The 3 pin fan header is best IMO.

Mr Six
02-01-08, 12:39 PM
the other thing looks like a 4 pin molex connector but only has two or three pins correct? It is just an adaptor for you to use if you don't want to use the fan header.

The 3 pin fan header is best IMO.

Well , i just installed it and everything works perfectly other than i had to find another set of screws because the ones whp came with the fan didn't fit in the holes of my case. . I set the fan at 2200rpm (max) and i almost don't hear anything and it push a decent amount of air.I had never heard about Star Tech before but this is a good product for sure.:)

Thanks for the help guys

XDanger
02-01-08, 01:36 PM
theres a round thing with a black rubber shroud. Hard to tell what, with that knitwear in the way.

If it was an alarm it would be in the specs.

WTF is it?

Mr Six
02-01-08, 02:06 PM
theres a round thing with a black rubber shroud. Hard to tell what, with that knitwear in the way.

If it was an alarm it would be in the specs.

WTF is it?

Haha......well it's not a knitwear but a glove and it doesn't hide much other than the rest of the cable (which is a regular cable that go into the fan).
As for what it is , well i still have no idea lol.It may be an adapter like Lord Blu said but i cannot confirm this.All i know is that the 3 pin connector was all i needed to plug for the fan to work and it's been running great so far.

If someone here know what i is i would appreciate if you could tell us because i'm curious about it :P

nekrosoft13
02-01-08, 02:11 PM
nm

LORD-eX-Bu
02-01-08, 02:19 PM
haha, looking at that thing now I don't have a clue about what it is :lol:

can you take close up pictures of it? Maybe it is used to connect another fan or goes to a rheobus? :confused:

nekrosoft13
02-01-08, 02:21 PM
use a macro mode on the camera

looks like a speed control switch my enermax fans have, but i can't be sure because of the poor blurry pictures

lduguay
02-01-08, 02:26 PM
Well it would be better to get a clear picture of this connector. As of now, the only thing in focus is your bed sheets.
This FAN12X25ADJ has only one standard TX3 connector.
:headexplode:

XDanger
02-01-08, 02:51 PM
Which color leads does the thing have connected to it?

Mr Six
02-01-08, 03:34 PM
use a macro mode on the camera

looks like a speed control switch my enermax fans have, but i can't be sure because of the poor blurry pictures

I think that you are correct.

I think that this is indeed a physical speed control switch.I adjusted my RPM with a prog (and now i realize that it may not even have worked since there is a switch) so i haven't messed up with it.

Advantage:
# 3 way speed adjustable switch

It must be it because it can't be anything else really.I would take a better quality pic but the PC is now under the desk and all plugged and i'm way too lazy to unplug and open it just for a pic.I'm 99.9% convinced that it's a SCS now anyway :P.If someone want to post a pic of another SCS i will tell if it look similar.