PDA

View Full Version : EVGA 8800gt No post/No boot

Buenamos
02-01-08, 04:52 PM
Hey guys. I just got my new card in today and whatd'ya know, it won't boot up. You can see my specs of the computer I'm putting it below and my first thought was maybe my PSU isn't sufficient but I did a little searching before posting and found this:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=250552

So, I'm guessing my power supply is fine. As of now the situation is, I took out my card out (only had one 7800gtx in), stuck in this sucker and all I get is a single beep from the motherboard and no post. Any ideas?

HeavyH20
02-01-08, 04:58 PM
I have not heard if the DFI NF4 boards work with PCIE 2.0 devices. You have two routes:

1. Motherboard BIOS. Do you have the latest?

2. 8800GT BIOS. There is an updated BIOS for the video card for better compatibility with older boards. The hard part will be getting is flashed. You may need to find a system that works with the card.

Spike21
02-01-08, 05:29 PM
Wow,the same thing happened to me yesterday.Spent 10 hours trying to get them to work,I have a 750w power supply so I know its not that, will try flashing bios in board to see if that works,but not willing to flash cards as I may have to return them and never have done it and am a little scared to do it.I have an Asus p5n32E-sli board.

Buenamos
02-01-08, 05:50 PM
I have not heard if the DFI NF4 boards work with PCIE 2.0 devices. You have two routes:

1. Motherboard BIOS. Do you have the latest?

Yep, just updated it earlier.

2. 8800GT BIOS. There is an updated BIOS for the video card for better compatibility with older boards. The hard part will be getting is flashed. You may need to find a system that works with the card.

I just updated that as well on my roommates PC and it's still a no go. What's really weird is that we have the same exact motherboard since I built it a few years ago when I built mine. It boots up fine on his so I'm guessing that it is the power supply. I think I'm going to run over to fry's and pick up a new PSU as I don't want to wait on newegg. If it's not the PSU then I can go ahead and take it back too.

Update: Instead of running to Fry's and grabbing a new PSU, I figured I'd go ahead and try my roommate's PSU first since the card worked fine in his computer.... It does the same thing again though! The fans all spin up and the CD drives blink a few times and then it beeps once.

For those of you that are curious, he is running a 3800+ with a DFI Lanparty sli-dr (same as me) and some sort of Ultra PSU.

I'm stumped...

Buenamos
02-01-08, 06:32 PM
ISSUE RESOLVED! The video card just didn't seem to like my top pci-express slot for some reason or another. Rather weird since my 7800gtx works in it fine. Thanks for the helpful post Heavy.

Spike21
02-01-08, 07:02 PM
Tried 1302 bios for board,still not working,this sucks....

Buenamos
02-01-08, 08:29 PM
Ha, well now I have a new predicament. Like I said earlier, for some reason or another I can't use the 8800gt in the top PCI-express slot so I went ahead and stuck it in the second. Anyways, I've went ahead and ran 3dmark06 in both xp and vista just to make sure everything was running fine and I'm only scoring around 6200. Which is a decrease in framerate through all of the tests in comparison to my 7800gtxs. Also, I noticed that 3dmark says the AGP rates (yes, I know it isn't agp ha) is at 2x while my previous benches were 8x which would make sense. (SLI = 8x for each slot rather than just 16x, correct?)

So I thought I had it solved, but obviously not. anyone?

Buenamos
02-01-08, 09:33 PM
Ha, one last update. I got it all fixed, it turns out that a single tiny pin fell out of one of the SLI jumpers when I was moving things around today. Now it's time to check out Crysis! :p