PDA

View Full Version : Why NV and AMD doesn't make games?

Noriega
02-03-08, 09:43 AM
I think the biggest opponent for graphic card market is not another company making GPU's but consoles. New high end cards are expensive so poeple prefer to buy a console and play some exclusives. I think that if NV or AMD make some great exclusive game like Gran Turismo then players will have a big reason to buy their new card. NV and AMD will have chance to show what their new baby can do if they make some very good optimised game pushing GPU to the limit using all new technologies and power in it. Lets take a look at 8800GTX it has launch in 2006 and people who spend a lot of money had to wait about year to see games that are using it's potential like Crysis. I really don't know why NV or AMD don't make a developer for theirs GPUs, devs sell game and get cash, NV/AMD sell more GPUs.

jeffmd
02-03-08, 10:05 AM
keep in mind, sony and microsoft dont make software either. they have groups the release under the sony/ms lable. also neither of them make their own hardware either. So theres no real incentive for either video chip maker to make games.

ArrowMk84
02-03-08, 10:34 AM
I think the biggest opponent for graphic card market is not another company making GPU's but consoles. New high end cards are expensive so poeple prefer to buy a console and play some exclusives. I think that if NV or AMD make some great exclusive game like Gran Turismo then players will have a big reason to buy their new card. NV and AMD will have chance to show what their new baby can do if they make some very good optimised game pushing GPU to the limit using all new technologies and power in it. Lets take a look at 8800GTX it has launch in 2006 and people who spend a lot of money had to wait about year to see games that are using it's potential like Crysis. I really don't know why NV or AMD don't make a developer for theirs GPUs, devs sell game and get cash, NV/AMD sell more GPUs.

I can't think of any good reasons why Nvidia or AMD would want to have a game studio. Showing off a video card's abilities is what their vendor demos (and 3DMark) are for. Owning a game studio takes them well out of their core business areas, into a very competitive market where they have to face off against the likes of EA, Microsoft, Ubisoft and Blizzard/Activison, instead of just each other. They'd have to divert at least ten million dollars (and more like twenty to thirty) that would better be used in hardware R&D to develop a AAA title. And, in order to have a AAA killer app ready for hardware launch, the game development team would have to stick to an extremely aggressive development schedule; doing this in the PC world is much harder than doing it in the console world, due to differences in drivers, OSes, and general hardware.

No, Nvidia and AMD are much better off leaving game development to the professionals. And if it takes a year for a game to come out that takes full advantage of the hardware (like Crysis shipped a year after the 8800 GTX launch), so be it.

|MaguS|
02-03-08, 11:08 AM
Reason that no one developes games specifically just for the high end graphics card market is because the market is so small. The goal for PC developers is to make their game flexible so that a wide range of systems can play it, not just the top of the line. If they did develope games in such a nature then they wouldn't recoop development costs.

Mind you also that the top end cards are usually sold at a lower profit margin then the mid range cards.

Nv40
02-03-08, 08:28 PM
Why NV and AMD doesn't make games?

Thats a good question. There will be no better marketing for a new video card than a next generation game that requires only the latest and the fastest video card of their lineup. It doesnt need to be a full game ,that takes about 4 - 5 years development. it doesnt need to be a big studio ,they dont need to market the game ,it could be donwloaded online. It could be a mini free game that takes only one year or less of development. that could be finished in just half an hour. (or less.) but that its graphics go far beyond anything else. The game if it is good enough in graphics...could be used as a benchmarking tool..and will be as popular (just like 3dmark..but exclusive to NVidia or ATI) and will encourage even more people to buy SLI/crossfire setups just to show their game demo to all their friends.

Is there is someone that i think will do it first is ATI ,they have been doing larger and larger demos lately ,and they have very good programmers that do graphics stuff in their free time..

|MaguS|
02-03-08, 09:33 PM
Thats a good question. There will be no better marketing for a new video card than a next generation game that requires only the latest and the fastest video card of their lineup. It doesnt need to be a full game ,that takes about 4 - 5 years development. it doesnt need to be a big studio ,they dont need to market the game ,it could be donwloaded online. It could be a mini free game that takes only one year or less of development. that could be finished in just half an hour. (or less.) but that its graphics go far beyond anything else. The game if it is good enough in graphics...could be used as a benchmarking tool..and will be as popular (just like 3dmark..but exclusive to NVidia or ATI) and will encourage even more people to buy SLI/crossfire setups just to show their game demo to all their friends.

Is there is someone that i think will do it first is ATI ,they have been doing larger and larger demos lately ,and they have very good programmers that do graphics stuff in their free time..

So you think they should develop free software that only the best hardware can use to show off the hardwares capabilities? Um, They already do... ATI and Nvidia both develop demos that show off their newest GPUs capabilities and previous generations usually cannot run them or can't run them properly.

You also explaind many of the benchmark tools already available, why should Nvidia or ATI create their own if other companies already do it? Why should they waste money to create software that they will gain nothing from? Just so PC Elitiest can justify their $1200 GPU system?

It's a waste of resources and money for them to do that...

nutcrackr
02-03-08, 09:51 PM
Nevermind making games nvidia and amd should be advertising for games more, I understand they run various booths and such, but you don't see big advertising budgets from these guys.