PDA

View Full Version : First ever quad core Nehalem CPU-Z picture

AthlonXP1800
02-03-08, 01:54 PM
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5687/120194909498719b3ae50xp6.jpg

A quad core Nehalem CPU with 8 threads performing like 16 cores?

All I can say is HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLY CRAP!!! :eek: :afraid:

Can you imagine how will AMD feel about Intel's octal core:

Dual core Nehalem CPU (2 x 4 threads = 8/2) = 4 cores
Quad core Nehalem CPU (4 x 8 threads = 32/2) = 16 cores
Octal core Nehalem CPU (8 x 16 threads = 128/2) = 64 cores

BronzeGod
02-03-08, 02:10 PM
Holy **** Batman!

KasuCode
02-03-08, 02:13 PM
Thats my next big upgrade.

Uberpwnage
02-03-08, 02:14 PM
According to this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=175737) it was a dual socket mobo with 2 quad core nehalems, so one "octa" core cpu would only show up as 16 cores in Windows. Nevertheless, very impressive if true.

Speculation arose due to some discrepancies between the "Core VID" heading in that screen and the "Core Voltage" heading that appears in cpu-z 1.43, since both appear to be the same version. Also, alot of debate over whether the architecture changes represented coincide with official Nehalem info. I hope it's real, and I hope the multipliers stay high :D

LORD-eX-Bu
02-03-08, 02:42 PM
I'll take the quad core version. The 8 core nehalem is for workstations and I think it will require a different motherboard other than the two platforms offered for the performance and mainstream editions.

amk21
02-03-08, 02:57 PM
isn't this sue out h2 2009? correct me if I'm wrong....

Uberpwnage
02-03-08, 03:37 PM
isn't this sue out h2 2009? correct me if I'm wrong....
I believe we'll begin seeing them in Q4 of this year, probably not the desktop variants though, maybe an EE but nothing mainstream.

Madpistol
02-03-08, 04:53 PM
:eek:

Uberpwnage
02-03-08, 05:32 PM
Not much point in getting the quad version IMO, with the 8 core sure to follow a few months after. We have quads that are just fine now.

Feyy
02-03-08, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, Octo upgrade in 2009 for sure :captnkill: :captnkill:

amk21
02-03-08, 08:34 PM
Damm, socket 775?

LORD-eX-Bu
02-03-08, 08:38 PM
eh, nehalem will come in Socket B and H. LGA1366 and LGA715.

Zenoth
02-03-08, 11:11 PM
Amazing to see such capable CPU's. They will be tremendous performers for synthetic benchmarking, video/audio encoding/decoding, photoshoping, and ect.

But quite useless for gaming. Well... not "useless" per se but still quite over-blown and exaggerate. The current Quad Cores, with 4 threads total, can barely get used by gaming. Maybe if you like Supreme Commander and UT3... why not I presume. But 99% of the gaming market can only take advantage of a Dual Core, and that's only "when possible". The remaining one percent can use from three Cores to four.

But I won't start the debate about that, everyone knows already what it's all about. Such multi-processor CPU's are relevant, and legitimately useful, with good reasons (I.E programs) that can take the advantage of such computing power. If I myself would be a dedicated worker for big companies working on character animations and video encoding or anything like that, or a professional photoshop user, I would gladly jump to the wagon and buy one, provided I would have the money...

nekrosoft13
02-04-08, 08:09 AM
nice, my OC'ed Q6600/680i will last me for a while. will wait for Nehalem for next upgrade.

ViN86
02-04-08, 08:35 AM
that's awesome

also has SSE4.1 and SSE4.2 :headbang:

Absolution
02-04-08, 01:29 PM
Amazing to see such capable CPU's. They will be tremendous performers for synthetic benchmarking, video/audio encoding/decoding, photoshoping, and ect.

But quite useless for gaming. Well... not "useless" per se but still quite over-blown and exaggerate. The current Quad Cores, with 4 threads total, can barely get used by gaming. Maybe if you like Supreme Commander and UT3... why not I presume. But 99% of the gaming market can only take advantage of a Dual Core, and that's only "when possible". The remaining one percent can use from three Cores to four.

But I won't start the debate about that, everyone knows already what it's all about. Such multi-processor CPU's are relevant, and legitimately useful, with good reasons (I.E programs) that can take the advantage of such computing power. If I myself would be a dedicated worker for big companies working on character animations and video encoding or anything like that, or a professional photoshop user, I would gladly jump to the wagon and buy one, provided I would have the money...

I would disagree to a point.

1 thread instructions to be sent to gpu
1 thread sound
1 thread physics
1 thread netcode

but ya, largely useless =/ physics + gpu are the slow main threads that will bog the system down anyway

K007
02-04-08, 02:48 PM
Hmm not many games even take advantage of the quad cores...

jolle
02-04-08, 03:27 PM
Gonna take a while for gaming to catch up on threading.
Since its been said that splitting things up in threads, and its reasonable to say that splitting things up into MORE threads is harder, coarse granularity threading such as using one thread for sound, one for physics etc isnt that bad, but when you try to split those tasks up into several threads it apparantly gets pretty hairy.

Anyhow, the Guru3d Skulltrail benches (2x Quad) doesnt show anything tangible in the field of gaming. (tho its perhaps not the best representation of threaded games on the market).
http://www.guru3d.com/article/processor/495/11/

ViN86
02-04-08, 04:26 PM
Hmm not many games even take advantage of the quad cores...
that's why i bought an uber fast overclockable dual core :D