PDA

View Full Version : "X: Terran Conflict" coming in Q3

kaltek
02-03-08, 09:41 PM
mwahaha (nana2)
Egosoft and Koch Media have announced that their space trading and combat trilogy will come to a spectacular end this year with X: Terran Conflict. Terran Conflict will be a stand-alone title in the X universe and promises to deliver a grand finale that takes the player all the way back to Earths solar system. The game will feature a universe bigger than ever before, with more missions than ever before, and will be posing some questions like How has Earth changed in all these years? and And how will relations between Earth and its counterparts in the X universe develop?
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2008/02/04/egosoft-and-koch-announce-x%c2%b3-terran-conflict/

Thingding
02-04-08, 07:28 AM
i think X3 kinda missed the boat. unless it's finally an mmo...?

Vasot02
02-04-08, 07:42 AM
As a combat simulator Egosoft X games always seemed lacking and trade was never my favorite part

The combat system was kind of meh...

Also gathering money for some cool ships etc was a boring and very long procedure and with many repeative missions

X Universe just does not feel like Freespace Universe when it comes to combat which was an amazing Space combat simulator for the time

I just miss a good Space combat simulator
and i do not care about trading

i think X3 kinda missed the boat. unless it's finally an mmo...?

Blah

MMO games suck and are mostly swallow

If it becomes an MMO i surely will not buy it

Q
02-04-08, 08:59 AM
I miss PC space simulation/combat so much, this announcement could have been "Yogi Bear in Space" and I still would have gotten all hot and bothered.

stncttr908
02-04-08, 10:15 AM
Bought X3, still never devoted any time to it. :o

swaaye
02-04-08, 04:39 PM
Yeah I own both X2 and X3 and neither really does it for me. The combat aspects are awful and the trading is just a go-nowhere ordeal in the end. After you've devoted hundreds of hours trading junk, figuring out the goofy economy and are a megacorp supermogul, the AI isn't going to do anything to give you a challenge. The games are just "odd" with the whole NorthSouthEastWest gate system and the strange concept of separate sectors which just happen to have businesses all grouped together in a tiny area.

I just want another space opera shooter game. Epic battle against enemy fleets. Freespace/XvT/WC kinda stuff.

Actually, a new Independence War would be cool. I loved the Newtonian flight model. The second game was a bit too hard IMO and empty-feeling, however. It also totally bombed in sales, I believe, so we'll likely never hear from that series again. lol.

SH64
02-04-08, 05:45 PM
If its uses the FutrueMark's Vantage Engine i'll be happy :p

Greg
02-04-08, 10:04 PM
X3 was the first X game I bought. It was fun, though sometimes I felt like I was just flying around a skybox. The main problem was it took too long to achieve anything.

Really, these games are a kind of grind, which is not necessarily bad if you have freedom to do different things and have fun while doing them. A game like Diablo 2 was a near perfectly tuned grind, there was always something to achieve just minutes away. Pity the whole game involved clicking a button to either attack or retreat. Probably why I never bothered finishing it. But you get the idea, most gamers are now in their 30s and don't have time to spend all day or all weekend playing, so the game really needs to move at a fast pace and be playable in 30min to 1hr chunks with continuous fun and satisfaction.

One thing this new game appears to have, is the ability to defend (and finally own?) a sector. It was cool in X3 to start with one crappy ship and end up with a fleet including capital ships as well as factory complexes, but I really wished I could influence the game world by capturing and holding entire sectors, wiping out other races to achieve to higher level personal goals. Nothing like destroying a pirate base only to have it reappear some time later for no reason.

While I'm ranting... I notice the developers realized players quite enjoyed the BBS missions. I had played the game for about 60hrs before I even discovered the option to do missions. (I did see the option at first, but ignored it thereafter because it was just one option in some obscure menu.)

DaveW
02-04-08, 10:57 PM
X3 was awesome if you dedicated the time to it, read the unofficial guides, printed off the maps and ship/weapon stats, and sorted the wheat from the chaff with regards to the third party mods.

But the learning curve was horrible, unnecessarily so. The interface was confusing, things were poorly documented, even the language was cryptic. E.g. "yazura, mazura, wizuras" instead of days, mins, hours... the weapons were named things like HEPT alpha, HEPT beta... whats wrong with small plasma gun, medium plasma gun?... Then theres the ships - Argon Mercury, Taucan Hauler... ok which was the personal transporter again?

One thing this new game appears to have, is the ability to defend (and finally own?) a sector. It was cool in X3 to start with one crappy ship and end up with a fleet including capital ships as well as factory complexes, but I really wished I could influence the game world by capturing and holding entire sectors, wiping out other races to achieve to higher level personal goals. Nothing like destroying a pirate base only to have it reappear some time later for no reason.

Agree with you completely.