PDA

View Full Version : Nice - new system hard locks

Pages : [1] 2

Riptide
02-04-08, 10:18 AM
My computer has been running well for about two weeks until just recently. No driver changes have taken place or any hardware changes. No BIOS config changes either.

When watching videos the system has hard locked with sound stuck in a loop twice in the last couple days. System reset is necessary to bring it back as it is totally unresponsive. Task manager will not come up. Event viewer shows absolutely nothing wrong. No blue screens ever come up. Vista x64 Ultimate.

Games work fine - though to be fair I haven't played much more than an hour at a time and that is what usually is required to get the system to lock up. Folding@Home runs fine for hours and hours. I ran memtest86+ last night for 15 hours of walltime. No errors.

I am using Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0 and the CCCP codec pack. Latest release whql Nvidia driver.

What the hell is going on here?

EciDemon
02-04-08, 10:28 AM
Dunno "only" two lockups id say it's one of those things. Im used to my puter locking up far more, but I usually push the limits a bit (old rig that is).

Id check the codecs first, see if you can find an alternative to the actual codec in use and replace it, with MP Classic you should be able to see exactly what codec is used to play that particular video (ive had problems with codecs simalar to this in the past)

A no brainer but still ;) use all latest drivers

Edit: Btw it wasnt the same movie that locked up twice ?

Riptide
02-04-08, 10:31 AM
It's happened with different codecs and different videos. I was watching Gladiator in h.264 the day before yesterday when it broke. And last night it was the new pirates movie. Not sure which codec but it wasn't h.264 that time.

EciDemon
02-04-08, 10:38 AM
Humm, Last time i did see lockups during video playback was when my gfx card was overclocked. For some reason it was more picky with OC during video playback then in actuall games (ie id see artifacts far sooner in during video playback vs actuall gaming). I dont think that's the case with your setup but it could be good to know non the less. So check video temps/cpu load, Riva tuner is good for this.

However, Some of the 8800 series are suposed to hardware accelerate HD video content but I cant remember when this support was added (i know its present in GT cards), so maybe different drivers is what you need ?

EDIT: Going home from work now so Ill have to check in on this thread tomorrow to see if you managed to fix the problem, Im sure people here can come with some good tips

The wonder of bugs ... You might have been "affected" all the time but its just hard to pinpoint the exact curcomstances for your puter to crash, the only other thing I can think of is to close all other open apps (like antivirus, msn etc etc) maybe one of those are responsible for a memory conflict or god knows what.
So go as basic as you can, see if it still crashes. then atleast you know what it is not causing problems.

Riptide
02-04-08, 10:45 AM
I don't get artifacts it just all the sudden hard locks as described. I suppose it could be the video card which is factory overclocked (626/2000). If I can't get anywhere with this then maybe ATI Tool artifact scanner might be a good thing to try. That should test the core and RAM on the card pretty well.

New driver might not hurt to try. There are some 171.xx betas out.
Try ffdshow instead.
It's already installed. Part of CCCP.

Riptide
02-04-08, 10:55 AM
That is one thing I'm considering. Removing the auzentech. It is worth mentioning that the auzentech has been working OK for a while so it's unlikely to be the culprit.

But when it's a needle in the haystack... I know.

Tr1cK
02-04-08, 12:51 PM
Try VLC Player instead of Media Player Classic and the codec pack.

Riptide
02-04-08, 12:59 PM
I'm taking the auzentech out tonight and going back to the Realtek onboard. I'm also going to upgrade to the new 171.xx beta driver for the GTX.

If that won't fix it then I'll start screwing around with the codecs and the media player. Try VLC maybe or switch over to WMP. I might also use ATI Tool to check the card and also run Prime95 for 8 hours or so on the machine and see if it catches anything.

tacos4me
02-04-08, 01:24 PM
I had the same exact problem a few months ago. Every time I would sit down to watch a DivX/Xvid encoded movie, my rig would randomly lock up, with an endless sound loop. Couldn't figure it out for the longest time.

Is your processor overclocked? That ended up being my problem. Orthos could run all day, and I could play games all night with no issues whatsoever. I thought my overclock was stable. Turns out it wasn't. Dropped my clock speed by 200MHz and I haven't had a lock up during videos since. More voltage to the processor didn't seem to help, so I concluded something funky was going on with my 680i and settled with a lesser overclock.

Absolution
02-04-08, 01:25 PM
Hard locks are from faulty hardware - at least in my experience. I've never resolved a hard lock other than an RMA/bios update.

Tr1cK
02-04-08, 01:52 PM
Another thought: Try with just 4gb of RAM in and maybe different slots?
Also, if you are running 1t command rate, try 2t. It doesn't make a big of a difference on Intel as it did for AMD systems it seems.

Riptide
02-04-08, 02:20 PM
System is not overclocked. Stock CPU speeds and RAM settings.

I may try just 4GB at some point. But it passed 14 hours of memtest86+ walltime with 8GB in there. That tends to make it seem like the memory isn't the issue.

I dunno. I am going to force 2T in the BIOS though even though it's on Auto and CPU-Z reports 2T already.
Hard locks are from faulty hardware - at least in my experience. I've never resolved a hard lock other than an RMA/bios update.
Problem is that sometimes that can be a serious PITA. :(

I've seen systems pass hours and hours of Prime, memtest, folding@home, etc.. And still lock up randomly when playing games. Even though the video card passed ati tool scanner. Turned out to be a bad motherboard.

ViN86
02-04-08, 04:29 PM
sounds like you have an incompatible program/codec/driver/extension.

have you checked Event Viewer in the Control Panel?

also check Problem Reports and Solutions.

also, youre not OCing, right? if so, disable that. when i OC too much, my system hard locks. had to bring her down to 2.4GHz and increase voltage.

Riptide
02-04-08, 04:47 PM
Event viewer records no problems other than "The previous system shutdown was unexpected". :rolleyes:
Worthless.

I'm not overclocking. While I was home on lunch I installed a different video driver for the GTX (a beta) and also remove the auzentech sound card. I'll try testing it out and see what happens.

If it freaks out again I'll try WMP or VLC and see if it still locks.

XDanger
02-04-08, 05:08 PM
delete all codecs and install GOM PLAYER
http://www.gomplayer.com/whatisgom.html

Tr1cK
02-04-08, 05:12 PM
delete all codecs and install GOM PLAYER
http://www.gomplayer.com/whatisgom.html
Does this allow for network caching? That's my biggest issue with VLC is that it only allows HTTP caching.

XDanger
02-04-08, 06:59 PM
HTTP streaming if that helps????? I dunno ,It plays stuff.

mullet
02-05-08, 01:12 AM
Have you updated the Bios? Do you have memory remapped enabled? Trick has a good idea use VLC.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-05-08, 01:31 AM
what are your gpu temps when you are watching these movies? Have you tried adding a fan to blow directly onto your graphics card?

mullet
02-05-08, 02:46 AM
what are your gpu temps when you are watching these movies? Have you tried adding a fan to blow directly onto your graphics card?

Playing his game for 1 hour is more intense no? :D

LORD-eX-Bu
02-05-08, 02:46 AM
o.O

EciDemon
02-05-08, 03:37 AM
Playing his game for 1 hour is more intense no? :D
Video and games are not the same, they stress different parts, read my posts on the first page to see what I mean.

Revs
02-05-08, 04:04 AM
Never had much luck with codec packs. They've always ended up causing problems for me, sometimes major. VLC is the way to go fo' sho'!

Riptide
02-05-08, 07:31 AM
what are your gpu temps when you are watching these movies? Have you tried adding a fan to blow directly onto your graphics card?The one that freaked out last was a DiVX vid of 623x258. Not likely going to push the gfx card to temp extremes. As for checking the 8800's temps I have no idea how to do that w/Vista x64. I do know the fan doesn't ever kick up to 100% though. I would be able to hear it.

lduguay
02-05-08, 08:15 AM
Forceware 169.25 (or 169.09, not sure) was causing random hardlocks in WMP on my rig. Now i run 171.16, seems ok.