PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Acquires AGEIA Technologies!

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
02-04-08, 05:40 PM
Surprise anyone ?
NVIDIA announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire AGEIA Technologies. More details will be revealed during NVIDIA's quarterly results next week Wednesday.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1202161567170.html
http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=49422&mode=thread&order=0

"The AGEIA team is world class, and is passionate about the same thing we are creating the most amazing and captivating game experiences," stated Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO of NVIDIA. "By combining the teams that created the world's most pervasive GPU and physics engine brands, we can now bring GeForce-accelerated PhysX to hundreds of millions of gamers around the world."

Delete if repost.

J-Mag
02-04-08, 05:46 PM
Good news, maybe we'll actually start seeing hardware accelerated physics titles that are worth a damn...

SH64
02-04-08, 05:53 PM
Hopefully nVidia will implement AGEIA technology on their GFX cards and not on their mainboards!
Could we see it implemented on the GF9 series ?? that would be superb!

Arioch
02-04-08, 06:08 PM
Awesome - gonna see another $100 slapped on the price of a video card. On a more positive note, if its integrated into their GPU solutions maybe we will see more games take advantage of it.

jAkUp
02-04-08, 06:10 PM
:D I think with the good developer support that NV has, we can finally see top tier games using Ageia technology.

nekrosoft13
02-04-08, 06:17 PM
sounds good, implement on motherboard ;)

BronzeGod
02-04-08, 06:35 PM
Lol, they should fix the Vista refresh bug first, then make me a physx board....

nekrosoft13
02-04-08, 06:38 PM
Lol, they should fix the Vista refresh bug first, then make me a physx board....

its not for them to fix

amk21
02-04-08, 06:44 PM
Hopefully this doesn't increase the price of an nvidia gpu by much, with that said this sounds like a great idea..

xavier2k5
02-04-08, 06:45 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do with the drivers/will they still support the add-in ageia physx cards that people like me have or will they only support the integration of this technology in their motherboards/graphics cards? ;)

Monolyth
02-04-08, 06:55 PM
Havok is still the reigning king of physics API's in most modern games, not sure how much this will give nVidia in the physics department, but the specialization is already there, easier to buy then to recruit for a new department I suppose. I think this will be the death knell to the legacy Ageia products.

If nVidia is smart the solution will simply be "wrapped" into high-end video cards, the biggest issue as I said before will be getting Havok to play nicely, but nVidia has much much much more clout then Ageia ever did, perhaps this could be the creation of a dedicated cross-platform physics API foundation...or maybe I am just blowing hot steam... The latter being the most likely of occurrences. :D

$n][pErMan
02-04-08, 07:45 PM
Better be on their graphics card... even with physics... I would not touch an nVidia chipset motherboard with a 10ft pole :p

agentkay
02-04-08, 08:10 PM
Good news and now buy AMD while you are at it. ;)

a12ctic
02-04-08, 08:30 PM
Don't AMD/ATI chips already out perform nvidia chips by a longshot in physics? This could just be to merge it into their current chips to take that advantage back.

crainger
02-04-08, 08:39 PM
Don't AMD/ATI chips already out perform nvidia chips by a longshot in physics? This could just be to merge it into their current chips to take that advantage back.

::sigh::

jAkUp
02-04-08, 09:17 PM

There are no games that take advantage of GPU physics, so we don't know who's is faster.

Regardless, the PPU is a PPU, not a GPU, I don't think Ageia will run their code on the GPU.

ViN86
02-04-08, 09:53 PM
:wtf:

hokeyplyr48
02-04-08, 10:19 PM

yah i saw a bunch of benchmarks for that. it really took the lead in microsoft pinball...

no

do you have any proof or links?

SeriTonin
02-04-08, 10:40 PM
Awesome - gonna see another $100 slapped on the price of a video card. On a more positive note, if its integrated into their GPU solutions maybe we will see more games take advantage of it.

+2

nekrosoft13
02-04-08, 10:50 PM

wow, how pathetic:headexplode:

ViN86
02-04-08, 11:09 PM
how much did AGEIA sell for?

i couldnt find it in the article.

AthlonXP1800
02-05-08, 12:32 AM
Wow I am surprised to hear that NVIDIA acquired AGEIA long before AMD struggled to find ways to raise enough money to buy AGEIA few months ago so they are now too late gained nothing, Intel got Havok and Nvidia got AGEIA now.

jolle
02-05-08, 04:43 AM
Sounds like they intend to just slap GPUs on separate boards and sell under the name of "PhysX".

From the quote in the first post:
"By combining the teams that created the world's most pervasive GPU and physics engine brands, we can now bring GeForce-accelerated PhysX to hundreds of millions of gamers around the world."

K007
02-05-08, 05:22 AM
:D I think with the good developer support that NV has, we can finally see top tier games using Ageia technology.

Agreed.

Chances are i think Nvidia might release it with there mobo or GPU..or maybe as a attached package deal..just to sweeten the deal to make it easy choice for the consumer..and hopefully nvidia can push the product so that developers will use it..if that was to happened then..i know what my choice will be..

SLippe
02-05-08, 07:06 AM
Maybe the next nVidia demo will have more "bounce"! :naughty: