PDA

View Full Version : 8800GXT: Crash, Sound Stutter, NV4_DISP.DLL errors

TVisitor
02-05-08, 09:39 AM
Hi all,

After searching around, I found this forum and it seems like a pretty good community to ask questions of.

Built my latest PC a few months back:
P5K Deluxe Motherboard (0701 BIOS) [using built in sound]
2G Corsair RAM
E6850 Core 2 Duo Processor @ 3 GHZ
BFG 8800GXT Video card
Enermax Galaxy 800W Power Supply
Hitachi 1TB drive
Forceware 169.21
XPPro w/SP2

System seems to be adequately cooled, and I think if it were heat related, I'd not crash, reboot, and then be able to play for 1/2 hour before having it happen again. System is on 24/7.

I believe I have more than enough power, and the video card is plugged into the separately designated PSU connectors for video boards that need more power (and boy does it...)

So I'm playing Valve's Portal - and seemingly randomly during the game (could happen on the game's menu screen, could happen 20 minutes in...) the game freezes solid. I get similar but slightly different crashes:

1. Stuttering sound, black screen, cursor blinking in the upper left. Have to reboot.

2. Stuttering sound, I can see the desktop, with a big black chunk missing, filled with graphical garbage, move the mouse, but no response otherwise. Have to reboot.

3. Stuttering sound, dialog that pops up in a very low res, claiming NV4_DISP.DLL has stopped working properly. Can't hit "ok", need to reboot.

Went through valve's troubleshooting process (setting down sound acceleration, setting down DX versions to the game, etc.) with no luck.

For ANY of these tests, I'm not running any antivirus/antispyware/software firewalls, or any other apps running.

I've been using Sysinternals process explorer (Wininternals, I guess now...) to systematically kill processes before I start playing to see if anything conflicts.

I got to the point where I killed NV32SVC.DLL, the desktop helper service for nVidia cards, and it seemed like things ran a LOT smoother. I was able to play all 18 levels through without a hitch. So I went to system services and disabled it. However, yesterday, I had a crash. I don't see it showing up in my process list, so I am pretty sure I did disable it. Maybe playing through all 18 was just getting lucky.

I see that this is a pretty hot topic, so I'm glad I'm not alone. I've *never* BSOD'd though.

Thoughts? Opinions? Sympathies? :-)

Labyrinth
02-06-08, 10:28 AM
3. Stuttering sound, dialog that pops up in a very low res, claiming NV4_DISP.DLL has stopped working properly. Can't hit "ok", need to reboot.

This issue is very common with Vista...although nobody can seem to pinpoint what's causing it. Some people say video card overheating, the OS, the drivers, etc....but nobody really knows. I even had this problem too, but since I've got back to XP 64-bit, I haven't seen it since.

Go figure....and good luck.