PDA

View Full Version : Building new computer.....

Tygerwoody
02-05-08, 12:19 PM
Finally getting rid of this AMD garbage. Its stinking up my house with its filth.

Few Questions to those that will help:

I'm debating on whether to go E8400 or if I should wait on the new quads. Thoughts?

Also debating on if I should go the watercooling route this time. What is a good/easy watercooling unit to get? If the risk of getting a leak is too much, I won't do it, but it would be cool to. :)

If not, what is a good air cooling HSF set?

Good Motherboard? I will not purchase another Nvidia Chipset Motherboard. Only Intel. I want to spend under $150 on one, any more than that is just stupid. I don't think I've ever spent more than $100 to be honest.

I think thats it. Thanks!

Revs
02-05-08, 12:28 PM
The E8400 is a superb CPU. OC's very well. You could get a quad but that's personal preference I think. I got a Q6600 and a E8400 to compare the two and ended up keeping the E8400. If you doing alot of video compression, etc, go with a quad, though.

As for a good cheap watercooling kit, i'm very pleased with mine (see sig). Took about 20-30 mins to install and works very well. Very reasonable price too. If you're wanting to cool more than the CPU the bigger 220 kit is a must.

http://www.swiftnets.com/

The P5K Premium I had was a very good and stable board. Most will agree it's the best for the money. I couldn't go back to one card after having SLI though.

mullet
02-05-08, 01:37 PM
The E8400 is a superb CPU. OC's very well. You could get a quad but that's personal preference I think. I got a Q6600 and a E8400 to compare the two and ended up keeping the E8400. If you doing alot of video compression, etc, go with a quad, though.

As for a good cheap watercooling kit, i'm very pleased with mine (see sig). Took about 20-30 mins to install and works very well. Very reasonable price too. If you're wanting to cool more than the CPU the bigger 220 kit is a must.

http://www.swiftnets.com/

The P5K Premium I had was a very good and stable board. Most will agree it's the best for the money. I couldn't go back to one card after having SLI though.

I agree totally.

EDIT: dude just get a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme and be done with it.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-05-08, 01:48 PM
I would go with the e8400 unless you are going to be doing a bit of encoding..

good 2x2gb DDR2 kits are dirt cheap on newegg.. I would recommend the G.skill PC-1000 kit since it is priced very well and likes to OC with good timings, I would go for a cheap P35 board for now..

what do you want to cool.. just the cpu? if so just get the kit that revs recommended. If you want to get more involved and w/c the gpu as well I would recommend you get a D-tek Fuzion cpu waterblock. Bowed and with accelerator nozzles it beats any other block.

DD or EK gpu waterblocks are good, tho I would wait till the new cards come out(unless you are going with AMD of course) and look at the custom blocks made for those.

Get at least a Thermochill PA 120.3(excellent performance especially at low or mid fan speeds like Yate Loon D12sm fans) and a Swiftech MCP655 pump... I'd get tygon r3606 tubing and a swiftech mres-1000 reservoir unless you want to mess with a T-line and make sure you get a good quality case that you can fit all this stuff into :)

If you use teflon tape and worm drive hose clamps you won't have to worry about leaks.

it all sounds complicated but its not, I ripped apart my loop yesterday and had it all back together and going in about 10 minutes. It isn't difficult at all to install.

Revs
02-05-08, 04:43 PM
I agree totally.

I agree if he goes for an E8400, but quads benefit from watercooling.

Revs
02-05-08, 05:11 PM
It depends on the quad and how far you wanna push it I suppose. What sort of temps do you get and at what vCore?

Revs
02-05-08, 05:39 PM
Although it never reaches 'prime' temps during normal use it's still nice to know it's below. At 64.5C max temp you're a little over but acceptable IMO. There are pros and cons with water cooling as I found out recently.

Turned on the PC forgetting I'd unplugged the pump (crazy), pump warped, coolant leaked, mobo stopped working. Lucky escape though. Just a new pump needed (pump and waterblock in one on this kit).

Won't be doing that again :o

LORD-eX-Bu
02-05-08, 05:40 PM
lol that sucks. Thats why I'm not a fan of the pump being part of the cpu block :lol:

Revs
02-05-08, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I was sooooo pissed off with myself. I could have cryed while I was washing the coolant off my shiny new Striker in the shower. So happy when it booted up after drying it out. The coolant got everywhere, slots, RAM, G cards. I was VERY lucky. Just waiting for a new pump now.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-05-08, 05:45 PM
wtf, in the shower? :rofl

what type of coolant does that kit use? hydrix?

ViN86
02-05-08, 10:31 PM
Finally getting rid of this AMD garbage. Its stinking up my house with its filth.

Few Questions to those that will help:

I'm debating on whether to go E8400 or if I should wait on the new quads. Thoughts?

Also debating on if I should go the watercooling route this time. What is a good/easy watercooling unit to get? If the risk of getting a leak is too much, I won't do it, but it would be cool to. :)

If not, what is a good air cooling HSF set?

Good Motherboard? I will not purchase another Nvidia Chipset Motherboard. Only Intel. I want to spend under $150 on one, any more than that is just stupid. I don't think I've ever spent more than $100 to be honest.

I think thats it. Thanks!
well, i went with the E8400 tyger because i was torn between the same thing.

fast dual core or quad core? well, i figured that most games barely utilize 2 cores, let alone 4. also, they benefit from raw speed, and im hoping this little beauty will do 4GHz.

so, a C2D at 4GHz vs 4 cores.... if im a gamer, im going with the 4GHz :D

also, i went with a P35 mobo. i wanted an intel mobo to keep it nice and stable. and i wanted a DFI because, well, i love DFI's.

i also picked up a Thermalright heatsink and Panaflo fan (awesome combo). top of the line air cooling.

ViN86
02-05-08, 10:32 PM
I agree totally.

see sig :D

dont forget the ultra quiet, high performance Panaflo :thumbsup:

LORD-eX-Bu
02-05-08, 10:35 PM
check out the DFI Blood Iron P35 board... I wouldn't recommend it tho if you are going to be using a quad and overclocking it later on :lol:

Revs
02-06-08, 03:45 AM
wtf, in the shower? :rofl

what type of coolant does that kit use? hydrix?

I dunno, but I know some coolants leave a nasty green residue when they dry up which is a twat to get off and conducts electricity. There would be NO chance of getting that stuff out of the slot and stuff. I thought it would have a better chance of survival if it was just water on the board. I just made damn sure it was totally dry before trying it again.

LORD-eX-Bu
02-06-08, 03:46 AM
sounds like hydrix, how come you never made a thread about this? :eek2:

:udawg:

Revs
02-06-08, 03:57 AM
I feel a total tool as it is. I don't need everyone telling me so :p

It may not have dried like that but I needed to think fast and I know electronics are OK with water as long they're not powered on.