PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware!

BronzeGod
02-05-08, 06:42 PM
Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy the Asus P5E-VM HDMI, no matter how tempting reviews may make it out to be. The board is chock full of bugs and no support. Getting a refund on mine because of a widespread Atheros GbE NIC bug and extreme instability.:(

Drolfrawd
02-05-08, 06:50 PM
Thanks man, as i was considering all my options, for a new rigg.

Tr1cK
02-05-08, 07:04 PM
Another Asus quality product brought to you by phenomenal reviews at Newegg.com!!

Srsly, I bought a socket A Asus a few years ago, was the buggiest POS I ever touched. I basically got screwed out of the restocking fee when I returned it. All the reviews for it on Newegg were great, but when you did a net wide search, the truth came out. I learned then to never ever trust the Newegg reviews. I then left a bad review for it which never made it on the site, gee I wonder. :thumbdwn:

BronzeGod
02-05-08, 07:07 PM
Yea man, I set it up last night, crash crash crash, freeze, silence......... automatically turns on and off. And to top it all off, the NIC worked once and then it never worked again. The BIOS updates make the X-Fi not work and cause even more instability. And the BIOS won't let you revert back to the previous version unless you force it with an older version of AFUDOS.

BronzeGod
02-05-08, 07:08 PM
Another Asus quality product brought to you by phenomenal reviews at Newegg.com!!

Srsly, I bought a socket A Asus a few years ago, was the buggiest POS I ever touched. I basically got screwed out of the restocking fee when I returned it. All the reviews for it on Newegg were great, but when you did a net wide search, the truth came out. I learned then to never ever trust the Newegg reviews. I then left a bad review for it which never made it on the site, gee I wonder. :thumbdwn:

Its not only Newegg, all the review sites are praising this POS! I've been through 4 Asus boards through the generations and not one of them ever boot up without giving me the finger.

Tr1cK
02-05-08, 07:18 PM
Its not only Newegg, all the review sites are praising this POS! I've been through 4 Asus boards through the generations and not one of them ever boot up without giving me the finger.
OUCH! Sorry dude.

Riptide
02-05-08, 07:30 PM
Review sites were praising the P4S8X back in the day.

What a POS that thing turned out to be.

SH64
02-05-08, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the warning!

Bearclaw
02-05-08, 07:44 PM
I've never had an issue with my asus board.

'knocks on wood'

stncttr908
02-05-08, 08:24 PM
Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy the Asus P5E-VM HDMI, no matter how tempting reviews may make it out to be. The board is chock full of bugs and no support. Getting a refund on mine because of a widespread Atheros GbE NIC bug and extreme instability.:(
I think I mentioned when you decided to buy this that someone I knew got one. He hasn't told me of any problems. :headexplode:

BronzeGod
02-06-08, 05:02 PM
Yea I remember dude, its only after i got everything in, I started reading about the nightmares. Every BIOS update seems to break something that was previously working on the prior bios. And another thing, DO NOT BUY ANY BOARD THAT COMES WITH AN ATHEROS NIC. I'll start up a thread separately for that.

andy_nv
02-06-08, 05:29 PM
Had 5 Asus motherboards until now: A8V Deluxe, A8R32-MVP, A8R32-MVP Deluxe, P5B-E, P5K.
The only one that's a POS is the P5K. Or semi-POS, in the end I got it working right.

BronzeGod
02-06-08, 05:45 PM
I've had 2 AMD class boards and 2 P5 series boards, none of the P5s ever worked right.

BronzeGod
02-09-08, 09:23 PM
Alright, it is now confirmed that this motherboard is a total POS. My friend got his today and we assembled the computer. Pushed the power button, fans and light turn on, but no POST.

Took apart the whole PC again, went through all the wires, reset the CMOS, even checked the RAM placement to make sure it wasn't a faulty stick, and still, nothing, not even a beep.

It is back in its box, ready to go back to Newegg for a refund.

Asus P5E-VM HDMI

andy_nv
02-10-08, 06:50 AM
What ram ? (brand and voltage)

BronzeGod
02-10-08, 03:05 PM
GSkill DDR2 1000 Voltage 2.0-2.1v. Same as mine. My board actually booted and then went haywire. His turned on but didn't POST.

andy_nv
02-10-08, 03:07 PM
Could be the same memory voltage issue that low end P5K boards have.
Try putting in some generic ram, set the voltage to 2.0 or 2.1, save bios settings and swap the memory modules after.

Amuro
02-10-08, 11:19 PM

Really? Asus was very good a few years ago. It's only until recently that it has become less reliable.

BronzeGod
02-11-08, 12:40 AM
Could be the same memory voltage issue that low end P5K boards have.
Try putting in some generic ram, set the voltage to 2.0 or 2.1, save bios settings and swap the memory modules after.

The board i'm using now has the very same ram in it the 2.0-2.1, and it's limit is 1.95v for ram. The voltage default is 1.8v@ DDR2 800, all boards, if memory is beyond default spec, will automatically POST at DDR2 800. This new board is just a lemon man, I hate to say it. Gonna wait for an mATX x38 to come out now that I have my money back.

We RMA my friends board tomorrow.