PDA

View Full Version : Lost Odyssey

Pages : [1] 2 3

jeffmd
02-08-08, 02:40 PM
Damnit! now I have to buy both freaking systems!

NarcissistZero
02-08-08, 04:39 PM
Peope look at LC and say "another Final Fantasy X"... like that's a bad thing. GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!!!!

I've had a pre-order in for like 6 months.

Xav
02-08-08, 05:26 PM
Peope look at LC and say "another Final Fantasy X"... like that's a bad thing. GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE!!!!

I've had a pre-order in for like 6 months.

Ditto on the pre-order. It's not a bad thing to be like FF and I don't understand those people's mentality at all. I think they are just being typical fanbois really.

If it WAS another FF they'd be peeing their pants to play it. Yet here we have a FF-like game from the father of FF and they gripe..."they" being PS3 fans of course.:screwy:

Lfctony
02-08-08, 11:29 PM
The game uses a turn-based system, something I like very much. Definitely getting it.

Lyme
02-10-08, 02:18 PM
If it WAS another FF they'd be peeing their pants to play it. Yet here we have a FF-like game from the father of FF and they gripe..."they" being PS3 fans of course.:screwy:

Why anyone would want to play a re-make of a re-make of a re-make, I don't know.

LO looks pretty good in the trailers so far http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30432.html

ralinn
02-10-08, 02:41 PM
Definitely getting this if I have the money!

Xav
02-10-08, 04:18 PM
Why anyone would want to play a re-make of a re-make of a re-make, I don't know.

LO looks pretty good in the trailers so far http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30432.html

Dunno...have to ask all the Final Fantasy fans out there (my wife included). Every new FF is slapping a new coat of paint on the same game more or less.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing however...if the people like it then where's the problem? Just saying it's the whole pot meet kettle thing for the PS3 boys that are bashing the game.

Another point being if the game was on PS3 then they would be heralding it from the mountaintops. :)

jeffmd
02-10-08, 08:57 PM
huh? you 2 do know one final fantasy has little bearing on the previous ones. Each one is a whole new legendary (usualy) story, new characters, a new world, usualy a pretty new fighting system (or at least really revamped). LO looks to be pretty traditional time based (and dosnt look quite as complex as say ,ffx/x2). FF13 looks like it may be a much better realtime engine like FF12, one that allows for easy combo and multi targeting.

spirited1
02-10-08, 09:23 PM

Do you think that because they're numbered sequentially?

Xav
02-10-08, 10:55 PM
huh? you 2 do know one final fantasy has little bearing on the previous ones. Each one is a whole new legendary (usualy) story, new characters, a new world, usualy a pretty new fighting system (or at least really revamped). LO looks to be pretty traditional time based (and dosnt look quite as complex as say ,ffx/x2). FF13 looks like it may be a much better realtime engine like FF12, one that allows for easy combo and multi targeting.

Yep I do know that but it desn't change a thing. Kinda goes for any other series whether it be FPS, action, RPG.

You can change the paintjob but it's still more or less the same thing underneath. Note I also said that there is nothing at all wrong with that. I've enjoyed plenty of sequels over the years and I'm not one of those that thinks you have to reinvent the wheel everytime.

My point is the game is being knocked over silly points in both reviews AND by PS3 fanboys. If it were a FF game or if it was made on PS3 it would catch ALOT less flak.

Back to the main point of the thread (pardon the derail)...I've preordered the game and cannot wait! (nana2)

Oh, BTW that gametrailers review was really good!

Xav
02-10-08, 11:13 PM
Here's a nice take on LO...there are LOTS of links on the page to info on the game from the married couple that are playing through it.

http://thirdworldgamer.blogspot.com/2008/02/of-lost-odyssey-final-fantasy-and.html

Lyme
02-11-08, 12:17 AM
Do you think that because they're numbered sequentially?

They are only numbered sequentially in Japanese, or so I hear. To tell the truth, I've never played a FF game. The online one for the 360 doesn't count, and it sucked in beta anyhow.

jeffmd
02-11-08, 01:07 PM
lyme, way back in the nes and snes hay day, a bunch of final fantasies released in japan didn't get released here, and so the US had its own set of version numbers (1 on NES, 2 and 3 on SNES). This practice was fixed with FF7 on playstation, which retained the 7 in all countries. Also the remakes of the older games also held onto the roman numerals of the original Japaneses one.

xav, what you say makes it seem like every game is just a fresh coat of paint on its genere then. ^^

Xion X2
02-11-08, 11:15 PM
Every new FF is slapping a new coat of paint on the same game more or less.

I don't know how you can be serious with this.

FF7 was set in a fantasy-style world with talking animals and characters that floated in mid-air. It was also a standard turn-based system with materia.

FF8 was set in a modern, mechanistic world with grown-up characters and a draw magic system--entirely different from FF7.

FF10 was set in a futuristic realm as the first "all-speech" RPG and featured a magic-sphere acquired ability system--something entirely different from the rest of the series.

guessunevahadit
02-11-08, 11:17 PM
I don't know how you can be serious with this.

Obviously he has never played any of them.

hazindu
02-12-08, 10:52 AM
I don't know how this game fell beneath my radar. I've seen it get some mediocre scores, but the description sounds good to me. I'll probably give it a try this weekend.

Lyme
02-12-08, 11:32 AM
It reviewed quite well over at arsT http://arstechnica.com/reviews/games/devil-may-cry-review.ars

Stoneyguy
02-12-08, 12:30 PM

Ask any Madden fan...or hell just about any fan of an EA sports franchise.

Xav
02-12-08, 02:45 PM
Obviously he has never played any of them.

Looks like I hit a nerve. I wasn't being critical of the series persay...I was more or less using that statement to point out that LO gets the deck stacked against it by virtue of NOT being called Final Fantasy. Were it a FF game, the reviews would be better due to the reviewers not knocking some of the facets they are knocking.

Read player reviews all over the net and see what I mean. Most are raving about the game and are NOT knocking the fact that it's a freakin JRPG doing what JRPGs DO.

As to my coat of paint comment...I see it as no different than liking Madden or FPS games (you like what you like). They all have a different coat of paint yet at the heart share the same guts. The little tweaks are not what I'm pointing at.

For instance-

Brooding hero searching for answers (or playing soccer underwater), meets other people searching for answers, meets bad guy/s wanting to take over/destroy the world.

Group of heroes then proceed to talk to everyone they meet, do errands for said people and fight monsters, ride in airships, plunder dungeons and level up until they are powerful enough to face the bad guy.

Rinse then repeat with next RPG.

Now after I've outlined all that...I'll tell you that I love RPGs and I love that whole formula. :thumbsup:

Don't get the underoos in such a wad please.

crainger
02-12-08, 08:36 PM
Is it ok if I get my underoos in a wad? ::o:

Xav
02-13-08, 11:12 AM
Is it ok if I get my underoos in a wad? ::o:

If you want to! Just be careful because cutting off circulation to the boys can cause severe discomfort :(

spirited1
02-13-08, 11:38 AM
For instance-

Brooding hero searching for answers (or playing soccer underwater), meets other people searching for answers, meets bad guy/s wanting to take over/destroy the world.

Group of heroes then proceed to talk to everyone they meet, do errands for said people and fight monsters, ride in airships, plunder dungeons and level up until they are powerful enough to face the bad guy.

Rinse then repeat with next RPG.

It's old, but it's still relevant..

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

Xav
02-13-08, 06:44 PM
It's old, but it's still relevant..

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

I like it!

Started up the LO about 5 hours ago..having alot of fun so far at the grand old lvl of 15 :)

Apollo 13
02-14-08, 12:40 AM
I like it!

Started up the LO about 5 hours ago..having alot of fun so far at the grand old lvl of 15 :)

how did you beat the bird like creature? You know the 1st real boss. He's taking almost half my HP with his hits...which is bull****.

JigenD
02-14-08, 01:12 AM
how did you beat the bird like creature? You know the 1st real boss. He's taking almost half my HP with his hits...which is bull****.

I got the game today, and I actually beat him on my first try, but I saw on another forum that he was tough, so I was ready mentally. :p

OK, the best tips I can give are, you'll have to use a lot of items and as much white magic to heal as possible. I believe he is wind type so have the mortal guy use fire magic as much as possible (according to the manual, fire is good against wind, but I actually used stone and it seemed very effective, and it's supposed to be weak against wind, so I have no idea), and I just had the others melee. I spent a few rounds only healing, revive whenever possible. I ended with one character dead, and one with 21HP and one with 82HP, although I could have healed a few more times, but I just felt it was getting close to being dead.