Pages : [1] 2

Kain
04-25-03, 04:59 AM
Which Internet connection is better?

Our local DSL and Cable Internet provider is as follows:

www.alshamil.ae

Kain
04-25-03, 05:00 AM
By the way, right now I have an ISDN 64K Internet connection.

marqmajere
04-25-03, 06:12 AM
NO...MORE...QUESTIONS.

You have the internet. Let me point you in the right direction.

Link for all your questions to be answered. (http://www.google.com/)

Kain
04-25-03, 06:19 AM
What the hell is your problem?? :rolleyes:

|JuiceZ|
04-25-03, 07:21 AM
now, now ladies :wimp:

btw, the general slogan I've always used:

dsl=up
cable=down

poursoul
04-25-03, 07:29 AM
i think i know what marq is saying, or trying to state. You come in here flaming and running through every part of these forums. You piss a lot of people off stating things that were never backed up, you just ran. You make it seem like you know everything in the world and in reality it's amazing you were able to build the system you have. To top it all off you ask every noob question in the world when you could easily just look it up yourself with little to no effort.

GET TO WORK.

digitalwanderer
04-25-03, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by |JuiceZ|
now, now ladies :wimp:

btw, the general slogan I've always used:

dsl=up
cable=down

I don't know about the "cable=down" part, but me LOVES me DSL as it's ALWAYS up and it's been rocksolid for me delivering consistant speeds.. :)

Originally posted by poursoul
i think i know what marq is saying, or trying to state. You come in here flaming and running through every part of these forums. You piss a lot of people off stating things that were never backed up, you just ran. You make it seem like you know everything in the world and in reality it's amazing you were able to build the system you have. To top it all off you ask every noob question in the world when you could easily just look it up yourself with little to no effort.

GET TO WORK.

Don't sweat the small stuff, that's just Kain. :rolleyes: If'n you want some real fun or get tired of him and want him banned just get him into a America/Mulsim argument and he'll give you the ammo you need in minutes. ;)

vampireuk
04-25-03, 07:54 AM
Lets keep this on the subject of internet connections ;)

I personally prefer cable, mainly because cable is currently the fastest in the UK:D

StealthHawk
04-25-03, 08:04 AM
Cable has always generally been faster than DSL.

1stFlight
04-25-03, 08:27 AM
Cable is faster however it's less secure, pick up a good packet sniffer and you can see what your neighbors are up to, of course they can also see what you're up to.

DSL is slower, but being a point to point connection, there's less chance of you communication being snooped on.

Personally, I have a warm fuzzy for DSL

SnakeEyes
04-25-03, 08:46 AM
Having had both, I prefer DSL. Besides the points already mentioned:

The nature of cable's shared connection (many users in a neighborhood on a single node), and the fact that practically all ISPs oversell bandwidth, cable has large swings in available bandwidth and latency. Especially after it's been established in a neighborhood for a while. Best example: I had Cox cable in Newport News, VA. When I first got it, I was one of the first in my area, and I saw bandwidth out the yin-yang. Transfer speeds approaching 3 mbits, with very low latencies. The bandwidth meant that I got large files transferred in absolutely no time, while the low latency meant my online gaming had great pings. Unfortunately, as more of my neighbors joined the club, my bandwidth and latency during peak hours (read: any time between 7AM and 12PM daily) went to pot. At times I saw slower tansfers than my previous dial up connection, and playing Unreal Tournament was a major hassle, with pings rapidly fluctuating from good (~40-90ms) to outrageous (anywhere from 200-1000ms) within an instant. If it had at least been a steady 200ms, I could have dealt with it by learning to predict where my target was going and compensate for the delays, but those variable pings meant that while I might have to lead by half a second for one shot (or worse), the next I'd need to be aiming dead at them. (Having to stay up until 1AM to get important patches for the OS or other software to download successfully stinks, too. :mad: )

When I moved to the Chicago area, I researched available broadband options, but still preferred cable (never had experience with DSL prior to this, and was under the impression that overall cable was better). At the time I found that AT&T, though having the necessary hardware in my neighborhood (and offering digital TV / phone service), weren't offering cable internet, on account of some excuse involving profits, etc. So I ended up going with the local phone company's DSL plan, at their then standard home 768/128 connection. Short of one or two instances of the network itself going down (BAD Ameritech, BAAAD!), the DSL was a whole new experience. Even though my transfer rate was lower than the best I'd had under cable, it was much more consistent, as was my ping in my treasured UT game. When other members of my family decided to join me for some online mayhem, I found that the 768/128 limit wasn't quite enough, causing the game to suffer ping spikes when 2 or more people were playing at the same time. Fortunately, Ameritech (now SBCYahoo) offered a cheap upgrade package (to 1.5mbit/256k) at almost the exact same point in time. I took it, and have never been happier with my internet connection.

I still hear the occasional cable user that has perfect connections, but it's getting rare. In fact, one of my clan mates, who was also in the VA Peninsula area (but another neighborhood), and who always used to browbeat me because my connection was crapping out while he had no problems, has now run into the same issues I used to have. He just was fortunate for a while in that it took longer for his neighbors to catch on to the broadband train. ;)

LiquidX
04-25-03, 09:25 AM
I would go with DSL. I have never had cable but I have heard alot of people bitching about the ping spikes. I rarely if ever get lagg(except in BF1942=SENT FROM HELL TO....), basically I have been a user of DSL for awile and it has been very consistant and stable.

Smokey
04-25-03, 09:51 AM
Very much depends on where you live, and the service privided by both cable and DSL where you are. As far as Im aware, cable has higher latency, but as has been said, cable will most likely have higher download speeds. Both are great, but as I have said already, it depends on the provider you go with for both cable and dsl.

dslreports (http://www.dslreports.com)

volt
04-25-03, 10:41 AM
If you want fast DSL you need to shell out ~$200 a month. Not so with cable.

SnakeEyes
04-25-03, 10:49 AM
That also depends on where you live volt. My 1.5mbit down / 256k up only runs me ~$50 a month, which is pretty close (actually, a bit cheaper, come to think of it) than what I was paying for my cable connection. Even though I might occasionally see higher throughput with the cable, on average this DSL connection has been at least twice as fast as I routinely was able to get with my cable connection.

I'd like to live in Japan or one of several European cities, where I hear of people with 4 to 8mbit connections though. :D:D

marqmajere
04-25-03, 11:17 AM
Don't sweat the small stuff, that's just Kain. If'n you want some real fun or get tired of him and want him banned just get him into a America/Mulsim argument and he'll give you the ammo you need in minutes.

Haha. I'll keep that one for later. ;)

As for me, I have a 2 meg cable connection. Runs nice and stable....cept every morning around 8am when they reset the IP addys, but other than that, pretty good.

LORD-eX-Bu
04-25-03, 12:12 PM
1.5mbit up/128k down here, not bad at all, I don't pay anything for it:D

-=DVS=-
04-25-03, 01:00 PM
DSL good for downloading stuff at constant speed usually and it uses your phone lines ( but its not good for gameing , have bad pings )

Cable good for uploading stuff , uses cable and or same as your TV cable ( Excelent for Gameing needs low ping )

Have 1.5 Down 256 Up , love it
Have 2 PC's at home connect them throu router and play games and still have low ping :D

Oo i pay only 30$ :drooling:

-=DVS=-
04-25-03, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
Very much depends on where you live, and the service privided by both cable and DSL where you are. As far as Im aware, cable has higher latency, but as has been said, cable will most likely have higher download speeds. Both are great, but as I have said already, it depends on the provider you go with for both cable and dsl.

dslreports (http://www.dslreports.com)

Cable have lower latency then DSL :rolleyes:

Kain
04-25-03, 01:07 PM
We have both, DSL and Cable, available here at the exact same speeds. So, you're saying Cable is better for gaming?

SnakeEyes
04-25-03, 01:56 PM
No. What it comes down to is it varies from place to place as to people's experience, even in the same city. IMO, cable is much more variable, since the available bandwidth between you and your ISP is shared among all your neighbors. If any of those neighbors decides to go on a p0rn rampage, your pings shoot up and your bandwidth goes down. That is, assuming many of your neighbors have cable. This is also why it varies so much- all your neighbors on the same segment have an effect on your connection.

DSL has a nice dedicated connection between your modem and the Telco, on the other hand. The real problem here is that it varies based on your telephone line and distance from the CO. However, once you find out what sort of bandwidth and latencies you get with it, it's generally pretty stable, and won't vary because of your neighbors (er, unless they cut down the telephone pole :p).

So:

Cable vs. DSL
-------- / --------
higher bandwidth / lower bandwidth (in general)
variable bandwidth (affected by neighbors) / dedicated bandwith (affected by distance from CO)
variable ping, shared bandwidth / more stable ping (not necessarily lower)

stncttr908
04-25-03, 02:00 PM
In my area, the cable is much faster and in fact less expensive. However, that might not be true in all areas.

PsychoSy
04-25-03, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by volt
If you want fast DSL you need to shell out ~$200 a month. Not so with cable.

In my neck of the woods, if you want DSL, you gotta shell out $200+ immediately to cover all of SBC's nickle-and-diming fees and deposits. With cable, there's no immediate out-of-pocket expense. They just tack on the extra $33-66 bucks a month onto your existing cable bill.

I don't trust telcos.

They're always cramming and slamming you with overcharges.

Smokey
04-25-03, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Cable have lower latency then DSL :rolleyes:

Once again, Im only passing on info I have read across the net :rolleyes:

The word on the street is that cable is faster for downloading (usually the same as dsl for uploading), unless you have too many users on your packet. However dsl has better latency (this translates to how fast data is delivered/received). So if you are into internet gaming then dsl would probably be the better choice.

Qutoe from here (http://multimedian.com/hardware/cable-dsl.html)

Well, DSL generally delivers ping times with greater stability as compared to cable, due to fewer fluctuations in bandwidth. In terms of latency issues, cable is again at a disadvantage - some cable users report horrendous latency issues (even with high bandwidth reports).

Quote taken from here (http://www.planethardware.com/features/articles/cable_vs_dsl/index5.shtml)

Smokey
04-25-03, 02:15 PM
I pay 30/month for my 512/128 ADSL, and my ISP has been great no down time in 1.5years, but if I want to upgrade to 1024/256 it will cost about 80/month, and I aint going to bend over for them, Ill just keep my 512/128 :p