PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought DMC4 for PS3

Pages : [1] 2

KasuCode
02-09-08, 12:59 PM
Been waiting 20 mins so far for this game to install... Its at 68%.

What the hell does this thing install that takes so long.

KasuCode
02-09-08, 01:04 PM
It finished. It took about 30 mins to install. Now its time to play.

Q
02-09-08, 01:08 PM
I couldn't believe the load times with the demo.

Wait 30 seconds to load a level segment, fight three guys in 30 seconds, open a door, wait 30 seconds to load a level segment...etc....

KasuCode
02-09-08, 01:21 PM
The begining of the game is kickass.

And I guess allot of the game was put on the harddrive for short loadtimes. So far I havnt had one over 3 seconds.

KasuCode
02-09-08, 01:47 PM
I dont mean to complain. Just not used to games installing is all. DMC4 does really well with it so far. But games like Hevenly sword still take forever to load after HD install.

ralinn
02-09-08, 10:02 PM
Jesus ****ing christ, where did Lady's massive breasts come from!?

Amuro
02-09-08, 10:53 PM
The PS3 version loads 3 times faster than the 360 version according to ign's review, so I guess the long install time is worth it.

NarcissistZero
02-09-08, 11:41 PM
I dont mean to complain. Just not used to games installing is all.

Are you on the right forum? ;)

And for the guy who complained about the demo's slow loading, mine loaded almost instantly, just like the final game... something was wrong there.

kev13dd
02-10-08, 02:10 AM
The PS3 version loads 3 times faster than the 360 version according to ign's review, so I guess the long install time is worth it.
Penny Arcade said it best

I love to hear talk online about load times which are "twice as fast" on the Playstation 3. It's very easy to double a small number. If you have two cents, and then you find two more, that doesn't make you a rich man. The reality is that the loads are pretty slick on both platforms, and even spooled from the hard disc the loads are by no means instantaneous
I understand how the install time is benefial (without it would take much longer) so in that sense it's worth it. I was hoping though that local cache would end up being a big improvement for load times and would eventually be used on all console games, not just PS3. But it doesn't sound like install is ever going to make the virtually unnoticable load times a thing of the past

K

KasuCode
02-10-08, 02:28 AM
Are you on the right forum? ;)

And for the guy who complained about the demo's slow loading, mine loaded almost instantly, just like the final game... something was wrong there.

I havnt owned my PS3 for even a week yet. Im very new to it.

NarcissistZero
02-10-08, 03:55 AM
I havnt owned my PS3 for even a week yet. Im very new to it.

I just meant you're on a PC-centered forum and every PC game but Scrabble installs... Just giving you a hard time ;)

Peoples-Agent
02-10-08, 07:10 AM
I would love the option of being able to do a hard drive install on the 360 version. I have a 120GB drive sat in my Elite that basically does nothing. You can't keep movie downloads off Marketplace so I don't see much point in it tbh.

LurkerLito
02-10-08, 10:18 AM
I love the game, I am about 8 missions in :). The install was a bit long, but it was so worth it IMO. Even if it had been optional, I would have done it. At least it was interesting to read all the info about DMC-DMC3 during the install. I only played the first 2 and I never finished #2.

Lyme
02-10-08, 02:15 PM

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080206.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181383
we clocked the entire install process at 21 minutes, 41 seconds.

Following that the opening load time on PS3 was five seconds against eight on 360. And then three seconds versus four, and four versus five seconds in following load screens, PS3 - 360. As you can see there's not much in it.

So over the course of an eight-to-ten hour game you might get your 21 minutes back over 360 players with ever-so-slightly shorter loading times. But really?

NarcissistZero
02-10-08, 02:48 PM
I read that a while ago and didn't agree with it at all... the only time the PS3 even loads is between levels... it's almost cartridge-like fast. Everyone I have talked to with the 360 version says it is not like that...

IGN talked about pauses while bringing up menus on the 360 as well... they said the PS3 is a smoother version all around.

ralinn
02-10-08, 03:27 PM
we clocked the entire install process at 21 minutes, 41 seconds.

Following that the opening load time on PS3 was five seconds against eight on 360. And then three seconds versus four, and four versus five seconds in following load screens, PS3 - 360. As you can see there's not much in it.

So over the course of an eight-to-ten hour game you might get your 21 minutes back over 360 players with ever-so-slightly shorter loading times. But really?
Lol, worst test ever.

Xav
02-10-08, 04:16 PM
Lol, worst test ever.

Makes total sense to me...you can wait in bulk BEFORE you play the game or tiny bits at the time WHILE you play the game.

If you want the perfect time to clean up your entire apartment then PS3 is your bag baby! Just start the install and break out the vacuum. :D

Amuro
02-10-08, 11:26 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080206.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181383
So? Faster is faster. and computerandvideogames? never heard of that website.

Amuro
02-10-08, 11:33 PM
I just meant you're on a PC-centered forum and every PC game but Scrabble installs... Just giving you a hard time ;)
LOL, yeah, and PC version of GoW took what, 40+ minutes to install.

ViN86
02-10-08, 11:43 PM
it's cool that it loads the game to the HD for faster load times.

but it's not cool that it takes 20+ minutes and it's not optional.

my two cents.

Lyme
02-11-08, 12:13 AM
So? Faster is faster. and computerandvideogames? never heard of that website.

I agree, faster is faster. But, me, I like to pop in the disc and play right away. It's like calling tech support. I don't mind pauses here and there, but waiting for 20min before you get their attention sucks ass.

Mr. Hunt
02-11-08, 12:38 AM
I was fine with the install because I know it will remain installed and the faster load times will pay off way more than waiting 20 minutes... I play through DMC games until they are complete pretty much... I still have to finish SoS and DMD modes... so I got a lot of playing to do still.

Amuro
02-11-08, 12:58 AM
I agree, faster is faster. But, me, I like to pop in the disc and play right away. It's like calling tech support. I don't mind pauses here and there, but waiting for 20min before you get their attention sucks ass.
Capcom did it on purpose, you know. They could have made it optional, but didn't, as it would hurted 360 version sales if the PS3 version was too perfect.

I was fine with the install because I know it will remain installed and the faster load times will pay off way more than waiting 20 minutes... I play through DMC games until they are complete pretty much... I still have to finish SoS and DMD modes... so I got a lot of playing to do still.
I agree. It's not like you have to wait 20 minutes everytime you want to play the game. It's just the first time.

ralinn
02-11-08, 07:59 AM
Makes total sense to me...you can wait in bulk BEFORE you play the game or tiny bits at the time WHILE you play the game.

If you want the perfect time to clean up your entire apartment then PS3 is your bag baby! Just start the install and break out the vacuum. :D

I don't think you can base a test off of a few loading screens at the beginning of the game. It's hardly a fair test.

Xav
02-11-08, 09:04 AM
I don't think you can base a test off of a few loading screens at the beginning of the game. It's hardly a fair test.

They also mentioned the "following load screens" so it sounded to me like they tested more than just the initial few.

Who knows...