PDA

View Full Version : So decided on my upgrade...E8500. What do you guys think?

Pages : [1] 2

K007
02-09-08, 06:07 PM
Here is the list.

Antec Nine Hundred 900 Gaming Case
Seagate SATA2 500GB Harddisk (32MB)
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Corsair 2GB KIT TWIN2X2048-6400C4 (4-4-4-12, is on a special, save 80AUD)
Gigabyte P35-DS3R MotherBoard
INTEL CORE2DUO E8500 3.16Ghz/1333
Zalman CNPS9700LED (Copper) CPU Cooler

The memory timings seem pretty nice for its cost. Its $118 AUD.

The motherboard...i had a look at Asus/Abit...i think Abit dosent do p35, while Asus costs alot more than Gigabyte...and i am pretty happy with Gigabyte motherboards they usually come with good price / value. Anyone got any feedback on the Gigabyte P35-DS4?

E8500 again, i went with it because i can save $50 bucks on it, at the same time with the discount/price difference to the 8400 is onlly $80AUD so..might as well buy it since i plan to not buy a new pc/cpu for atleast a year+(look at current rig -.-).

Cooler..i think thats self explanatory..it looks like a solid cooler...do you think i should get it...or stick to stock cooler?

Keyboard/HDD...yea..i need more space -.-.

No Video card, i am sticking to my GX2...hopefully the motherboard will recognize it and it will work..if not i will get a 8800GT, but what i am hoping to archive is..use my GX2 till the next GF9 card is out and we have some results and then i can decide weather to go 8800GT/GTX or the new 9800 card..either way i will have something to keep me busy..I am hoping the GX2 i have now will work, i want to see test how much if a improvement i can get from upgrading from AMD Single core to a C2D Dual core/DDR2..would be interesting to see how much % improvement it can add up for the SLI card.

Next weekend is the date i have set to hopefully have everything ready..i can still change some parts, so let me know if any of you guys know any better options..

I am not going to be using Vista.

Going to be drilling some holes on the Antec 900 Case, so a youtube video of a guy doing a great way to get the cable management going, so i am looking forward to doing that too ><.

dxx
02-09-08, 07:18 PM
Here is the list.

The memory timings seem pretty nice for its cost. Its $118 AUD.

The motherboard...i had a look at Asus/Abit...i think Abit dosent do p35, while Asus costs alot more than Gigabyte...and i am pretty happy with Gigabyte motherboards they usually come with good price / value. Anyone got any feedback on the Gigabyte P35-DS4?

E8500 again, i went with it because i can save $50 bucks on it, at the same time with the discount/price difference to the 8400 is onlly $80AUD so..might as well buy it since i plan to not buy a new pc/cpu for atleast a year+(look at current rig -.-).

Cooler..i think thats self explanatory..it looks like a solid cooler...do you think i should get it...or stick to stock cooler?

Keyboard/HDD...yea..i need more space -.-.

No Video card, i am sticking to my GX2...hopefully the motherboard will recognize it and it will work..if not i will get a 8800GT, but what i am hoping to archive is..use my GX2 till the next GF9 card is out and we have some results and then i can decide weather to go 8800GT/GTX or the new 9800 card..either way i will have something to keep me busy..I am hoping the GX2 i have now will work, i want to see test how much if a improvement i can get from upgrading from AMD Single core to a C2D Dual core/DDR2..would be interesting to see how much % improvement it can add up for the SLI card.

Next weekend is the date i have set to hopefully have everything ready..i can still change some parts, so let me know if any of you guys know any better options..

I am not going to be using Vista.

Going to be drilling some holes on the Antec 900 Case, so a youtube video of a guy doing a great way to get the cable management going, so i am looking forward to doing that too ><.

Cooler - Not sure. The one shipped with the chip isn't too shabby, and I can't see it really being worth it to spend extra money on the cooling, when the benefit will be negligible.

CPU - Why not the 8400? You're looking at a 5% difference in pure clock speed, which translates to about practically 0% after bottlenecks have been taken into account, and literally 0% after human perception has been factored in.

Mobo - yeah, don't see why not.

RAM - Only 2GB? Pah. Scrap the cooler, buy more RAM. Things will be faster that way. In fact, scrap cooler and go for 3GHz CPU, enjoy your 7GBs of file cache.

Keyboard - I'm more of an MS Natural man, myself. But, whatever.

Seagate - Och aye.

Case - If that's how you want your PC to look, go for it.

MUYA
02-09-08, 10:12 PM
You probably won't see much or any of gaming difference if you keep the 7950GX2. Sure you will be able encode and unrar/unzip, zip compress things a lot faster but, your GX2 will be the bottle neck in games

MUYA
02-09-08, 10:13 PM
I have Gigabyte mobo..very good for me thus far

Blacklash
02-10-08, 12:55 AM
If you overclock the E8400|E8500 don't put more than 1.35-1.4v on it. Folks over @ XS are talking about these chips rapidly degrading and in some cases dying with higher volts.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=173999

K007
02-10-08, 01:19 AM
You probably won't see much or any of gaming difference if you keep the 7950GX2. Sure you will be able encode and unrar/unzip, zip compress things a lot faster but, your GX2 will be the bottle neck in games

Yea, i am mainly hanging onto the GX2 now till we have some results out for the 9800GX2 card. If the results are not as good then i will be going for a 8800GTX, in the end all its gonna do is probably bring the price down a bit

If you overclock the E8400|E8500 don't put more than 1.35-1.4v on it. Folks over @ XS are talking about these chips rapidly degrading and in some cases dying with higher volts.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=173999

Yea i saw alot of E8400 threads of the sensors not working properly and people frying there cpus, which is why i want to get the E8500 and i wont overlock right away as i want first to get it running properly, and with the sensor already not reliable..i might as well get a good cooler to make sure it is actually getting some good cooling going on. Plus for $80 more..is not a biggie..remember this is AUD$ ><.

Cooler - Not sure. The one shipped with the chip isn't too shabby, and I can't see it really being worth it to spend extra money on the cooling, when the benefit will be negligible.

CPU - Why not the 8400? You're looking at a 5% difference in pure clock speed, which translates to about practically 0% after bottlenecks have been taken into account, and literally 0% after human perception has been factored in.

Mobo - yeah, don't see why not.

RAM - Only 2GB? Pah. Scrap the cooler, buy more RAM. Things will be faster that way. In fact, scrap cooler and go for 3GHz CPU, enjoy your 7GBs of file cache.

Keyboard - I'm more of an MS Natural man, myself. But, whatever.

Seagate - Och aye.

Case - If that's how you want your PC to look, go for it.

32bit OS. So i don't see the extra cost is needed on the ram for 4GB when only..i think 3GB~ is gonna be seen by the OS.

Whats wrong with seagate O.o?! I have 2 320GB Seagates atm..i love em..

dxx
02-10-08, 06:08 PM

I do sometimes forget that slang Scottish doesn't translate terribly well over this 'ere interwebs. "Och aye" should be read in a tone befitting a drunken Scottish highland dancer being offered an entire lorry full of whisky.

Armed_Baboon
02-10-08, 06:30 PM
I've got that Gigabyte motherboard and I think it's great.

I've also used them to build pcs for my dad, my boss, my work and my friend and no problems so far.

why not consider 2x 250GB hard drives in raid 0 for only slightly greater cost but 2x performance? Makes a big difference.

Blacklash
02-10-08, 09:03 PM
There is an overclocked E8500 over here in an X-bit review-

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q9300_9.html#sect0

Looks pretty darn good IMO.

amk21
02-11-08, 07:50 PM
Q9450 for me!!!

mcolbourn
02-12-08, 03:16 AM

I don't agree I think he will see performance increase in games also if they have been optimised for multi threading it will also show a lot.

MUYA
02-12-08, 03:40 AM
I don't agree I think he will see performance increase in games also if they have been optimised for multi threading it will also show a lot.
I am speaking from having purchased a GeForce 8800 GTX..on an Athlon64 4400+ system and then upgrading to e4400@3ghz ...and barely notice a difference. 2.2 Ghz ro 3 Ghz

Ie change of CPU system did not necessarily give me a boost. Games..modern ones anyway especially Crysis are GPU limited...and that is my point

Redeemed
02-12-08, 04:01 AM
I am speaking from having purchased a GeForce 8800 GTX..on an Athlon64 4400+ system and then upgrading to e4400@3ghz ...and barely notice a difference. 2.2 Ghz ro 3 Ghz

Ie change of CPU system did not necessarily give me a boost. Games..modern ones anyway especially Crysis are GPU limited...and that is my point
Furthermore, for the GF7 series the higher-end s939 A64s were more than sufficient. His current CPU is more than fast enough for that video card, thus the new processor wont really be able to do much better in that regard.

Slap an 8800 series card in there, then that'd make a world of difference.

Heck, as is my Opty185 @2.9 is fast enough to feed even these 8800GTSs of mine. Sure, it's a bottleneck, but on average I see atleast a 50% increase in FPS with this second GTS in. And dual 640MB GTSs require a lot more CPU power to feed 'em than a single 7950GX2 does. ;)

The list looks good buddy. Though, for video cards, you might consider something from ATi. That 3870x2 is hard to beat for the price, especially since with your mobo of choice Quad CrossFire *could* be an option. I say *could* cause I'm not sure if the P35 has a gimped second PCI-e slot or not. Just figured I'd throw that out there. ;)

And BTW K007, I'm really hating how you're living in Australia. I could use a good s939 mobo and some RAM to go with it. :p

Amuro
02-12-08, 04:15 AM
Furthermore, for the GF7 series the higher-end s939 A64s were more than sufficient. His current CPU is more than fast enough for that video card, thus the new processor wont really be able to do much better in that regard.

Slap an 8800 series card in there, then that'd make a world of difference.

Heck, as is my Opty185 @2.9 is fast enough to feed even these 8800GTSs of mine. Sure, it's a bottleneck, but on average I see atleast a 50% increase in FPS with this second GTS in. And dual 640MB GTSs require a lot more CPU power to feed 'em than a single 7950GX2 does. ;)

The list looks good buddy. Though, for video cards, you might consider something from ATi. That 3870x2 is hard to beat for the price, especially since with your mobo of choice Quad CrossFire *could* be an option. I say *could* cause I'm not sure if the P35 has a gimped second PCI-e slot or not. Just figured I'd throw that out there. ;)

And BTW K007, I'm really hating how you're living in Australia. I could use a good s939 mobo and some RAM to go with it. :p
The P35 does have a gimped PCI-E slot. For CrossFire X, the preferred chipset is the X38, or the X48. Too bad it was delayed... I was considering Rampage Formula.

Redeemed
02-12-08, 04:47 AM
The P35 does have a gimped PCI-E slot. For CrossFire X, the preferred chipset is the X38, or the X48. Too bad it was delayed... I was considering Rampage Formula.
What about the 975?

Amuro
02-12-08, 05:18 AM
What about the 975?
I think it will work but you'll be limited to 8X 8X. The P35 is 16X 4X.

K007
02-12-08, 05:31 AM

mm..would dual cores help with improving? I saw some review where the HL2 fps went up alot when they hit 4ghz..almost a 40fps increase :O. Anyway guys don't forget i am waiting for results of the the GF9 X2 card as well..i wont be able to return my 8800GTX if i buy it..when the GF9 X2 card might have more power under its hood..no one can say with 100% certain the dual gpu system will not function better or worse than the current fastest gpu..

)

I don't think i can even sell this current one i have..it wont be easy to find some one to actually buy it without a decent cost..rather just have it for backup/etc..i will be using Vista on it and keeping it up on my other room instead ><..

ATI might be good with its new X2 card..but i want to give it time to see what nvidia has..i would have to say that nvidia drivers..when it comes to games do tend to be a bit more reliable/quick than ATi..

I should have it all setup for this weekend..i just wish nvidia hurry up on there end ><

nekrosoft13
02-12-08, 07:47 AM
Here is the list.

i would change cooler, and case. if you want to play fear drop that keyboard as well. 4gb?

nekrosoft13
02-12-08, 07:52 AM

becareful with seagate, if you see made in china avoid them like the plague, those drives are made in former maxtor factory.

made in china drives can be from rather ok, to horrible.

MUYA
02-12-08, 09:19 AM
mm..would dual cores help with improving? I saw some review where the HL2 fps went up alot when they hit 4ghz..almost a 40fps increase :O. Anyway guys don't forget i am waiting for results of the the GF9 X2 card as well..i wont be able to return my 8800GTX if i buy it..when the GF9 X2 card might have more power under its hood..no one can say with 100% certain the dual gpu system will not function better or worse than the current fastest gpu..

I don't think i can even sell this current one i have..it wont be easy to find some one to actually buy it without a decent cost..rather just have it for backup/etc..i will be using Vista on it and keeping it up on my other room instead ><..

ATI might be good with its new X2 card..but i want to give it time to see what nvidia has..i would have to say that nvidia drivers..when it comes to games do tend to be a bit more reliable/quick than ATi..

I should have it all setup for this weekend..i just wish nvidia hurry up on there end ><

Dual cores might help a bit, if the IQ is not set to max? But I am guessing there.

If you want total IQ, a new card like a 8800 GTX or GT or GTS or X2 would do your gaming experience a world of good!

K007
02-12-08, 02:50 PM
i would change cooler, and case. if you want to play fear drop that keyboard as well. 4gb?

Yea i read about the FEAR bug with the keyboard...hopefully its restricted only to that..because i haven't played FEAR since the second expansion...

becareful with seagate, if you see made in china avoid them like the plague, those drives are made in former maxtor factory.

made in china drives can be from rather ok, to horrible.

Hmmm..isn't everything made from china anyway?

Dual cores might help a bit, if the IQ is not set to max? But I am guessing there.

If you want total IQ, a new card like a 8800 GTX or GT or GTS or X2 would do your gaming experience a world of good!

Yea i need to be patient and hopefully see how the new Nvidia GX2 card goes, heat/performance/cost, till then i can get everything ready, so once i get the card..its simply stick it in and see if it works..i am hoping if the GX2 i have works now on the mobo..then hopefully compatibility issues wont arise from the new GX2 from nvidia..

sillyeagle
02-14-08, 12:46 AM
Nevermind, had my facts wrong.

K007
03-14-08, 04:51 AM
Going to get the gigabyte ex38 DQ6, and e6850...rest is the same.

Motherboard is pretty expensive ><. the e8xxx are out of stock with 8200 as the only option and the prices are jacked up on all of em...i mean really really JACKED Up...

XDanger
03-15-08, 03:47 PM
There is an overclocked E8500 over here in an X-bit review-

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q9300_9.html#sect0

Looks pretty darn good IMO.
so a gtx with those overclocked quads gets less in 3dmark 06 than my oc'd e6400 and 8800gt?

more proof that 3dmark 06 is meaningless with modern hardware.

K007
03-16-08, 07:20 AM

Hey guys, just got the new upgrade installed. It took me for eva to figure out some strange issue with the GX2 running on the first PCI-E slot...

So far only managed to get Crysis/CoD4/CS:S tested...All of which went up a lot, CS:S VST went from 142 to 300 fps -.-

Will post later after wed when my net uncaps ><