PDA

View Full Version : Game Engine Used for Vanguard SOH

war_child
02-09-08, 08:31 PM
Was looking at getting this game but curious what game engine they used. Is it the same one used for EQ2? That game runs like utter crap on my setup.

Does anyone have a trail key I could have...that would be great :)

Thanks in advanced

Medion
02-09-08, 08:57 PM
It's an unreal engine game, though I forget which version.

Sobbsy
02-09-08, 11:39 PM
Take a gander at the Wiki page for the game, the engine is...;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard:_Saga_of_Heroes

UE2.X (Probably a 2.5 base that's been heavily tweaked upon)

spirited1
02-10-08, 09:27 AM
They have the Unreal 2.5 engine. Only you know the bit about it being "heavily modded" ? They're not lying.

What Sigil did to that engine was to completely rip the guts out of it, so much so, hardly any of it was left. They replaced it with sloppy, unoptimised, buggy code. A completely unneccesary act fuelled by egotism. They thought they could do a better job. They were wrong.

I would avoid Vanguard like the damn plague. They sacked 50% of their staff last Summer (everyone was told to go out to the car park, and that was where they were fired). In Autumn (Fall for you US types) they sacked 50% of what was left.

The reason for this is because nobody plays the game due to the sloppy optimisation, buggy quests, unfulfilled promises, lack of confidence in the developers, overhype of the game, a complete change of direction, some can't even get the game to load, CTD's, bad ping rates etc etc etc etc. With no money coming in (200k subscriptions at launch, now there's around 20k) there's no money being spent on development so updates come excrutiatingly slow.

The game cost $30m to make, and while it isn't the worst MMO out there right now, it's certainly the biggest failure. Even if it came free, I simply could not recommend this game to anyone (and during it's beta, I was one of it's biggest fanboys).

Avoid, avoid, avoid. And don't say you weren't warned.

war_child
02-10-08, 12:09 PM
They have the Unreal 2.5 engine. Only you know the bit about it being "heavily modded" ? They're not lying.

What Sigil did to that engine was to completely rip the guts out of it, so much so, hardly any of it was left. They replaced it with sloppy, unoptimised, buggy code. A completely unneccesary act fuelled by egotism. They thought they could do a better job. They were wrong.

I would avoid Vanguard like the damn plague. They sacked 50% of their staff last Summer (everyone was told to go out to the car park, and that was where they were fired). In Autumn (Fall for you US types) they sacked 50% of what was left.

The reason for this is because nobody plays the game due to the sloppy optimisation, buggy quests, unfulfilled promises, lack of confidence in the developers, overhype of the game, a complete change of direction, some can't even get the game to load, CTD's, bad ping rates etc etc etc etc. With no money coming in (200k subscriptions at launch, now there's around 20k) there's no money being spent on development so updates come excrutiatingly slow.

The game cost $30m to make, and while it isn't the worst MMO out there right now, it's certainly the biggest failure. Even if it came free, I simply could not recommend this game to anyone (and during it's beta, I was one of it's biggest fanboys).

Good enough reason for me, guess I'll stay aways from it. After reading a bunch of forums, folks don't seem to happy with the game. :( Oh well. Thanks for all the input.

Badboy_12345
02-11-08, 05:51 AM
I said it would suck ass before it even came out.. but fanboys dont listen :p
The game sucks and just play EQ2 if you want anything like it... well EQ2 sucks also but its alot better than Vanguard.

Just wait for Age of Conan like everyone else :p
Now that game will bring something fresh to the mmorpg genre..
You should see the effects in that game.. there is no game that even comes close and its a mmorpg! ****ing amazing

And its made for mature people, you wont expect flying pink unicorns like you do when you play WoW.
There will be violence, blood, gore, nudity, strong language etc etc

Tygerwoody
02-11-08, 07:01 AM

I think this about sums up my opinions.

Medion
02-11-08, 07:38 AM
A friend of mine was a quest developer for Vanguard. It was his first game, and he had no degree or anything in programming.

That's the kind of people they hired for this game. The fact that they thought they could do better than Epic with the Unreal engine is laughable.

spirited1
02-11-08, 08:00 AM
I said it would suck ass before it even came out.. but fanboys dont listen :p
The game sucks and just play EQ2 if you want anything like it... well EQ2 sucks also but its alot better than Vanguard.

The main problem with Vanguard (apart from the poor management) was it suffered from the "second system effect" right from the design stage. The second system effect is basically this: you make a successful product (in this case EverQuest) and then you think you can do better by simply taking the ideas you had and expanding outwards. By making it bigger, in other words. This does not guarantee it will work out.

Vanguard is vast. I mean really, really vast. They had 3 huge continents and not enough time and resources to fill those continents with interesting stuff. Half way through beta they knew they were in over their heads, and what they should have done is dropped a continent, heck even two, and concentrated their efforts on filling one continent with good stuff then add continents after launch through expansions. They overstretched themselves massively.

I rag on Vanguard not because it's a crappy game, but because it's a great game gone astray. The core concepts of it were fine, though most of those features were removed when they went into panic mode. Tactical combat with location damage (hit the mobs leg to slow it's movement, hit it's head to stun or confuse it and each part of the mobs body having it's own health bar), a difficult challenging world where travel was meaningful (no riftways, you used horses boats and flying mounts to get around) etc.

EverQuest, only better.

I knew it was going to **** during beta 2.5. There were less than 100 people logging in every night. The game was beta'ed too early and missing too much stuff. We were sent confusing questionaiires that seemed to have been written by someone who didn't have a clue what they were asking. Lead developers were quitting the project every other month.

We'd give detailed reports on our experiences with the game on the beta boards. We started getting tired of posting them and not having any response by Sigil, so people started just saying "x sucks, y isn't working it's crap, change z". Then we'd get the Community Manager or whatever saying "thats not good feedback, you have to tell us more than that". So we'd respond with "we did, here, here, here and here but you didn't respond to us". That too would get ignored and it would happen all over again.

They were stonewalling the beta testers. Stupid, stupid move.

This went on until they released beta 3 -- and it was almost a completely different game to the one in 2.5. What happened was they saw how badly received 2.5 was, and thought "we need to change it, make it more WoW-like in order for people to like it". Wrong. What they needed to do was fix the damn bugs and make the game work, not take a short cut. But they were running out of budget and time and I suppose their hand was forced. At this stage, all the big guilds started dropping out. The number of beta invitations being sent out was upped dramatically, thousands of invites going out every week to stem the bleed. Microsoft had dropped the game and SOE picked it up. Confidence was now at an all time low.

They issued a statement to the beta community that basically said "we're making the game we want to make, so you're either on board or your not." More people, including me now, left.

There's loads more stuff, some of it real tragedies like the art guy Keith Parkinson passing away (RIP man). Suffice to say, it's really sad what happened to Vanguard. It was screw up after screw up, like watching a car crash in slow motion. Vanguard was going to be the game that brought EverQuest into the next gen. The fallout of all of this is what worries me. Now, when a developer goes to make an MMO, would they think "if we make a challenging game, will it end up like Vanguard? Better make a WoW-clone to be safe".

For good or bad, Vanguard has possibly set a president for all future MMO's. I hope there'll be some variety, but I'm not holding my breath.

Just wait for Age of Conan like everyone else :p
Now that game will bring something fresh to the mmorpg genre..
You should see the effects in that game.. there is no game that even comes close and its a mmorpg! ****ing amazing

And its made for mature people, you wont expect flying pink unicorns like you do when you play WoW.
There will be violence, blood, gore, nudity, strong language etc etc

I wouldn't be so sure. Not until you play it after release.

As for mature people.. do you honestly think mature people will be attracted to a game with boobies, blood and swearing? Think about it.

Badboy_12345
02-12-08, 10:29 AM
As for mature people.. do you honestly think mature people will be attracted to a game with boobies, blood and swearing? Think about it.

The game is made for mature people and is very dark
Yes mature people will be attracted.

boobies, blood and swearing is part of the world we live in.. oh look there are mature people living in this world.. how strange that they didnt vanish.

Vanguard couldnt have been that hard to make either.. they took EQ2 pressed ctrl+c and then ctrl+v :lol:

HiCZoK4
02-12-08, 05:31 PM
about vanguard isnt it 2.5xxxxxxxxxx Unreal engine ?

Atomizer
02-13-08, 03:12 AM
The game is made for mature people and is very dark
Yes mature people will be attracted.

boobies, blood and swearing is part of the world we live in.. oh look there are mature people living in this world.. how strange that they didnt vanish.

Vanguard couldnt have been that hard to make either.. they took EQ2 pressed ctrl+c and then ctrl+v :lol:
While both were crap on release, im going to have to strongly disagree, ive gone back to both EQ2 and Vanguard recently, Vanguard still plays like a beta, though performance is fairly strong, EQ2 is actually fairly decent now, with a variety of starting locations instead of just 2 cities(and no, you dont need an expansion to start in neriak, its free), and the rise of kunark expansion is damn good imo, opposite of Vanguard though, EQ2 still performs like crap.

The future isnt looking so great though, Age of Conan is starting to chop features off the list(though its still my current choice), and Warhammer is probably gonna be $20USD/month, despite it seeming like a solid MMO, I dont think I want to encourage blatant cost increases(thanks EA).

Buio
02-14-08, 04:27 AM
What I remember most from Vanguard is that the renowned fantasy artist Keith Parkinson passed away while working with Sigil Games. He didn't do the cover for Vanguard (it was made in tribute to him and his style) but he did make the famous cover for Everquest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Parkinson

Most of his art can be seen on his site:
http://www.keithparkinson.com