PDA

View Full Version : Card temp: over 95C. Fan control has gone haywire

Ihmemies
02-10-08, 02:09 PM
Ok. I have no idea how long I've had this problem, since I noticed it today. I was playing Fantasy Wars with 169.01 drivers, and started to get weird graphic glitches after some time. Of course I tried newest drivers first, 173.65. No change.

Then it came to my mind to check temperatures... when playing, the card - 7800GTX - was over 95C.

I've never seen that happen before, normally it has been under 70C in both XP and 32-bit Vista for years now. Then I noticed that I can't recall the last time when fan's RPM increased to audible levels... Normally the card has been pretty loud (and properly cooled) when playing.

For some reason the automagic fan speed control does not work anymore. It does not increase fan's speed when neccessary, but it lets my card to overheat (and over the time to break up, leaving me with a FUBAR card).

I downloaded rivatuner, and with it I can adjust fan speeds. The only problem is, that in Vista every mode is Performance 3D mode because of Aero... and I surely don't want to manually adjust the fan to 100% every time I start a game, and then adjust again when I stop playing.

The fan control has worked before, so there is no reason why it shouldn't still work. Any ideas?

XDanger
02-10-08, 02:17 PM
Driver
http://www.filehippo.com/download_nvidia_forceware/

Rivatuner
http://guru3d.com/article/article/449/

Ihmemies
02-10-08, 02:26 PM
Can you read? Do you understand English?

XDanger
02-10-08, 02:29 PM
yup, Dont use 169+ ,use older (link provided for older drivers). 2d/3d detection is broken I think

or set rivatuner to automatically control your fans and 3D overclock/ 2D underclock ,if that doesnt work. (link provided for instructions)

DO YOU COMPREHEND NOW?

I have my OC set to a hotkey but with a bit of tinkering can set your OC to kick in when your temp hits an obviously 3D temp

Ihmemies
02-10-08, 02:44 PM
You yourself suggested 169.21 XP drivers without any reason.

I also said that in Vista Rivatuner does not understand 2D modes because of Aero. Because of that I'd end up running the fan at 100% all the time, which is not acceptable.

XDanger
02-10-08, 03:01 PM
no, the list on the right of the screen shows older drivers but I can see how that link would have caused confusion and anger (my bad).

2D/3D mode detection does not work so you have to set up rivatuner as in the link bypassing 2D/3D mode detection problems caused by the latest drivers.

Ihmemies
02-10-08, 06:35 PM
I see, thanks for clearer explanation :-) I'm sorry that I was being so harsh, it wasn't very polite of me.

Anyways, I installed older drivers and toyed with rivatuner. Still the same problem. Other guy elsewhere suggested dust. So... I removed the card, 6 tiny screws, and the plastic covering the heatsink.

http://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2008/random/_DSC8839_lr_pieni.jpg

:afro:

Dirthead
02-10-08, 07:03 PM
Card should be on last leg,My 6800GT looked about that bad and after i cleaned it it worked good for awhile and then it went poof.I didnt clean it till it locked up playing HL2,The game went from 35 fps down to 5 and it locked up bad.I was mad,Started making post asking what the heck posts,then i was suggested to cleaning it and i did and after cleaning it was fine but then while playing a game it crashed with a blue screen and that was it,Windows didn't even load.Replaced card with a new one and it worked just fine. Dust is bad

XDanger
02-10-08, 08:05 PM
http://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2008/random/_DSC8839_lr_pieni.jpg
:afro:
HOLY CRAP!!!!

How long did it take to get like that?

I hope your card survives after what Dirthead said, Thats one of the stupidest cooler mounting configurations I think I've seen by the way ,what were they thinking??.

At least now you know where your cat went.

Ihmemies
02-10-08, 08:33 PM
How long did it take to get like that?

31 months... 2 years and 7 months in other words. I probably should check the GPU more often :-)

ikjadoon
02-10-08, 09:51 PM
I hate to butt in, but how often should one physically clean the card like that, i.e. removing the plastic covering? I've had my GTS since about March '07 and have only air-pressure cleaned the fan without removing the plastic hood. Is it time?

~Ibrahim~

Dirthead
02-11-08, 12:05 AM
I would say it all depends on how dusty the room is where the pc is at..

I running a 8800 card as well and have not even missed with cleaning it yet,But i only been running it since july of 07.And im not sure if i want to mess with the cooler on this card.It looks to be 100% better then the old stock cooler.But i know it will still get dusty in my room so i have to try and clean it before summer hits here.

Tomato
02-11-08, 12:11 AM
Card seems old might wanna re-apply the thermal paste man. Not that hard on a 7800.