PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Direct Fan Control and Automatic Fan Control?

ikjadoon
02-10-08, 09:03 PM
Hi! I have a quick question about auto and direct fan control using Vista 64-bit and 169.25 WHQL.

Does direct fan control mean that it will always stay at whatever percentage I set it at? Like Direct/100% means it will run the fan @ 100% 24/7?

And what exactly is automatic? Does that mean it will run between 30% (or whatever the nominal speed is) to 100% depending on load? Or does it depend on temp.? Does the position of the % fan speed slider have any effect on the automatic fan control? For example, if I set the slider to 80% on direct, move over to automatic, will the speed now only go to a maximum of 80% rather than 100%?

This is what I want. I want it to run at 30% (or however low it can go) and then ramp up to 80%, but no higher. Does automatic do that, if the slider is at 80%? Or does automatic only go nominal to 100%?

The reason I'm asking is that I never hear my fan go really high (100%, I know what it sounds like) even when gaming.

Last, but certainly not least, what is the approximate fan speed I should be running at? I have an early core, i.e. less OC headroom. I actually artifact at 594MHz. 30% too low?

Thanks!

~Ibrahim~