PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my PSU?

Pages : [1] 2

litri
02-11-08, 06:01 AM
Hi there,

A few days ago I bought an Asus Striker II Formula and Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W PSU as soon i'm going to get a third GTX for my rig in order to have some 3-way SLI fun.

I installed the mobo, put all the screws and so on (hardware in my sig) and then i turned on the switch on the back of the PSU to on, everything was working (the ROG logo light, the lcd poster, etc). I turned the PC on and started setting the bios and so on. I didn't install the OS as I wanted to add some fans to the case.

The day after I put those two new fans and conected them, but to my surprise when I switched on the PSU, the fuse of my living room went down and I lost all the electricity current. Evety time I went to the box and i switched the fuse up and tried to turn on the PSU switch the fuse was going down.

I disconected the extra fans I added and the problem persisted, so I decided to unplug eveything and try things separately. I took the PSU out of the case and tried it without anything conected and it works (the fan does not spin, oddly enough, perhaps because no power is drawn)!!

What do you guys think it is?? Which steps should i take?

Thanks a lot!

Revs
02-11-08, 08:16 AM
Just return it. Sounds like a bad-un. You haven't trapped any wires while building the PC have you??

litri
02-11-08, 08:27 AM
As I'm currently at work i can't try it again but soon as I get home I will try the mobo again, maybe there was something shortcircuiting it, but it is very strange that one day is working and just the one after is not.

What if i really trapped some cables?? Re-building it again should fix it, shouldn't it?

Thx, dude. :)

Madpistol
02-11-08, 09:04 AM
1500 watts... isn't that about the same capacity as a hair dryer?

guessunevahadit
02-11-08, 09:10 AM
Thermaltake Toughpower

THERMALCRAP. NOUGH SAID.

litri
02-11-08, 09:20 AM
1500 watts... isn't that about the same capacity as a hair dryer?

I'm using it to power my small neighbourhood as well, xDD. :D

EciDemon
02-11-08, 09:29 AM
humm, make sure that the beast is on its own power outlet, dont share with monitor , speaker system, x360 etc etc..

litri
02-11-08, 09:37 AM
humm, make sure that the beast is on its own power outlet, dont share with monitor , speaker system, x360 etc etc..

When I tried it yesterday, TV, home cinema, dvd player... even the damn telephone charge station were disconected and the fuse was still going down. :(

Tr1cK
02-11-08, 09:45 AM
THERMALCRAP. NOUGH SAID.
Get lost, troll.

I would take it out of the case and connect it to only a few bare essentials to see if the system will power up at all. The fan not spinning could be because there is no load on the PSU.

EciDemon
02-11-08, 09:56 AM
When I tried it yesterday, TV, home cinema, dvd player... even the damn telephone charge station were disconected and the fuse was still going down. :(

Dang, ive blown fuses a coupple of times with me old rig back when it had a 350psu i belive. That particular psu later broke on me, I dont think it was any special brand as it came in my Nobless mirror chassi. With later more powerfull PSUs there's been no problems, but this might be unrelated.

Im begining to suspect as posters here, it might be a faulty psu to begin with, think about it.. good powerfull vaccumcleaners can be close to 1500w ... my harman kardon reciever peaks at 1250w according to specs, puter at 600w, brothers puter 500w with old 19inch crt and his stereo reciever plus some other things all in my livingroom on at the same time (you better belive we dont need any radiators in there :p )

guessunevahadit
02-11-08, 10:09 AM
Get lost, troll.

Im just pointing out the obvious, if you dont like it then maybe you should be the one to get lost :rolleyes:

The fan not spinning could be because there is no load on the PSU.

Or because as I stated earlier...... its a THERMALCRAP.

Revs
02-11-08, 12:37 PM
Tuningmaster? Is that you?? :headexplode:

Vik1dk
02-11-08, 01:08 PM
Im just pointing out the obvious, if you dont like it then maybe you should be the one to get lost :rolleyes:

Or because as I stated earlier...... its a THERMALCRAP.
Toughpower series are not made by TT.

litri
02-11-08, 01:55 PM
Get lost, troll.

I would take it out of the case and connect it to only a few bare essentials to see if the system will power up at all. The fan not spinning could be because there is no load on the PSU.

Ok, I just finished taking all parts apart... I put only mobo, memory and cpu/heatsink. I conected the PSU 24 pin main power and the 4+4 pin cpu conector to the mobo. I switched the psu on and everything is fine, no fuse is going down, but no lights are on on the mobo and usually the ROP logo light should be on as soon as the mobo gets power. ****!!!, I guess the mobo passed away. I'll try with the native 8 pin cpu conector insted of the 4+4, as maybe the other one is **** up.

Now it's time to cry :(

Tr1cK
02-11-08, 02:11 PM
That stinks. Asus hasn't been impressing me much lately.

guessunevahadit
02-11-08, 11:12 PM
That stinks. Asus hasn't been impressing me much lately.

Never an issue with Asus here and I have owned nothing but Asus.

guessunevahadit
02-11-08, 11:13 PM
Toughpower series are not made by TT.
:retard:

Muppet
02-12-08, 04:54 AM
I had the same issue on one of my old 850 watt PSU's. It turned out to be the power supply in the end. I'd take it back and get a new one. You don't want to damage any of the other components in your PC.

Amuro
02-12-08, 05:41 AM
Does your PSU come with a special 20A NEMA 5-20R AC cable for use with a dedicated 20A circuit? If your house only has the 15A circuit, you will have to use a 15A NEMA 5-15 cable with a circuit breaker, which limits your PSU to draw a max of 1300W. Usually a 1500W power supply will come with both types of cable.

litri
02-12-08, 06:00 AM
Does your PSU come with a special 20A NEMA 5-20R AC cable for use with a dedicated 20A circuit? If your house only has the 15A circuit, you will have to use a 15A NEMA 5-15 cable with a circuit breaker, which limits your PSU to draw a max of 1300W. Usually a 1500W power supply will come with both types of cable.

Out of curiosity, yesterday evening I had a friend come to my place with his
Toughpower 1200W (bought it last year) and we did plug it after my post in the thread in which I stated the death of my mobo. It turned out that his PSU was causing again the fuse to drop even with just the mobo, cpu and memory plugged.

I noticed that miliseconds after the fuse dropped the ROG logo led and other lights form the mobo were on and then off.

Could it be my house circuit?? It has never happened to me in the past, my previous PSU was a Toughpower 850.

I have to check again when i get home but i'm pretty sure the box has only one cable. I guess the info about the cable is perhaps written in the cable itself? Can i check the amperes in the house circuit? Where can I get that cable?

Sorry for all the questions, I need my PC to WORK!! :headexplode:

Thanks!

Amuro
02-12-08, 06:38 AM
Check the specs label on the PSU. It should say what A/C input current is needed at what input voltage. For example, my 1000W needs 13A under 115V, 8A under 230V. Yours is a 1500W so I would say at least 15A under 115V, maybe more. And I would have a qualified service technician check the house circuit as well.

litri
02-12-08, 08:29 AM
Check the specs label on the PSU. It should say what A/C input current is needed at what input voltage. For example, my 1000W needs 13A under 115V, 8A under 230V. Yours is a 1500W so I would say at least 15A under 115V, maybe more. And I would have a qualified service technician check the house circuit as well.

I will check tonight... In which other ways could i work around the problem? Will a UPS help me???

Thx!

Amuro
02-12-08, 08:35 AM
I don't think a UPS would help. The best and safest way is check your house circuit.

Vik1dk
02-12-08, 01:22 PM
:retard:
:retard: Yourself, they are made by CWT well the sticker are TT and thats all.
The one in my sig are the same as this one http://www.cwt.com.tw/english/2_product/1_detail.php?ID=919
And if you want to be taken serious do your homework ;)

Bman212121
02-12-08, 01:52 PM

Have you tried a different circut yet? It is very possible that when you tripped your circut breaker it broke. What happens is that the breaker messes up and will start to trip much sooner than what it's actually rated for.