PDA

View Full Version : memory ram vista

ATi
02-12-08, 04:38 AM
why is my memory performance is always at 1.98gb being used is that ok?

Revs
02-12-08, 05:28 AM
I think that's including the page-file. It tells you in task manager how much physical RAM is being used.

ATi
02-12-08, 06:11 AM
yeah 48%

Revs
02-12-08, 07:06 AM
That's fine then. You can reduce this by disabling Superfetch in your services.

ATi
02-12-08, 07:27 AM
thanks for the info :D whats Superfetch ? for

nekrosoft13
02-12-08, 07:37 AM
Superfetch is like caching programs, so if windows noticed that you open outlook or photoshop 10 times a way, it loads and keeps it in memory, so it opens faster for you.

it will stay in memory, until some other memory hungry aplication kicks it out.

note: disabling superfetch also turns off readyboost.

ATi
02-12-08, 07:40 AM
whats readyboost?? will i need it? it looks like readyboost is still on

Revs
02-12-08, 08:43 AM
ReadyBoost turns a high speed memory stick in to extra RAM to run your PC. It only gets used if there is a suitable memory stick in a USB slot and you set it to use it (it asks you if you want to use it when you insert the stick). That is of course as long as Superfetch is on too, as Nekro said.

ViN86
02-12-08, 08:53 AM
Superfetch is like caching programs, so if windows noticed that you open outlook or photoshop 10 times a way, it loads and keeps it in memory, so it opens faster for you.

it will stay in memory, until some other memory hungry aplication kicks it out.

note: disabling superfetch also turns off readyboost.
isnt readyboost is a separate process? that's what it says.

ATi
02-12-08, 08:57 AM
i dont know but thats what i see

ATi
02-14-08, 10:22 PM
any of this any good for games??

miahallen
02-17-08, 12:28 AM
any of this any good for games??
After Superfetch figured out I played Crysis a lot, my level load times were cut in half.

ATi
02-17-08, 01:05 AM
thanks for the info :D

Tho Jo Smale
02-17-08, 10:19 AM
After Superfetch figured out I played Crysis a lot, my level load times were cut in half.

Same thing for me and playing the Witcher. If I play it alot the level load times decrease from 15-20 seconds down to about 5 seconds. Readyboost and Superfetch actually work quite well. 2 great features in vista.

JC

DRen72
02-17-08, 10:57 AM
After Superfetch figured out I played Crysis a lot, my level load times were cut in half.For my example, I use Photoshop. Initial start time for Photoshop is 5 seconds. Subsequent startups are 2 seconds. I timed it to see. This is very helpful when I edit images, etc.

Revs
02-17-08, 01:30 PM
Yeah, there are pro's and con's with Superfetch. It will help programs that it pre-loads to boot faster, but it can pre-load stuff that it doesn't need to. If it's running low on RAM space it'll unload some of the stuff it pre-loaded to make more RAM available.

I have it disabled as my Raptors piss me off when they're clicking away all the time pre-loading stuff. They're fast enough for me not to really benefit from superfetch anyhow. I also have my pagefile disabled. Not alot of need for it with 4Gb of RAM, although some will disagree.