PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys install new drivers?

Melhisedek
02-13-08, 02:24 PM
Just over the old ones or uninstall old ones and than purge them with driver cleaner? Will it work ok if I only install over the old ones?

breathemetal
02-13-08, 02:31 PM
uninstall old ones
reboot
install new ones

i dont use cleaners, they arent safe a lot of the times

Intel-Inside
02-13-08, 02:45 PM
Install over old ones work fine 100% i think they remove the old ones for you.

Amuro
02-13-08, 09:54 PM
uninstall old ones
reboot
install new ones

i dont use cleaners, they arent safe a lot of the times
Same here, except I do it in safe mode sometimes. I never use Driver Cleaner unless I experience issues.

SLippe
02-13-08, 10:25 PM
Uninstall old drivers.
Reboot.
Run Driver Cleaner Pro.
Install new drivers.
Reboot.

Some run Driver Cleaner Pro in Safe Mode, but I've never had any issues running it in Normal Windows Mode.

t3hl33td4rg0n
02-13-08, 10:50 PM
Uninstall
reboot into safe mode
run guru3d.com driver cleaner
reboot
install new drivers
reboot

jcrox
02-13-08, 11:41 PM
Uninstall old drivers.
Reboot.
Run Driver Cleaner Pro.
Install new drivers.
Reboot.

Some run Driver Cleaner Pro in Safe Mode, but I've never had any issues running it in Normal Windows Mode.

what she said ^

icon57
02-14-08, 12:21 PM
Uninstall old drivers.
Reboot.
Run Driver Cleaner Pro.
Install new drivers.
Reboot.

+1 on that....it really is the best way....btw i have never heard of issues using driver cleaner pro...dont know where anyone got that from...

Intel-Inside
02-14-08, 12:26 PM
Doesnt anyone here just install them over-top of the others?

Yaboze
02-14-08, 12:58 PM
Uninstall old drivers, reboot, install new drivers, reboot.

t3hl33td4rg0n
02-14-08, 09:47 PM
Doesnt anyone here just install them over-top of the others?

There are many reasons to NOT do that. Heres why:

When windows is loaded, so are the drivers. This means when the drivers are loaded into memory and in use while Windows is running. When a handle (file) is open, it cannot be modified, renamed, deleted, moved, etc. I'll give you an example to try for yourself. Grab a video file, and play it in your desired media player. Now while the file is playing, go into Windows Explorer and try to delete it. You will get an error because the file is in use.

Drivers in this context are no exception. An installer will copy the files it needs to in the proper folders. If said file already exists at the target folder and is in use, it will not be replaced with the newer file.

In short, if a file is open, it is locked and cannot be replaced with a "newer" version.

This is why, logically, you should uninstall old drivers before installing new ones. Is an extra reboot really too much for you?

Amuro
02-14-08, 09:50 PM
+1 on that....it really is the best way....btw i have never heard of issues using driver cleaner pro...dont know where anyone got that from...
I haven't had issues not using driver cleaner pro either. I don't want to use 3rd part program that messes with my computer settings unless it's absolutely necesssary. It's UAYOR as stated at guru3D website. Plus everything that driver cleaner does can be done manually.

Eliminator
02-14-08, 11:39 PM
uninstall
reboot into safe mode
run driver cleaner
reboot into windows
install drivers and hdtv patch
reboot
configure rivatuner and settings

Blacklash
02-22-08, 10:38 AM
Uninstall in safemode.
Reboot.
Install new drivers.

Under Vista's Windows Update Driver Settings I have it set to "never check for drivers when I connect a device."

tornadog
02-22-08, 11:43 AM
wow...I am surprised nobody has said they reinstall their OS when installing new drivers. I have installed drivers on top of existing drivers ever since Nvidia built in an uninstall routine into their setup. And I generally dont bother rebooting unless theres an issue. I only reboot the pc when Windows updates forces me to. Also I only use drivers from nvidia.com and occasionally from nzone.com, but other sources, no thank you.

LT.Schaffer
02-22-08, 12:46 PM
Uninstall Driver
Reboot
Run Driver Cleaner
Reboot
Install New Driver
Reboot
Test Games for glitches

unitedflow1
02-22-08, 01:02 PM
uninstall old drivers,tells me to reboot then i do.install new drivers,tells me to reboot then i do.:)

MrSavoy
02-22-08, 05:12 PM
Uninstall old drivers.
Reboot.
Run a simple reg cleaner to grab any old files that the uninstall missed.( which there always are a few left behind)
Install new drivers.
Configure new driver settings in the NV CP how I like.
Reboot.
Done. :)(nana2)

Unstable_Hero
02-23-08, 01:21 AM
1i uninstall from control panel
2reboot into safe mode
3run driver cleaner pro, and driver sweeper
4reboot into safe mode
5install the driver
6reboot back to normal mode

everyone should do this except 3 (i like using both cleaners just in case)

its especially important to reboot into safe mode.

Redshirt #24
02-23-08, 07:34 AM
With only rare exceptions (for both nVidia and ATI), I've had no problems doing the following:

1. Boot into safe mode.
2. Uninstall driver.
3. Reboot normally.
4. Install new driver.

rudedog
02-23-08, 09:04 AM
- Wait for forum (here) feedback before trying myself

- Set restore point (just in case)
- Uninstall -> control panel
- Reboot into safe mode
- Run driver sweeper (free)
- reboot
- Install drivers

I then normally do other OS/System maintenance when I change drivers.
- Check start up files via msconfig, remove anything that should not be loaded or snuck in
- run Crap Cleaner to clean up files and check registry.

Mike89
02-23-08, 01:12 PM
I just do it the normal way. Un-install in Add/Remove, reboot when asked. I have already unpacked the drivers into a folder so when New Hardware comes up, I just point it to that driver folder. Even though this method doesn't ask for another reboot, one is necessary anyway to load everything properly. Then I reload the monitor drivers. Then I go into the tedious task of manually editing the .xml file to get rid of all those stupid profiles that Nvidia thinks everyone just HAS to have and put in just the game profiles for games I have or plan to have. Still don't know why Nvidia doesn't make it easy to do this.

Even though I have Driver Cleaner Net installed, I've found no real reason to use it. I have it there just in case.

g-a-m-e
02-25-08, 08:12 AM
The 'problem' with driver cleaner is that some users select '3d' or someting to clean.

This means you also delete your motherboard graphic driver thingy .

Just clean with 'ati' or 'nvidia' and all should be well .