PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here game with 8GB ram?

Roliath
02-14-08, 01:57 AM
Just curious to see what if anyone else does it, I just got my overclock stable so i'm weary of putting in all 8GB (afraid i'll have to downclock).
But just curious if anyone here does use 8GB did you see ANY jump going from 4GB?

( I have reasons for going 8GB, just curious to hear from what gamer's say)

jAkUp
02-14-08, 02:07 AM
From 2 to 4 I did see some in certain apps... can't imagine I would see anything from 4-6... I don't think I have seen a game use more than about 3.4GB's of ram.

Zapablast05
02-14-08, 02:26 AM
I currently have 2GB, but I'll probably put in another 4. I'm looking at 6GB. I know I won't use it all, but it's good to have that extra 2GB cushion.

Amuro
02-14-08, 02:44 AM
I don't think you need to downclock your RAM, but you might have to increase your MCH voltage a bit. And for gaming performance, I don't think you'll notice any increase going from 4 to 8GB.

Dr.Nick
02-14-08, 11:35 AM
You should be ok with your OC with the P35. Chances are very good you could OC even more -much more!. My P5K Deluxe had no problems running all 8GB 1:1 at 485x7 but the maximus on the hand burns its head at 425fsb. But tbh you won't really notice much a gaming improvement; maybe a tiny bit less hd activity. However, you can have tons of other stuff open in the background even while running crysis and Alt-Tab is always instant:)

Roliath
02-14-08, 12:43 PM
You should be ok with your OC with the P35. Chances are very good you could OC even more -much more!. My P5K Deluxe had no problems running all 8GB 1:1 at 485x7 but the maximus on the hand burns its head at 425fsb. But tbh you won't really notice much a gaming improvement; maybe a tiny bit less hd activity. However, you can have tons of other stuff open in the background even while running crysis and Alt-Tab is always instant:)

Well I do alot of other stuff, encoding, insanely large data transfers with compression, along with some coding and server administration.
My Q6600 wasn't that great of an overclocker.

I can boot to windows @ 3.6Ghz with 1.55vcore (vdroop is very bad on this
board) and I can login but it will lock up shortly after. I think I may have to drop multi (@ 8) and run a high FSB, Currently running 1500 1:1 on 2x2GB DDR2 800 OCZ dimms. The VID on my Q was 1.325 compared to 1.2 on others that i've seen.

I was just wondering how well if any improvement there was in large games such as oblivion, stalker, crysis, witcher, etc..

Thanks for all the responses.

(Only complaint so far is the dreaded TDR (driver stopped responding) on my vista partition that I cannot fix for the life of me)

Q
02-14-08, 12:43 PM
I've recently updated from 4 to 8, but I haven't had the chance to install any games after the reinstall. And, I don't overclock...

If I notice anything major in the coming days, I'll get back with you.

ViN86
02-14-08, 03:35 PM
i highly doubt you will see a performance increase in 4GB to 8GB.

tbh, it only makes sense to do if youre running extremely RAM hungry apps (ie high resolution imaging and CAD/3D Design programs).

conroejoe
02-14-08, 04:35 PM
I was running 8GB of ram for awhile. Didnt affect OC at all here, still stable. Didnt really care for checking the task manager and see all 8GB used by superfetch (Vista x64) so I went back to 4GB and XP. The only thing using all 8GB was the bloated OS.

Monolyth
02-14-08, 05:34 PM
I use 8GB's, doesn't affect gaming much, helps with audio/video apps (premiere, etc.)

It also allowed me to turn of my pagefile and my hard drives have stopped thrashing w00t.

Dr.Nick
02-14-08, 07:12 PM
I was running 8GB of ram for awhile. Didnt affect OC at all here, still stable. Didnt really care for checking the task manager and see all 8GB used by superfetch (Vista x64) so I went back to 4GB and XP. The only thing using all 8GB was the bloated OS.

lol mine sits at exactly 20% mem usage and I have quite a few things loading up with the OS. Also you obviously have no clue on how Vista works and I hope you enjoy looking at your empty mem usage bar and feel good about it. It's so awesome to have things and not use them!:afro:

KasuCode
02-14-08, 07:23 PM
Just curious to see what if anyone else does it, I just got my overclock stable so i'm weary of putting in all 8GB (afraid i'll have to downclock).
But just curious if anyone here does use 8GB did you see ANY jump going from 4GB?

I am able to get 4.4Ghz with my QX9650 and higher. The only thing that helps when running 8GB and doing some serious overclocking is the NB needs slighty more voltage then with 4GB. Talking 0.03-5~ area.

So really it dosnt hurt depends on the memory. My memory works great.

Oh and im at 16% memory usage in Vista64ulty While watching anime and talking on trillian.

Roliath
02-15-08, 02:35 AM
I am able to get 4.4Ghz with my QX9650 and higher. The only thing that helps when running 8GB and doing some serious overclocking is the NB needs slighty more voltage then with 4GB. Talking 0.03-5~ area.

So really it dosnt hurt depends on the memory. My memory works great.

Oh and im at 16% memory usage in Vista64ulty While watching anime and talking on trillian.
What kind of Cooling? Are you using any active cooling on the NB or Ram?

Lenin
02-15-08, 06:39 PM
From 2 to 4 I did see some in certain apps...
Seeing that you're using the uber-bloated Vista with its voracious memory appetite, this doesn't surprise me. On XP(32/64), you're generally fine with 2GB already. More is only neccessary if you're using extremely memory-hungry applications (like extensive video encoding at full hd or similar), or if you're using an immensely uber-bloated OS like Vista :thumbdwn:
However, even on Vista, 8gb is quite pointless and definitely overkill. Save your money for something else.

Comparison of memory usage in XP and Vista:

http://xs224.xs.to/xs224/08076/vista-bloat1307.png (http://xs.to) http://xs224.xs.to/xs224/08076/vista-bloat2702.png (http://xs.to)

miahallen
02-17-08, 01:22 AM

I do a lot of video encoding, and a lot of gaming, and going from 4GB to 8GB has improved my gaming experience a lot....BUT ONLY WHEN I'M DOING BOTH TASKS AT THE SAME TIME :D