PDA

View Full Version : CliffyB Disses PC Gaming

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

evox
02-14-08, 03:46 AM
Epic's CliffyB got all up in MTV's Multiplayer grill dissing PC gaming and state of the industry in general:

“I think people would rather make a game that sells 4.5 million copies than a million and “Gears” is at 4.5 million right now on the 360. I think the PC is just in disarray… what’s driving the PC right now is ‘Sims’-type games and ‘WoW‘ and a lot of stuff that’s in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That’s the direction PC is evolving into So for me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we’re doing. It’s important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we’re at.”

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/02/13/gears-of-war-creator-update/

:headexplode:

K007
02-14-08, 03:54 AM
**** him....

Greg
02-14-08, 04:07 AM
Perhaps that's his way of saying 'our PC port of a console game sucked'.

If you consider the 'Windows PC' as a single platform and compare it to other single platforms, it is most likely top of every category. Eg. 100million units sold per year, largest number of game titles, highest volume of game sales, highest value of game software (once casual games, web games, MMOs and subscription games are included). Sorry, no figures at the moment to back this up, but I believe this is true. (Can't find the article where I read some figures say this.)

However, if you compare a single mainstream game sales the PC does not look like a profitable bet. The fact that Solitair (shipping with Windows) is possibly the most popular game in the world does not help anyone.

Shocky
02-14-08, 04:21 AM
I guess that explains why UT3 sucks.

rudedog
02-14-08, 05:16 AM
I guess that is why most of the newest UT3 based games on the PC are terrible.

Just remember that when the so called "Dead PC" gaming industry is back again and again and again.......

I will know where to spend my PC $$ and it's not with an Epic based game.

I've been screwed by one UT3 based game and will not take a chance on another.

nutcrackr
02-14-08, 05:32 AM
waahh ut3 pc didn't sell well waaaaaaaaaaaaah

NarcissistZero
02-14-08, 05:56 AM
waahh ut3 pc didn't sell well waaaaaaaaaaaaah

Exactly... Good PC games sell a ton of copies, even Crysis sold over a million already, and it's the most demanding game available on hardware.

How did Gears of War sell? That's a pretty good game that despite a couple glitches runs very well... it deserves some sales. 4.5 million is pushing it, but that was more media hype than anything, hype that didn't really carry over to the PC release.

Anyway, consoles sell more... that's obvious... but PC gaming must sell really well, 'cause companies keep porting and supporting games on it, which isn't free.

Loreman
02-14-08, 06:06 AM
I though Gears of War on PC was really arcadey console crap. Hated it. I expect some would like it though. But to me it's not a "classic" PC game.

And honesty, how bad was this release of UT3. Console players might love it but PC gamers have seen better, much better.

But to go and make these statements is really quite outrageous.

six_storm
02-14-08, 06:07 AM
CliffyB just goes where the money is right now.

LordJuanlo
02-14-08, 06:34 AM
Luckily we have the generous 360 users to betatest some Unreal Engine games (Gears of War, Mass Effect) before they release the proper, final version on PC

Medion
02-14-08, 06:38 AM
I can't blame them. Console gamers have fewer pirates, because pirating games (with few exceptions) typically means buying some extra form of hardware. To pirate PC games, you simply download the cracked copy.

PC gamers have a higher rate of piracy, and it's been killing game sales for years. You even see people brag about it here and on Rage3D. Truth is, PC gamers are killing PC gaming, more than anything else.

Wolfhound
02-14-08, 06:45 AM
Waaaaaa UT3 doesn´t sell as much as previous UT waaaa, crybaby.... :rolleyes:

XxDeadlyxX
02-14-08, 06:52 AM
Meh... who cares what he says...

nekrosoft13
02-14-08, 07:04 AM
Waaaaaa UT3 doesn´t sell as much as previous UT waaaa, crybaby.... :rolleyes:

true, first UT game i skipped, maybe not horrible, but really not good either.

stop being lazy, game a good game, and it will sell.

omzig
02-14-08, 07:19 AM
You can translate this to.....

PC gamers have seen beyond our pathetic attempts to make them buy the same game over and over again (ut) but now were gonna try the same thing with the console guys to milk those suckers for a few more years why we do that we'll let other game companys make all the strides on PC and if we like what we see we'll try and buy them out.....

Mr B did you think that maybe GOW didnt sell as well on the PC as its 360 counterpart because its a ****ty port? No...well no suprise for us there then because it seems you pricks at epic dont ever check your own forums for user feedback if you did you'ed know why your PC titles arent selling well...

NarcissistZero
02-14-08, 08:00 AM
Mr B did you think that maybe GOW didnt sell as well on the PC as its 360 counterpart because its a ****ty port? No...well no suprise for us there then because it seems you pricks at epic dont ever check your own forums for user feedback if you did you'ed know why your PC titles arent selling well...

How is it a ****ty port? I am far from the best at computer maintenance and my PC runs it in 1680x1050res with everything on high in DX10 mode... and I get great frames. Yes, I have an 8800, but it's a low end model, and the rest of my PC is thoroughly average.

The only real bug I know with GoW was the stutter bug, and a simple google search solved that with an .ini tweak.

omzig
02-14-08, 08:12 AM
How is it a ****ty port? I am far from the best at computer maintenance and my PC runs it in 1680x1050res with everything on high in DX10 mode... and I get great frames. Yes, I have an 8800, but it's a low end model, and the rest of my PC is thoroughly average.

The only real bug I know with GoW was the stutter bug, and a simple google search solved that with an .ini tweak.

Just go check out the GOW PC forums over at Epics boards (http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15) if you want a full rundown of how bad the port of GOW to PC is & just how many issuse ppl had and still have with it,im sure you'll find a good few hours of reading....

NarcissistZero
02-14-08, 09:04 AM
Just go check out the GOW PC forums over at Epics boards (http://forums.epicgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15) if you want a full rundown of how bad the port of GOW to PC is & just how many issuse ppl had and still have with it,im sure you'll find a good few hours of reading....

You can find a thread like that for pretty much every game, certain examples being Oblivion and Crysis, which both sold really well. In the end, the game looks and plays like a PC game in my opinion, and runs well on moderate hardware.

Nitz Walsh
02-14-08, 09:11 AM
Maybe Epic should suck it up and put their games on Steam already for pete's sake.

I love GoW though, and it's one of the first titles I'll get when I upgrade my system - aside from some initial stuttering issues that an .ini tweaked fixed (mostly), it looks and runs a heck of a lot better than the 360 version (including the extra act), so while the stuttering bug was a bitch, you at least can say they're not ruining ports with technical incompetence.

UT3 however, really shows that it was targeted to the PS3 from the outset. As PC's GPU development continues to march on, Epic can't expect to simply port games from inferior hardware and then claim the PC gaming market is in "disarray" because they couldn't spend the time to tailor the game to the platform.

BioHazZarD
02-14-08, 09:17 AM
what a jerk.. didnt expect him to talk crap about pc market.

omzig
02-14-08, 09:31 AM
You can find a thread like that for pretty much every game, certain examples being Oblivion and Crysis, which both sold really well. In the end, the game looks and plays like a PC game in my opinion, and runs well on moderate hardware.

Well yes you could and id also agree that both oblivion and crysis had/have there share of problems...but you asked why i thought GOW was a ****ty port so i gave you a link to many many examples of why..Im not really sure what your point is? are you telling us just because other games have/had there problems that it doesnt make GOW PC a ****ty port :confused:

My main beef with epic/ppl can fly was that for about 6 weeks or so they didnt even bother to acknowage that there were any problems...

Destroy
02-14-08, 09:34 AM
So say 5 years ago, how come Epic wasn't putting out games for PS2 if they wanted to sell mega 'millions'?

Epic's disrespect for PC gamers is pathetic.

ViN86
02-14-08, 09:42 AM
what a little bitch. just cause one game takes off on a console does not negate another entire market.

sellout. i think he forgets the only reason people know who he is is because of PC gaming.

Wolfhound
02-14-08, 09:44 AM
Will not buy new Epic title.

jeffmd
02-14-08, 09:50 AM
pc gaming is in disarray, cause pc gamers have to deal with sh*ty game producers who make sh*ty ports or sh*ty games in general. And yea I agree, his gears game is a class A example of how one fu**s up a port from xbox to pc. Then theres unreal where you pretty much promise alot and give a little. ut3 is fun, but hardly any new innovations that would strive to be a 450 million seller.

and if he dosnt think first person games on pc sell... he needs to take his ass on a field trip to valve software.