PDA

View Full Version : Problems with QX9650 Temps!! Help!

tejas
02-14-08, 07:15 AM
Hi all. My Intel Quad QX9650 is currently idling at the insane temp of 45C at stock everything.At load it gets up to 58C and then throttles a lot. How can I resolve this? I am using an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. Could it be due to lint as I used kitchen paper to clean paste from Intel Stock HSF before?

Either way I am concerned as I have read on other forums that this CPU should idle at between 25 and 28 C at idle! Checked CPU with Everest last night and it throttled so I am not using it until I can reseat HSF.Would that help?Any tips would be most welcome. :)

Asus P5N-T Deluxe//2x1GB Corsair Dominator 8500CD DDR 1066//Coolermaster RealPower 1000W PSU//Coolermaster Cosmos Case//Pioneer BDC 202 Blu- Ray BD-ROM//WD Caviar SE16 500GB//Sapphire ATI HD 2600XT//

tejas
02-14-08, 07:58 AM
hey there. I have checked my t junction temps in Everest and Bios and both are reporting 45C at idle for all 4 cores.

Im getting in some isopropyl alcohol and Articlean along with lint free coffee filters.

I am going to give the CPU a good scrubbing with both alcohol and articlean and then mount a Brand New Atric Cooling Freezer Pro 7 with its TIM already pre applied. Do you reckon this will work?Thanks

PS I forgot to mention that im a relative n00b and havent installed a CPU since my old P4 Prescott 5 yrs ago. I am bit rusty! :captnkill:

Amuro
02-14-08, 09:33 AM
Check this thread, you're the only one having this problem:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105924

Seems likes a BIOS issue. What BIOS are you using, BTW? The latest one is 0802. You can try flash to that and see if it helps.

BTW, the TIM on the Freezer 7 is good stuff, the MX-2. Also the push pin legs can be tricky to use. Make sure you turn the caps all the way in the opposite direction of the arrows before pushing them into the holes on the mobo.

tejas
02-14-08, 02:45 PM
Hey yeah i am using 802 BIOS which fixed my mem compatibility. Actually you know whats funny. I had previously run the procy on an Asus Striker II formula (Also 780i) and it was giving 28C at idle which is the norm. However it has a dead CMOS which wouldnt actually complete POST so there you go.

I am beginning to become fed up to the back teeth with Nvidia and Asus.I only bought the thing for SLi and I cant even do that without worrying about the QX9650

I really hope it is a BIOS issue cos if not I am considering RMA'ing my QX9650....Do you think that is a good idea? thanks all :)

Amuro
02-14-08, 09:41 PM
Why don't you RMA your Striker II for a new one? It's hit or miss with Asus these days but the Striker II has a lot less issues compared to the P5N-T Deluxe.

tejas
02-15-08, 12:16 PM
hey thanks amuro.I am in the process of RMAing the Striker but I have had enough of the Nvidia 780i not working properly with my QX9650. I have wasted far too much PRECIOUS time on it....I'm taking back the P5N-T tomo and getting a Gigabyte board.

I'm going for a Gigabyte Intel X38 board and going for a Ati 3870X2 graphics card. Nvidia aren't getting a cent more from me.Their products have a lot to be desired.

I bought the setup specifically for SLi but if Nvidia don't want my money then thats just fine!More for Intel and AMD!! :)

ZEROCOOL101
02-15-08, 02:53 PM
Get the DFI x38. Runs great with my QX9650 :D

TheBigOne
02-16-08, 12:39 PM
Hi all. My Intel Quad QX9650 is currently idling at the insane temp of 45C at stock everything.At load it gets up to 58C and then throttles a lot. How can I resolve this? I am using an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. Could it be due to lint as I used kitchen paper to clean paste from Intel Stock HSF before?

Either way I am concerned as I have read on other forums that this CPU should idle at between 25 and 28 C at idle! Checked CPU with Everest last night and it throttled so I am not using it until I can reseat HSF.Would that help?Any tips would be most welcome. :)

Asus P5N-T Deluxe//2x1GB Corsair Dominator 8500CD DDR 1066//Coolermaster RealPower 1000W PSU//Coolermaster Cosmos Case//Pioneer BDC 202 Blu- Ray BD-ROM//WD Caviar SE16 500GB//Sapphire ATI HD 2600XT//
Problem your nv chipset, was never designed to run 45nm, shock it even works in the first place, get a x38 chipset can overclock better or if your going SLI get the new 790i board DFI came out with one a couple of day ago.

tejas
02-18-08, 04:53 PM
Sorry for the l8 reply guys.Thanks for the advice!!I have converted to Intel X38 chipsets and ATI graphic cards only from now on!!! WOuld love to get the DFI x38 board but they are not common in the UK where I live!:)